• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 155 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
"Western Europe" *** my ass. They would and they did.

Nope, it would happen exactly the way I said. Police asks for your ID and if you cooperate you can go and maybe you will be invited for a chat later on. Never in a million years they will take you to the police station right away. That is only the case if they think you will cause more trouble when they leave.

But it's not the usual situation, the guy have the most important race of the year tomorrow morning. Dutch ambassador should've been on the phone immediately, hell even Prime Minister should.
There aren't many comments even in this thread that leave me open-mouthed in disbelief that anyone could write such a thing, but...

He pled guilty to the assault, likely so he was able to leave the country (not sure this has been confirmed, BBC should be reliable):

Dutch media say nothing about a plea deal, his lawyer spoke of an appeal, which AFAIK you can'tdo if you pleaded guilty.

There aren't many comments even in this thread that leave me open-mouthed in disbelief that anyone could write such a thing, but...
No ***!
Mathieu Van Der Poel is ambassador of Dutch cycling, of Dutch sport. His federation should've reacted immediately, as soon as it was become clear this was not so big deal, to protect him and allow him to race properly. And if that requires interference of ambassador or even someone else, I can't see why not.

• Wow
Reactions: noob
For 'assure', read 'make a guess largely predicated upon prejudice'

I am Australian - So unlike you, I have a fair idea of how the justice system works in the country - There was the AFL Grand Final on Saturday in Melbourne, Australia - Had a similar incident happened to an AFL player on the Friday night, the police would not have dragged the player off to a police station - The interview would have happened at a later stage.

He pled guilty to the assault, likely so he was able to leave the country (not sure this has been confirmed, BBC should be reliable):

BBC is not a credible website. Here's the Reuters article from which MvdP's lawyer's quotes were copy-pasted by this british website - https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...ding-guilty-assault-teenage-girls-2022-09-26/

"Mathieu agreed with some of those allegations. On discussing it was agreed he should plead guilty. In Australia, if you plead guilty you can walk away with no conviction... but it was not the case here."

Bowe confirmed he would be appealing the conviction for two counts of assault. Van der Poel has also been allowed to leave the country after he was handed back his passport.

It seems the british website you linked to deliberately cut the quote from MvdP's lawyer short.

I would guess it's a weird case where someone from another country can plead guilty to crimes that don't involve jail time so they get their passport back and can leave but are allowed to appeal.

Seemed odd to me too, but in UK "You can appeal against your conviction, sentence or both. It does not matter if you pleaded guilty or not guilty" (from gov.uk)
I'm not sure that UK courts would be co-operative enough to reschedule the case so that you don't miss your flight though.

no the bbc is not reliable they are still rehashing the same as the Australian press, aka the interview given on sunday before the race without the clarification he didn't hit anyone.

Reactions: Sandisfan
BBC is not a credible website. Here's the Reuters article from which MvdP's lawyer's quotes were copy-pasted by this british website - https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...ding-guilty-assault-teenage-girls-2022-09-26/

It seems the british website you linked to deliberately cut the quote from MvdP's lawyer short.
I’m unsure what’s not credible here. His lawyer says he is appealing the conviction, pleading guilty leads to a conviction that he then appeals..?

In what way did the BBC report abridging the lawyer's statement make the resulting report lack credibility?

nos.nl has a report with other words ascribed to the lawyer. So if the Reuters report omits those, is Reuters also not credible?

Or might it be that website editors, you know, edit?

Reactions: noob
And would the law in your territory permit you to leave your property and physically assault minors for disturbing your rest in your property?

Okay, I just find the term "assault" for what I imagined happened too much. Maybe it's my bad English, maybe it's my different moral stance. An assault to me is not grabbing someone's arm and a slight push after being harrassed by 13/14 year olds, which, by the way, are not children to me, but teenagers. Minors, yes, but not children. (And van der Poel is a grown-up, but not a body-builder by the way.)

Okay, I just find the term "assault" for what I imagined happened too much. Maybe it's my bad English, maybe it's my different moral stance. An assault to me is not grabbing someone's arm and a slight push after being harrassed by 13/14 year olds, which, by the way, are not children to me, but teenagers. Minors, yes, but not children. (And van der Poel is a grown-up, but not a body-builder by the way.)

"
Definition of assault
In the ACT, a person can be assaulted through the intentional or reckless actions of another that cause fear of the apprehension of force without consent. Assault charges can be made out in two ways – by applying force to a person without consent or by threatening to do so. There does not need to be any physical injury to the victim for an assault to have occurred, nor does the force applied have to be significant. An assault may consist of a punch, a slap, or a push, among other forms of contact.
Common assault
Common assault is an offence under section 26 of the Crimes Act. Common assault usually occurs when a person is hit, pushed, shoved or threatened during an argument, but does not sustain injury. The Magistrates Court may sentence a person to up to two years imprisonment for a common assault.
"

Reactions: shalgo

I think your English is fine.

TRENDING THREADS