• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 145 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van der Poel is an adult. Is the team staff supposed to babysit him, so he doesn't behave badly? He doesn't really appear to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. Any sensible person would have called the hotel staff to complain. He decided to take action himself, which also means that he himself should face the consequences. Shedding the blame on the team or hotel, is in my opinion not warranted.

Last edited:
Do you think you come here and throw a few jabs at our kids mate!

5f104ad7d212fedfb65aa4ae9be54da4

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
That is probably not specific enough as acting out on a sense of entitlement seems to be the offence here. Given that he descends from cycling aristocracy, perhaps the proper moniker in our context would be upper class twit of the year.

Real facepalm stuff.
"I went to bed early and many children in the hallway of my room found it necessary to knock on the door continuously. After a few times I was done with it. I didn't ask so nicely to stop. Then the police were called and I was taken," Van der Poel explained to Sporza. It was also reported that Van der Poel told his team manager that he did not touch the teenagers.

If he didn't actually touch them, which no one has confirmed is MvdP's story, then he really is a victim here. But we will see what comes out over the next few days, which may or may not clear anything up.

"I went to bed early and many children in the hallway of my room found it necessary to knock on the door continuously. After a few times I was done with it. I didn't ask so nicely to stop. Then the police were called and I was taken," Van der Poel explained to Sporza. It was also reported that Van der Poel told his team manager that he did not touch the teenagers.

If he didn't actually touch them, which no one has confirmed is MvdP's story, then he really is a victim here. But we will see what comes out over the next few days, which may or may not clear anything up.

If he hadn't touched them then why one of them had some bruise? Telekinesis is MVP's strong side, it seems. I think he did at least push one of them but such things can happen to people, especially those with impulsive nature: the man was stressed due to the incoming WC race, they didn't let him get a proper sleep and he exploded. He made a mistake but I wouldn't be too harsh on him.

He can try to sue them for harassement and damages if he asked them to stop on the earlier knocks. (Not sure if that is the case from the story though..)

But agree with others, something is fishy... (besides seemingly the spoiled brats) that there are no others in the hall complaining? that the staff didn't do something? (or were they never informed).

But unless he beaten those girls, i don't understand those parents complaining when their kids are pushed when they throw a tandrum...

If he hadn't touched them then why one of them had some bruise? Telekinesis is MVP's strong side, it seems. I think he did at least push one of them but such things can happen to people, especially those with impulsive nature: the man was stressed due to the incoming WC race, they didn't let him get a proper sleep and he exploded. He made a mistake but I wouldn't be too harsh on him.

He apparently pushed them, one got a graze on the elbow. Hardly a smoking gun to have a graze on ones elbow.

However, the most likely scenario remains that they are telling the truth and he pushed them - but at this point it may be the case that he says he did not. We will have to wait and see

Reactions: noob
He can try to sue them for harassement and damages if he asked them to stop on the earlier knocks. (Not sure if that is the case from the story though..)

But agree with others, something is fishy... (besides seemingly the spoiled brats) that there are no others in the hall complaining? that the staff didn't do something? (or were they never informed).

But unless he beaten those girls, i don't understand those parents complaining when their kids are pushed when they throw a tandrum...

Good luck suing minors, you'd have to go after their parents and prove they had reason to believe they're children were harassing a pro cyclist on the eve of his world championship and failed to stop them. Good luck with that I reckon :/

He is already pretty screwed by virtue of being alone with two minors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monte Serra
My first thought on the MvDP incident was: that cannot be true - now, within few weeks, the two „Mr nice guy(s)“ Primoz and Mathieu both had a scandal for the first time.

Primoz crashes full speed into Fred Wright and declares Wright guilty (and declares riders like Wright the evil of cycling), and Mathieu goes angry at even female kids…

I think in both incidents nothing happened that couldn‘t be repaired in future.

I hope for a handshake of Primoz and Wright in the next race they both ride. And I hope for a happy end between Mathieu and the noisy girls - so Mathieu will soon be able to count the girls and their parents to his closest and most enthusiastic supporters/fans… :)

TRENDING THREADS