• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 141 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As for this Tour edition. In my opinion he was hit by a Giro-Tour double. Mistake he likely wont' repeat in the future.
As i said already back in April, and now Daddy, Daddy Poel comes to the same conclusion: it went wrong in the winter because he didn't get enough time to build up a solid base. That's what went wrong. Both in the Giro (where he could have dominated but didn't) and the Tour (where he imploded). For an athlete like him it is possible to do both GT's, just not under these conditions. Under these conditions it was indeed stupid to have him ride the TDF on top of the Giro.

Also i have no idea what your point is by that picture then.

Reactions: Dekker_Tifosi
@Logic-is-your-friend

In my opinion the fact is van der Poel is not a GT rider in the first place. There is no amount of preparation he can do to fix that. That is to shine in Giro-Tour double.

As for the picture. If he would really be that bad at Giro as you say. Such picture would never have happened. I remember somewhere in the middle of the Giro thinking to myself. This van der Poel guy. He is exceeding my expectation on this Giro edition. Hence i will just go with that.

@Logic-is-your-friend

In my opinion the fact is van der Poel is not a GT rider in the first place. There is no amount of preparation he can do to fix that. That is to shine in Giro-Tour double.

As for the picture. If he would really be that bad at Giro as you say. Such picture would never have happened. I remember somewhere in the middle of the Giro thinking to myself. This van der Poel guy. He is exceeding my expectation on this Giro edition. Hence i will just go with that.
Where did i say he was bad? I literally said he was good. But not monstrous, like he can be.
You will not find a picture of Evenepoel like that because in 2021 covid prevented things like that.

I agree he is not a GT rider per se, but he can certainly ride two for stagehunting. Just picking his days.

Reactions: Dekker_Tifosi
@Logic-is-your-friend

He did the whole Giro and the level was in my opinion monstrous. Maybe you just have too big expectations. For a rider of his type. In my opinion it's rather normal if he does the "classics week" on lets say the Tour and then to abandon. This is likely what he should be after in the first place.

As for picture and Covid. Fair enough. Will keep an eye on this years Vuelta. For something like that to emerge.

He rushed his training in February and March to be strong for Flanders. It worked, but he tried to keep it going and burned out. Too ambitious, its normal.

I know he said he wouldn't do MTB this year. But if I was him I would rest and then do some MTB stuff in August. Away from big road races, relax and enjoy the bike. Maybe come back for WC.
exactly

We'll see what comes next - whatever it takes for him to get back to real top form. His prep has been so chaotic with the back and then trying to smoke and mirror his way into the classics. Giro was clearly lesser MVDP - and then the TDF. Looking forward to seeing him back in full flight where anything is possible. Nothing like watching this guy race bikes when he is on - a bit different than everyone else.

Reactions: stonerider
He was nowhere near full strength when he finished third in Paris-Roubaix last fall. Should we have left him there too? Come on , get it? The penny has now turned the other way. And that's just that, isn't it? Soon that quarter will be straight again and it will fall in the right direction again.” All you need to know about MVDP. Then he goes on and delivers a win at the biggest race of the year in the spring - on a crash training program. Can't wait to see this guy 100% right again.

Reactions: Didinho
Maybe Tour of Germany or Plouay? Or Vattenfall classic? No clue, but he needs to get back soon, Id also assume he goes to Canada.

His team isn't going to the Canada classics, neither to Plouay.

Given past schedules I would say:

• Schaal Sels
  • Deutschland Tour (since he might need some stage race rhythm and it's the only option apart from the Danmark Rundt, which I think it's too soon)
  • GP Wallonie
  • Primus Classic
I would like the team to go to Tour of Britain, as it was a nice build-up race in 2019, but they aren't on the startlist either.

Reactions: Sandisfan
His team isn't going to the Canada classics, neither to Plouay.

Given past schedules I would say:

• Schaal Sels
  • Deutschland Tour (since he might need some stage race rhythm and it's the only option apart from the Danmark Rundt, which I think it's too soon)
  • GP Wallonie
  • Primus Classic
I would like the team to go to Tour of Britain, as it was a nice build-up race in 2019, but they aren't on the startlist either.
If u win the Tour of Britain, u flop at the wolrd championships. Its happened the last 3 times

TRENDING THREADS