• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 212 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The quiet around MVDP has been very nice. No telling what he'll pull off on the road this summer with a focused/smooth run up. Hope it continues. Of course it does suck not seeing him on the MTB, but there has to be trade-offs...

The Dutch MTB manager will be hoping he does all the post Tour/Worlds MTB World Cup races - otherwise they have real problems. Currently in 26th position.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The Dutch MTB manager will be hoping he does all the post Tour/Worlds MTB World Cup races - otherwise they have real problems. Currently in 26th position.
Definitely. He could also do the MTB WC a week after the road WC to pick up some points. The tricky part is he'll want to come into the TDF hot given the only stages that really matter much for his ilk are the first couple and then he has to hold peak through the road WC's which mean a lot more than a stage win at the TDF. No reason for him to hang around the TDF unless it can fit into being 100% ready for the WC's. Guessing he's going to be obligated to hang around though, sleeping in shitty hotels, etc. He ought to win his stage and get out.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wasn't there an extra ticket for the best nation on the WC who doesn't have a ticket yet? So if Mathieu and/or Vader rides well there they got one already.

The two highest-ranked NOCs at the 2023 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships in both the elite and under 23 races, which have not qualified a quota place through the UCI Mountain Bike Olympic Qualification ranking or the 2023 Continental Championships, will qualify a maximum of one place per NOC, with NOCs which have qualified through the elite race not eligible to qualify through the under 23 race.
If I understand this correctly, they will only get a quota if they do not get a single quota during the Olympic qualification

Reactions: Didinho
There's an interview in Het Belang van Limburg today. About the reasons not to do Tour de Suisse he says (gt) “I just like those races more than a Tour of Switzerland with two time trials and a lot of climbing. I prefer to race for the victory in the Tour of Belgium than to be in the gruppetto in Switzerland. I had also been away from home for a while, so it is good to race in Belgium again. I will be away from home enough for the second part of the summer with the Tour and the World Championships in Glasgow.”

There's also a part about the MTB World Championships: Six days after the World Championship road race, he combines both disciplines in one week with a clear goal: to get hold of a ticket for the Games in Paris. Only the top 19 countries in the UCI mountain bike ranking are certain of at least one spot at the Games. The Netherlands is currently only 28th. “We're taking a gamble. I will not have been able to train on my mountain bike once, but we will see what is possible without pressure. I'll be there anyway and maybe something nice will happen. My form will definitely be good. It won't be easy to get to the Olympics, so we're going to give it a shot in Glasgow.”

As his goal for the Tour de France he states a stage win and wearing yellow, before adding "Daarnaast wil ik zo vlot mogelijk Parijs proberen halen omdat het WK in Glasgow er daarna al snel aankomt." Can someone who speaks Dutch help translating this? Does it mean he wants to go for (his best possible) GC?

Last edited:
As his goal for the Tour de France he states a stage win and wearing yellow, before adding "Daarnaast wil ik zo vlot mogelijk Parijs proberen halen omdat het WK in Glasgow er daarna al snel aankomt." Can someone who speaks Dutch help translating this? Does it mean he wants to go for (his best possible) GC?

I assume it means he will try to reach Paris as easily as possible (so definitely not GC).

TRENDING THREADS