• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 148 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've always wondered how elite athletes are able to sleep at night during races without sleeping pills. How it's even possible with those high adrenaline levels. But I guess that's a question for the clinic.
I was never even close to the level of these guys, but when I was doing the NORBA series, and other regional series, flopping in crappy hotel rooms, on couches, or in the back of my Nissan PU, I got into a routine/rhythm of sleeping before races. Yep, you are amped up for tomorrow morning and you are in an unfamiliar bed, but you just get used to it when you do it enough (you get to a point that no bed is familiar, which is its own form of familiar). I did travel with my own pillow though.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I was never even close to the level of these guys, but when I was doing the NORBA series, and other regional series, flopping in crappy hotel rooms, on couches, or in the back of my Nissan PU, I got into a routine/rhythm of sleeping before races. Yep, you are amped up for tomorrow morning and you are in an unfamiliar bed, but you just get used to it when you do it enough (you get to a point that no bed is familiar, which is its own form of familiar). I did travel with my own pillow though.
Thanks :) Would you have slept through disturbances? Or just bring ear plugs?

Reactions: jmdirt
I don't necessarily care about MvdP, but it is absurd that functioning teens, a modern invention, should behave like swine and not suffer the consequences.
True. I have a 14-year old daughter, and she sure as hell isn't going to be found running around a hotel at night banging on people's doors. Not only horrible behavior, but dangerous as well.

We don’t know if MVDP or GF did call the front desk to complain.
We don’t know if either called the police.
we don’t know if either was called if they were slow to respond.
We don’t know if MVDP or GF asked the teens to stop and if they had to repeatedly ask.
We don’t know if MVDP hit any of them.
We don’t know if they fell running away after being caught and told off by MVDP.

It’s a crappy situation to be put in. If he did call the front desk or police and they weren’t responding, I wonder how many posters that are lambasting him for confronting the teens would have reacted if you were trying to sleep for an extremely important goal of yours that you had one chance of getting.

I don't think he'll do anymore RR.

He was very down after the Tour (mentally as well) and according to the team finally happy again just before the worlds, because the legs were good again and he was really looking forward to it.

This is the second major mental blow in a short period of time. I think he just wants nothing to do with cycling until CX now.

He rode a bad tour de france, but he is a professional athlete and should be able to cope with that. Every rider has a bad period now and then and MVP is no exeption. He had a marvelous carreer until know and he should be able to deal with bad spells. That's part of being a world class athlete. Look at what Evenepoel did the last few years.

That being said, what has happened to him last night is plain ridiculous. The Australians are idiots for what they did. I am not saying they should let him off the hook if he did something wrong but they could have handled it the day after the race.

I would recommend throwing this article in some sort of translator. This is freaking gold.

I would recommend throwing this article in some sort of translator. This is freaking gold.
Somebody call Netflix.

Reactions: Monte Serra
I wonder about the motives of the girls. If they were drunk, if they knew who he was etc etc.

kids being kids, maybe it just highlights the quality of hotels Ive stayed in sometimes :) but its something Ive experienced for sure, getting drunk helps block it out, maybe not such ideal prep for bike race, but so do earplugs (a tip I picked up from an air stewardess friend of mine who also gets to stay in some really weird hotels where the guests can get noisy and reception aint interested)

kids being kids, maybe it just highlights the quality of hotels Ive stayed in sometimes :) but its something Ive experienced for sure, getting drunk helps block it out, maybe not such ideal prep for bike race, but so do earplugs (a tip I picked up from an air stewardess friend of mine who also gets to stay in some really weird hotels where the guests can get noisy and reception aint interested)
The earplugs thing I agree. One gotta be crazy entitled to never have needed to wear earplugs in a hotel :O

Also I didn't drink at that age, but I did stalking. The libido of a teenage gal ain't no joke. Hence my perspectives.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt and awavey
Imagine you're a teenage gals with a libido and there's a seriously hot and famous guy at the hotel. Your brain ain't developed, your hormones are raging.

You're too old to be kept by parents and too young to know what you're doing. And out comes this guy with a rage fit. I'd be traumatized for sure.

They should know what they're doing, he should know what he's doing, the team management should have booked a better hotel etc etc etc, but the world aint built up by people that knows what they're doing. And I'd probably mess up myself if I was either of them. Most people probably would.

TRENDING THREADS