• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 208 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pigacar could easily win all 5 monument. Its scary. He has already RVV, LBL + GdL. Sanremo he just has to show up every year in good form and he will win it at some point. And we saw how strong he was in roubaix cobbles at le Tour last year, all he needs is bettiol in his team and he can win PR.

By contrast I don't see how VDP can win Liege or lombardia.

He was already 6th in 2020 after going solo in Benelux Tour the day before. He even said afterwards it was a mistake to not follow Mohoric in the descent. I still hope they will anounce him next week for Liege, wanna see what he can do in this form to get a good view if he can win (with Pogi and Remco). I'm optimistic for Liege.
The Sormano will always be a little to long against the climbers. It should all fall in to place for him to contest for the win.

Reactions: jmdirt
2014 meme route maybe? Or do we assume teams just drill like Madonne del Ghisallo already?

I don't really know what the 2000s routes were like, but the Villa Vergano finish certainly was too hard.

2004:

kMOaY0h.png

0vu7Ym3.png

2001-2003:

HZ61VM6.png

0BDI1w1.png

It's fairly in line with the difficulty of Liege, perhaps slightly easier but with Ghisallo as a more difficult climb to get rid of the puncheurs.

Van der Poel would have a shot in a different era IMO, but in this era I think he gets cleaned hard on a route like that. Perhaps Battaglia itself is already too hard for him anyway. Suits Van Aert better I think.

He was already 6th in 2020 after going solo in Benelux Tour the day before. He even said afterwards it was a mistake to not follow Mohoric in the descent. I still hope they will anounce him next week for Liege, wanna see what he can do in this form to get a good view if he can win (with Pogi and Remco). I'm optimistic for Liege.
The Sormano will always be a little to long against the climbers. It should all fall in to place for him to contest for the win.

Exactly, in 2020 Van der Poel showed that he can win Liège although in hindsight it could have been a missed opportunity because I don't think he can hold on to Pogačar and Remco nowadays, if they are close to their best

As for Lombardia, I think its clearly more difficult even without Sormano, the Civiglio is still a hard 14-15 minute climb where he will lose simply too much time to Pogačar, Remco or even other climbers.

Still, I think a lot of what will happen until the end of Van der Poel's career will depend on what he prioritises. He can chase more wins at RVV and Roubaix which will likely bring him to a Bonnen/Cancellara level in those races , he can chase the 5 monuments which is in my opinion a more risky path as the probably of 'failure' is higher (but the reward is also higher) or he can also likes Axel pointed out, focus in winning Worlds or Olympic titles in several disciplines of cycling which could also include gravel besides the three mentioned.

And the profiles when Gilbert won?
I always thought they switched the start with the finish every year and 1 of the 2 was less hard? Or is this already outdated?
In this century:

Bergamo finish: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2014, 2016, 2021
Como finish: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2022
Lecco finish: 2011, 2012, 2013

There's multiple easily available sources for newer routes, just google it.

09-lombardia-alt.jpg

2010: https://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/GiroLombardia/2010/it/download/GDL_2010_alt.pdf

La Flamme Rouge has them (once in a while there's a little mistake with some of the routes though): https://www.la-flamme-rouge.eu/maps/races/view/2010/8

Last edited:
Probaby Vetriolo in last year's Giro?

Don't remember the exact pace but in memory he was strong in that climb (although the combo with Monterovere proved to be too hard). Still, no match for the climbers pace.
i think he blew up in the Giro at some point, he did some very strong climb and then exploded in the final kilometers of the same climb.
Important note: he was not in top form that Giro. He was good but not great, even admitted that himself.

I do not believe or think VDP will ever climb like WvA or anything remotely close. But I think he's better than we've currently seen from him.

Reactions: Didinho
This talk about MDVP shedding a few kilos just to have a shot at LBL or IL...nonsense.
Let him stick to what he's good, excellent, outstanding at. Win a few more monuments, WC s and that will make up an already memorable career into a legendary one.
What's the use of chasing down two monuments that don't have your profile? He will probable loose what makes him good in the process.

This talk about MDVP shedding a few kilos just to have a shot at LBL or IL...nonsense.
Let him stick to what he's good, excellent, outstanding at. Win a few more monuments, WC s and that will make up an already memorable career into a legendary one.
What's the use of chasing down two monuments that don't have your profile? He will probable loose what makes him good in the process.
He also said about winning 5 monuments that's what the media likes someone to do, not him. So I even think he won't ride Lombardia a lot, maybe even never again. He knows these clims are too long/hard.

If you peak for De Ronde you're not gonna carry a lot of unnecessary weight.
I remember last year or the year before there was an article about him having 5% fat or below. The only weight he could be losing is muscle. He can do that if he wants, but that means CX and cobbled classics go out the window. But it would give him a shot at Liège. He could try that maybe in a few years. I don't think he has a realistic shot at Lombardia unless they change the route. But Liège could happen, as long as Pogacar, Evenepoel etc, don't or can't compete there.

Pigacar could easily win all 5 monument. Its scary. He has already RVV, LBL + GdL. Sanremo he just has to show up every year in good form and he will win it at some point. And we saw how strong he was in roubaix cobbles at le Tour last year, all he needs is bettiol in his team and he can win PR.

I'd give him as much chance at Liège as Pogacar has at Roubaix. Wouldn't put money on either happening but I also wouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
It's been a while since Van der Poel in a really good shape did a race like LBL against the best in the world. He basically hasn't since that very LBL. And he's better now.

Stage 1 in this Tour should give a great idea of what he could do in Liege.

tour-de-france-2023-stage-1-profile-31d1c35701.jpg

tour-de-france-2023-stage-1-climb-n5-d3e4c61987.jpg

Honestly though, the Tour route isn't great for Van der Poel.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS