• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 207 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's really weird. He just won two of the first three monuments of the season and finished the other one in 2nd, yet it really didn't feel like he was any stronger than in previous years. He got dropped in his natural playground, the ronde, for the first time since 2019, he won Roubaix but got insanely lucky with a van Aert puncture and the only race where he really shone was in MSR. And while that was one hell of a win, it was 100% made possible by Pogacar playing leadout man for him. I really don't know how to feel about his classics season. It's a bit like Boonen in 2012 where the results had never been better but it didn't actually feel like we were watching him at his very best.

I guess that's cycling for you and he will gladly take it. But especially compared to van Aert he has really maxed out his classics potential recently.
Thats a weird take. Mvdp was in his best ever shape, even went on record yesterday saying what he did today, in Flanders and msr was something he couldn’t do before and his power output was bigger. He felt superb in all 3 monuments

Yeah, saying he wasn't at his best was probably the wrong way to put it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that his wins this year didn't really feel sustainable. I don't think he'll be my number one favorite for MSR next year and my takeaway from today is that van Aert is probably my favorite for PR 2024.
It's just that this isn't quite on the 2010 Cancellara level of classic seasons that it looks like on paper.
The field is in no way comparable to Cancellaras opposition anyway. Fastest roubaix, fastest rvv, fastest poggio. Mathieu would’ve humiliated Boonen and Cancellara. Van Aert and Pogi same.

Reactions: jmdirt
Is this now the best version of Mathieu that we have seen over the years? (Factoring in cyclocross, as well.)

He has been racing a bit smarter both in the cyclocross and road so far this season. Restraining himself a little bit more, picking his moments in the races and going all in for the big races.

It was only in PR where we saw a little bit of the "old" Mathieu, I think, but he still won.

His dad seemed to indicate that for Lombardy a course change would be required.

Ofcourse this is all forumtalk anyway because Mathieu himself said he is not thinking about winning all 5.

The routes from 2005-2010 he could have won but the routes they've taken last couple years it's impossible.

Gilbert and Bettini wouldn't have won on these recent routes either.

Reactions: jmdirt and Red Rick
This is a pretty silly line to keep spewing when all the others were just barely off the record.

HE BEAT THE RECORD (By one second and the others were just two seconds behind)
(World) records across many sports are often broken by tenths, hundredths or thousands of a second and it’s always an impressive feat, as it should be. Moreover, I haven’t seen this “spewing” you’re referring to other than the usual reaction/recognition of a record time. Nothing wrong with that unless you dislike the rider.

Finally, there are many (world) records that have stood for many years across several sports and many have come close or “just off” as you put it, but never quite broke it. I’m not saying this will apply in this case as Pog is an alien and is likely to break it. I’m just saying that there’s nothing wring with him recognizing a record and using it as an argument.

Last edited:
Well MVDP in the post race interview said he thought he may have had the "best legs of my career today"...so, from the horse's mouth.

Fair. But that’s not really what I was getting at. From a viewer’s point of view his performance at Amstel (and Strade?) we’re more memorable and impressive. Unfortunately, this win feels almost like it fell on him so it lessens in mythology.

Fair. But that’s not really what I was getting at. From a viewer’s point of view his performance at Amstel (and Strade?) we’re more memorable and impressive. Unfortunately, this win feels almost like it fell on him so it lessens in mythology.

Agree that Amstel and Strade were more iconic and dramatic. San Remo too even if we don't have great footage from his actual attack there.

But if any rider deserved that win yesterday, it was Mathieu. He literally attacked more from the leading group than all other rides combined. He spent way more energy on the front than Wout, who was mostly glued to MvdP's wheel while pretending he was waiting for Van Hooydonck. Wout's fans call it a "smart" strategy, but fortunately, the cyclings gods were less impressed and decided to reward bravery instead.

Reactions: jmdirt and jono
Agree that Amstel and Strade were more iconic and dramatic. San Remo too even if we don't have great footage from his actual attack there.

But if any rider deserved that win yesterday, it was Mathieu. He literally attacked more from the leading group than all other rides combined. He spent way more energy on the front than Wout, who was mostly glued to MvdP's wheel while pretending he was waiting for Van Hooydonck. Wout's fans call it a "smart" strategy, but fortunately, the cyclings gods were less impressed and decided to reward bravery instead.
Ah yes, good take

Who was it again that blew the race wide open 90km from the finish? Maybe your cycling gods are blind or they forgot to reward bravery in 2020 and 2021 when Van der Poel was mostly glued to Van Aert's wheel in the classics campaign.

in 2020 and 2021 when Van der Poel was mostly glued to Van Aert's wheel in the classics campaign.
Ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha unbelievable biased.

In 2020 VDP was leading WVA onto the paterberg in Ronde van vlaanderen final and leading out the sprint

In 2021 strade it was VDP attacking twice hard to win the race whilst WVA floundered in the chase

In 2021 e3 it was VDP attacking hard on teigemberg to make the final split

In 2021 RVV it was VDP attacking multiple times with quickstep riders and forcing WVA to chase.

In 2021 Roubaix it was VDP again forcing the moves and Van aert in his wake.

Probably only gent wevelgem 2020 was the race where VDP was glue to WVA wheel a bit and neither won.

Also I agree with you Logic, that the guy you reply to is underselling WVA's bravery in this 2023 roubiax. It was WVA who attacked hard before the arenberg and forced VDP to chase

Ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha unbelievable biased.

Probably only gent wevelgem 2020 was the race where VDP was glue to WVA wheel a bit and neither won.

:tearsofjoy:

And that ladies and gentleman, is what they call historical revisionism. A tool often employed by people who feel unable to let go of their emotional agenda when it clashes with reality.

Coming from the guy who forgot how the race yesterday unfolded and called upon the cycling gods. lol indeed.

Well let's see the visual evidence.
Did you just use pictures of cycling races where one rider is in front of the other as proof? OMG lol.

You also seem to be mistaking being glued to someone's wheel with wheelsucking or exclusive to attacking. It would probably also be better to take races where both riders were actually peaking in full form. So while Strade '21 is a nice picture, it is about as relevant as me showing you a picture of Strade '20.