• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 139 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, this is tough for us MVDP fans and tougher for him, obviously. MVDP is a fighter and a champion. He will be back. Let the other stars have their moments now - there will be a reckoning.
I'm sure it's not easy on him or his biggest fans. But it might help not being overly dramatic everytime he shows signs of weakness or greatness. This isn't Greek or Roman mythology or old testament. There will not be a reckoning and when he wins it's not because he is the chosen son of Zeus. He simply isn't good enough right now and there are reasons for that as i have been saying for a while.

If nothing else, i hope it shows you what other riders have been doing the past couple of years deserves some more respect and isn't as easily replicated as assumed, even for a demi-god.

Reactions: kingjr
yeah sometimes it seems eerily like the Marianne Vos story.
IDK, to me it was completely obvious this was nuts. Giro to Tour is super hard for anyone, even GT freaks of nature who are accustomed to GTs. But if you've never completed a GT, it is madness. And van der Poel rather attacked his Giro. I think he needs more recovery time. It's not like you can ride the Tour easily and we're only a week in.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
He said he felt okay and tried to reach the finish line without spending too much energy.

Seems optimistic. He usually does a little worse after coming from training camp, and if they hadn't ridden very calmly in Denmark I would wonder if his legs weren't completely ready to start again with TdF-like speeds.

But I can't see any reason apart from illness which would made him feel like sh*t and a few days later okayish. Even an illness I would have a hard time believing it could be recovered from riding consecutive days in a GT.

I'm sure it's not easy on him or his biggest fans. But it might help not being overly dramatic everytime he shows signs of weakness or greatness. This isn't Greek or Roman mythology or old testament. There will not be a reckoning and when he wins it's not because he is the chosen son of Zeus. He simply isn't good enough right now and there are reasons for that as i have been saying for a while.

If nothing else, i hope it shows you what other riders have been doing the past couple of years deserves some more respect and isn't as easily replicated as assumed, even for a demi-god.
Logic, I am a FAN - not an analyst or expert - so it is kind've a Greek or Roman mythology (I'm also a Christian so agree it isn't old testament) - a story if you will. I've competed in endurance sport (at a very low level relatively speaking) for over 40 years. I understand periodization - base, build, peak - and I understand the complete chaos that has been MVDP's situation for quite a while now. He gives a huge amount to his fans and at the end of the day I want whatever is best for him. But, the beauty of MVDP and his God-given talent and self-belief is that you never know what might be possible. Would you bet your house on him not winning a stage this TDF?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Logic, I am a FAN - not an analyst or expert - so it is kind've a Greek or Roman mythology (I'm also a Christian so agree it isn't old testament) - a story if you will. I've competed in endurance sport (at a very low level relatively speaking) for over 40 years. I understand periodization - base, build, peak - and I understand the complete chaos that has been MVDP's situation for quite a while now. He gives a huge amount to his fans and at the end of the day I want whatever is best for him. But, the beauty of MVDP and his God-given talent and self-belief is that you never know what might be possible. Would you bet your house on him not winning a stage this TDF?
I would not bet my house on anything. And i fully understand the appeal. I think tactically he is unpredictable but his form (both good and bad) seldom is. And i think you are mixing those.

Reactions: senna6541
Come on Logic, you wouldn't have bet your house on Wout today after the peloton sat up? I probably would have against the current field - no MVDP or ALPH. As a fan, it's tough watching a lesser MVDP in races that were tailor made for him - i.e. the World Championships last year and stages like 4,5,6,8 in this TDF. Still, at this point I see no harm him staying in the fight. He doesn't have to worry about the MTB, and has plenty of time to rest and get ready for the WC's. Also, if his body switches on (kind've like he did on that stage at TA in fall 2020 after a tough spell), I see him winning 10, 14, and 16. You have to believe, brother.

Come on Logic, you wouldn't have bet your house on Wout today after the peloton sat up? I probably would have against the current field - no MVDP or ALPH. As a fan, it's tough watching a lesser MVDP in races that were tailor made for him - i.e. the World Championships last year and stages like 4,5,6,8 in this TDF. Still, at this point I see no harm him staying in the fight. He doesn't have to worry about the MTB, and has plenty of time to rest and get ready for the WC's. Also, if his body switches on (kind've like he did on that stage at TA in fall 2020 after a tough spell), I see him winning 10, 14, and 16. You have to believe, brother.
I don't believe in him getting better, but he might not get much worse, while most of the peloton will as the Tour goes on. So who knows.

If you would bet your house today, or days like it, you must be a rich man by now.

I am one of the biggest vdP fans out there,, at least probably in the USA (Senna maybe on par)...and I have to admit I am a bit jealous of how WvA has surpassed MvdP at this moment. I don't know if he has a better training program, better team, better makeup, or what, but it's interesting to see this split in their careers right now. We can say, oh but wait until this or that, but at the moment, 7/2022, this is how their careers have developed.

Having said that, based on what I've seen so far, they DO go through these periods of one clearly being stronger than the other, but for certain it's tilted in WvA's side right now.

I think there are many who were slightly bemused and a little conserned mvdp went from no grand tour at all, to "I hear it is good for your development as a rider", so - let's do two back to back. Especially given his precarious start to the season.

The man does what he likes, it's part of the reason for his appeal, but sometimes you have to wonder.

I have big questions about "the entourage" of VDP . After the debacle last year with the serious back problems, where VDP kept training and riding on against all medical advice .... until his abandonment in a cyclocross in December.

Thereafter, riding two GT's this year, with a conditional base that is too limited, is madness. It also surprises me that he isn't smarter himself and goes against his supervisors.

I am one of the biggest vdP fans out there,, at least probably in the USA (Senna maybe on par)...and I have to admit I am a bit jealous of how WvA has surpassed MvdP at this moment. I don't know if he has a better training program, better team, better makeup, or what, but it's interesting to see this split in their careers right now. We can say, oh but wait until this or that, but at the moment, 7/2022, this is how their careers have developed.

Having said that, based on what I've seen so far, they DO go through these periods of one clearly being stronger than the other, but for certain it's tilted in WvA's side right now.

Jumbo prepare for the TdF like it's their own giant Christmas party. The entire set-up obsesses over this objective & Wout van Aert is the central protagonist of their plans. They have the Netflix show & they're even running a "Wout's world" mini series on their Twitter. Van der Poel meanwhile has no such environment. It's just him coming out of a Giro (in which he did a lot of breakaways all over the road) & a team hoping for the best.

I don't think it says much about where both riders will be in future races (classics, monuments etc.). But WvA will always have an advantage in the TdF due to his team.

Better training program and better discipline is what has made Wout greater than MvdP...no lies just facts.

TRENDING THREADS