• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 156 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No he didn't. He said in an interview on sunday it was true he went outside his room and after them. However he did clarify he never touched them. They are however constistently rehashing the interview on sunday, the first part, as the "pleaded guilty" part of the press messages. This however is not the correct story.
Do you have a source that he pleaded 'not guilty' in court?
Several sources (many probably based on Reuters, as cited above, but also news.com.au for example) refer specifically to pleading guilty as part of the account of the court proceedings, and his lawyer is quoted as saying, "it was agreed he should plead guilty".

Okay, I just find the term "assault" for what I imagined happened too much. Maybe it's my bad English, maybe it's my different moral stance. An assault to me is not grabbing someone's arm and a slight push after being harrassed by 13/14 year olds, which, by the way, are not children to me, but teenagers. Minors, yes, but not children. (And van der Poel is a grown-up, but not a body-builder by the way.)
In English law, the fact of a bruise is sufficient to make it not 'merely' assault, but a more serious charge of assault causing actual bodily harm. So while in colloqual language it could indeed look like an exaggeration to call this assault, technically (in England) it was an understatement.

Sporza says he will appeal. How can he appeal if he pled guilty, lol.
exactly my point

Also hate the fact that a lot of people see VDP as the bad man in this. Yes he should not have gone after them. But for crying out loud the fact 14 year olds, not little kids, are out on the hotel room knocking on door with the parents being nowhere? That's a bad look on parenting and those kids... wtf. I'd be fuming as well

exactly my point

Also hate the fact that a lot of people see VDP as the bad man in this. Yes he should not have gone after them. But for crying out loud the fact 14 year olds, not little kids, are out on the hotel room knocking on door with the parents being nowhere? That's a bad look on parenting and those kids... wtf. I'd be fuming as well
He's literally the only man (as in adult) in this situation, how else are we supposed to see him.

Reactions: noob
Ah, so now you're fine with people commiting battery against children and not being taken in for questioning?
Sorry i can't take anything you say in the matter seriously anymore. I have repeatedly said that it should be up to the policemen at the scene to use common sense. And if this were a case of him tapping their shoulder after being harassed for an hour and a half, then i think it should be fair that the authorities present, would indeed try to moderate between both parties. You can try and make this look like he abducted and raped two children for all i care, all i said is that i think the cops should be able to use their brains, even though going strictly by law, this were battery or assault. Those terms might not at all cover what happened, as simply touching someone with your finger could be labelled as assault as well.

I have also said that it is possible that the police actually did assess the situation and that it might in fact be worse than Van der Poel has it seem. In which case, as per my opening post regarding the matter, he made his own bed.

Sorry i can't take anything you say in the matter seriously anymore. I have repeatedly said that it should be up to the policemen at the scene to use common sense. And if this were a case of him tapping their shoulder after being harassed for an hour and a half, then i think it should be fair that the authorities present, would indeed try to moderate between both parties. You can try and make this look like he abducted and raped two children for all i care, all i said is that i think the cops should be able to use their brains, even though going strictly by law, this were battery or assault. Those terms might not at all cover what happened, as simply touching someone with your finger could be labelled as assault as well.

I have also said that it is possible that the police actually did assess the situation and that it might in fact be worse than Van der Poel has it seem. In which case, as per my opening post regarding the matter, he made his own bed.
This just reads like apologism and whataboutery. There isn’t a question here, he was questioned about, and pled guilty to it seems, assault. The police did exactly what they should have done.

so as credible as 0. Still only rehashes and not actual confirmation of the court hearing.

Also see 0 Dutch sources saying he pleaded guilty so I have high suspicion of any message until I hear the literal confirmation of that from either his lawyer or Van der Poel/Roodhooft themselves

• Wow
Reactions: noob

TRENDING THREADS