• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The girls knocked on the cyclist’s door, room 930, multiple times at 10.40pm and ran back into their room, which “frustrated” van der Poel as he had the race the following morning.
“He waited for the victims to knock on his door and chased them into their hotel room, following close behind them,” court documents state. Van der Poel chased the girls, causing one of them to run into a corner and crouch down while covering her face. The cyclist ran up to her and grabbed her by both arms, squeezing them and pushing her against a wall while yelling at her, causing her to suffer a minor carpet burn graze to her right elbow and redness to her left forearm. van der Poel noticed the second girl trying to leave the room and pushed her against a wall using both hands.

“The girl fell to the ground and the accused left the room and went to his hotel room,” court documents said. Police were called to the hotel where the 27-year-old made admissions to following the girls into their hotel room and yelling at them. He was arrested and taken to Kogarah Police Station where he was formally charged. Van der Poel told police he was “quite frustrated” the girls continued to make noise and knock on the door despite his girlfriend asking them to stop. The cyclist said he was frustrated by the situation but admitted his actions were wrong at the time.

If this is what actually happened then he actually got off easy, imho. However, i've been wondering if he could actually countersue or sue the hotel. The fact that he ended up in a cell is his own doing, but the fact that he was not able to go to sleep as he should have, would have had an averse effect on his bid for WC. He needed to go to sleep around 9pm. He was kept up for two hours. His girlfriend had tried to reason with the girls. Looks to me he might have a case if he wanted to sue either the parents or the hotel for damages.

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
If this is what actually happened then he actually got off easy, imho. However, i've been wondering if he could actually countersue or sue the hotel. The fact that he ended up in a cell is his own doing, but the fact that he was not able to go to sleep as he should have, would have had an averse effect on his bid for WC. He needed to go to sleep around 9pm. He was kept up for two hours. His girlfriend had tried to reason with the girls. Looks to me he might have a case if he wanted to sue either the parents or the hotel for damages.
It’s a criminal case made against MVP, there no counter-suing. Not sure what a civil case would look like but, in Australia, it would probably be a Hail Mary.

Apparently videos are starting to appear. AD.nl has them, but behind paywall.

Sure some of you can avoid that wall.

• Wow
Reactions: noob
The Australian Daily Telegraph is obviously no equivalent to its UK namesake in terms of readership and journalistic style (or even ability to form sentences:"NSW Police took his passport and issued him a notice to face Sutherland Local Court on Tuesday, but sensationally pleaded guilty on Monday before Magistrate Hugh Donnelly": I'm sure NSW Police did not plead guilty in court).

However, unless this is total fabrication and they have no concern for libel accusations, it must be assumed that this is indeed a reflection of the court records. In which case van der Poel seems to have got a surprisingly light fine (Do the Aus courts not have a tariff system related to offender's income?) and I would have thought that he would be well advised to drop any thought of an appeal lest the sentence be increased.

Apparently videos are starting to appear. AD.nl has them, but behind paywall.

Sure some of you can avoid that wall.
The article doesn’t include the videos in order to protect their privacy. It’s a reconstruction of what happened, and it is starting to look bad.

First let me start by saying that I don't know fully what happened yet and I also think he shouldn't have acted himself, but let's all be real. This seemed to be the kind of kids that everyone wants to give a slap don't we? We know it's not correct so it almost never happens, but I won't deny I always hope that kids that show a lack of respect and constantly taunt people get their asses spanked at some point.

Actually I have a cousin of 13 years old and he always has a big mouth against pretty much everyone and I always tell him that there will be a day that someone will give him a huge beating and sometimes I hope he gets it sooner than later.

Still v.d. Poel shouldn't have done this!

The girls knocked on the cyclist’s door, room 930, multiple times at 10.40pm and ran back into their room, which “frustrated” van der Poel as he had the race the following morning.
“He waited for the victims to knock on his door and chased them into their hotel room, following close behind them,” court documents state. Van der Poel chased the girls, causing one of them to run into a corner and crouch down while covering her face. The cyclist ran up to her and grabbed her by both arms, squeezing them and pushing her against a wall while yelling at her, causing her to suffer a minor carpet burn graze to her right elbow and redness to her left forearm. van der Poel noticed the second girl trying to leave the room and pushed her against a wall using both hands.

“The girl fell to the ground and the accused left the room and went to his hotel room,” court documents said. Police were called to the hotel where the 27-year-old made admissions to following the girls into their hotel room and yelling at them. He was arrested and taken to Kogarah Police Station where he was formally charged. Van der Poel told police he was “quite frustrated” the girls continued to make noise and knock on the door despite his girlfriend asking them to stop. The cyclist said he was frustrated by the situation but admitted his actions were wrong at the time.

That excerpt makes Van der Poel sound like Jason Voorhees. He should have worn a hockey mask for extra fear factor.

Honestly though, the whole episode was total amateur hour from everyone involved. There's just no way the star rider of the Dutch team should be alone with his girlfriend in a hotel room on a floor with random civilians running around the night before one of his biggest races of the season.

Ridiculous stuff.

Someone please tell me I've clicked the wrong link and found an alternate "$$$$posting Cycling News" because the idea that a man who... checks notes...doesn't inform the hotel there is a problem, lies in wait, runs out of his room, chases two children down a hall and assaults them, has any grounds for sueing the hotel is possibly, and I say possibly because this thread has a lot of contenders, possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read here yet.

Edit: and does it in his underwear.

Last edited:
Someone please tell me I've clicked the wrong link and found an alternate "$$$$posting Cycling News" because the idea that a man who... checks notes...doesn't inform the hotel there is a problem, lies in wait, runs out of his room, chases two children down a hall and assaults them, has any grounds for sueing the hotel is possibly, and I say possibly because this thread has a lot of contenders, possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read here yet.

I dunno, see the Greta thing a couple posts above yours

• Love
Jun 18, 2021
Visit site

They’re just jealous that he wasn’t breaking into their hotel room in his underwear!

That excerpt makes Van der Poel sound like Jason Voorhees. He should have worn a hockey mask for extra fear factor.

Honestly though, the whole episode was total amateur hour from everyone involved. There's just no way the star rider of the Dutch team should be alone with his girlfriend in a hotel room on a floor with random civilians running around the night before one of his biggest races of the season.

Ridiculous stuff.

It’s mad innit. Apparently Belgium block booked an entire hotel and you can be sure the British had all their margins covered.

TRENDING THREADS