• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 157 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How do you know that? There was no other solution than taking him into the police office then and there and keeping him for several hours into the night? It was completely impossible and out of the question to take a short statement and then make him come in the day after?
He was accused of assaulting children. This is literally basic policing. Make him explain himself before he has chance to sort out any story.

nowhere it says he pleaded guilty and admitted to pushing the girls.
I am reliant on Google translate, which renders
Hoewel hij zondag nog verklaarde dat hij de meisjes niet had vastgepakt, vertelde hij maandag tijdens de zitting dat hij een meisje tegen de grond had geduwd en de ander tegen de muur. De laatste liep daarbij een schaafwond op.
as
Although he stated on Sunday that he had not grabbed the girls, he said during the hearing on Monday that he had pushed one girl to the floor and the other against the wall. The latter sustained an abrasion.
Is it very different?

I have answered your challenge: will you respond to mine? Have you seen any source claiming that he pleaded not guilty?

Reactions: noob
He was accused of assaulting children. This is literally basic policing. Make him explain himself before he has chance to sort out any story.
Sort out any story......

At worst case we're talking about some shoving here, not aggravated assuault and serious body harm. Unless you are an Australian police officer or lawyer who are absolutely sure how they practice things there, there is no way I'm buying that requires an immediate visit for several hours to a police station.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He has actually said in a hearing that he pushed one girl against the wall and the other on the floor. That's his own words in the hearing.

He's most likely trying to appeal to his circumstances, which is another thing.
Guys this is gonna take me a while to spin.

Why would Fred Wright do such a thing?
Nah if this is true MvdP is just a massive *** idiot at best.

It is common in Australia that if you plead guilty to a minor offence then no conviction is recorded - MVP may have been advised to plead guilty ( you factor in saving court time, no appearance for the minors, and of course MVP does not wish to be caught in OZ for longer than necessary ) for these reasons.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Sort out any story......

At worst case we're talking about some shoving here, not aggravated assuault and serious body harm. Unless you are an Australian police officer or lawyer who are absolutely sure how they practice things there, there is no way I'm buying that requires an immediate visit for several hours to a police station.
Oh yeah, we need a Professor of Law from Monash to tell us that assaulting two children is going to get you taken to a police station.

Sort out any story......

So is it your position that they held him for longer than necessary because they have a deep-seated hatred of either cyclists or Dutch people? Or that they fancied a bit of overtime? Or were bored and lonely in an otherwise quiet police staion (because Saturday nights are notoriously calm and quiet for police forces)? Or that they were deliberately spoiling MvdP's chances in the race.

If you think they acted against normal procedures, what reason do you think they had for that?

It is common in Australia that if you plead guilty to a minor offence then no conviction is recorded - MVP may have been advised to plead guilty ( you factor in saving court time, no appearance for the minors, and of course MVP does not wish to be caught in OZ for longer than necessary ) for these reasons.
I think the lawyer has made it clear that this was their hope in pleading guilty, but it didn't work out for them.

So is it your position that they held him for longer than necessary because they have a deep-seated hatred of either cyclists or Dutch people? Or that they fancied a bit of overtime? Or were bored and lonely in an otherwise quiet police staion (because Saturday nights are notoriously calm and quiet for police forces)? Or that they were deliberately spoiling MvdP's chances in the race.
Overeager in their job possibly. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't an absolute necessity to drag VdP in for several hours for a minor incident like that. Nor do I think that every police officer would things exactly the same as the ones we're talking about here. Law is all about discretion, that's why lawyers all around the world make a shitload of money. There isn't only one absolute way to do it. I would be extremely suprised if they couldn't have made a judgement like that in this case. Take a short statement then and there, and then make him come to the police station the next day. I strongly doubt he would have gone around the whole night assaulting people, fled the country or conspired with others to make a false statement if that happened.

Sort out any story......

There may be a bigger scheme of things when nation decides to take a certain stance, when foreign people rage towards it's own citizens. They are sending a message that way over the border.

This is not at all a problem from law enforcement side of things. It's most of all result of stupid team travel management. Wrong town, wrong hotel management, wrong privileges (no athlete needs gf/bf on her side in any case of a-races) aso. A clever person and team solving problems that wise ones avoid in this very case.

I admire him greatly as a one day road racer and cx racer, but he needs some babysitting still.

Reactions: IndianCyclist
exactly my point

Also hate the fact that a lot of people see VDP as the bad man in this. Yes he should not have gone after them. But for crying out loud the fact 14 year olds, not little kids, are out on the hotel room knocking on door with the parents being nowhere? That's a bad look on parenting and those kids... wtf. I'd be fuming as well
There seems fault on both sides. I absolutely agree 14 year olds should not be knocking on doors and, since they are minors (under 18), their parents should be at the minimum questioned by police or even fined.

But nothing excuses VDP for effectively taking the law into his own hands. He or the Dutch management should have reported the incident to the hotel staff and demanded police be called.

But I do sympathize with VDP, you need rest before a massive event and your rest is interrupted by young idiots. I can understand why he lost his temper, but that still doesn't make it right. Pushing them or grabbing their arms is assault under Australian law. That means it would likely be assault under British laws too. Easily avoidable - don't touch them and walk to hotel staff to demand action be taken.

Given he paid 20k for his flight, pleading whatever was necessary so he could leave on his planned fight and didn't have to rebook was always in his best interest.

Paying 1,5k fine was probably cheaper than new tickets

Overeager in their job possibly. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't an absolute necessity to drag VdP in for several hours for a minor incident like that. Nor do I think that every police officer would things exactly the same as the ones we're talking about here. Law is all about discretion, that's why lawyers all around the world make a shitload of money. There isn't only one absolute way to do it. I would be extremely suprised if they couldn't have made a judgement like that in this case. Take a short statement then and there, and then make him come to the police station the next day. I strongly doubt he would have gone around the whole night assaulting people, fled the country or conspired with others to make a false statement if that happened.
One of the other options that the police probably thought about is, what will the parents do next if I don't go by the book with this International sports star - I'm sure the individual police officers wouldn't want there names in the local gossip rags for giving favourable treatment to celebrities and I'm certain their superiors wouldn't want that.

TRENDING THREADS