• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 282 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The problem could be if Hirschi, Almeida or even Ulissi are feeling frisky and go with attacks. Then Pogacar just has to sit and wait for Mvdp to cover. This is assuming that Alpecin won't be able to cover with SKA and Hermans.
I don’t think they can. They are only there to ride for him, not for tactical play. At least that’s what I hope. Just ride like SOQ did last year

Liege is among the least tactical monuments.

If we think they should race to MvdPs strength here, I'd say go hard in the easier, tailwind section in the first hours to put fatigue in everyone's legs.
I wonder if they should "tactically" drop every time UAE starts pacing hard and then chase hard on the decent and flat and hope for everything to come back together and repeat this till La Redoute. Probably doesn't work like that, but if it would, he could save his legs a bit.

I have otherwise very little hope of a win for Mvdp. He is just to heavy to do these efforts all day with most of the peloton like 15 kg lighter.

Either way mvdp has to gamble at some point. I'm guessing it will be all or nothing for him, in that sense I'm guessing he will only mark Pogi.

Hopefully today he doesn’t suffer from the weather conditions and we see a full on fighting Mathieu. Trying to hang on, finding his limits here. Maybe pacing himself and coming back in descent/flat.
Hope he can give us a good race where he gave his all and with a good result. I’m secretly hoping he can do it.

I have been wondering if this is also to test himself for the upcoming and hillier worlds. That must still be a big goal for him even if the parcours doesn't suit him.
Worlds aren't Liege difficulty, but it's still a decent test.

I find the Worlds very hard to estimate, but this is probably the most typical route we've had since the COVID break and the new cycling era started. In the old days this would likely be a Bergen like boring reduced sprint but I can't see that happening now.

Reactions: jmdirt
I'm undecided on what I saw today.

The race did NOT go into his favor at all. And still finished 3rd. He was clearly not even in the top 20 climbers but also never lost much time, except to Pogi. And kept returning to win that sprint.

I think if he truly makes this a goal, skips cross, roubaix and flanders, and Pogi/Evenepoel don't participate, he actually stands a chance. But when Pogi/Evenepoel are there, sorry no.. they are just too good on that kind of course

The race did NOT go into his favor at all. And still finished 3rd. He was clearly not even in the top 20 climbers but also never lost much time, except to Pogi. And kept returning to win that sprint.

I think if he truly makes this a goal, skips cross, roubaix and flanders, and Pogi/Evenepoel don't participate, he actually stands a chance. But when Pogi/Evenepoel are there, sorry no.. they are just too good on that kind of course
I agree with this, he can definitely bring a group back on the flat and out sprint almost anyone. If in form and everything lines up, it’d be interesting seeing him try a long range attack.

When the stars align, maybe the planets too.

It's really not hard to decide. You go RvV/PR but you probably take GW and Amstel out of the schedule, then you don't do 50k solos in E3, RvV an d PR.

Pog and Evenepoel not riding isn't gonna happen because it's probably the first race they mark on their calendar.

And how much weight can he actually lose without losing power, if he really wants to try it with fresher legs and being skinnier. It will always be difficult with Pogi or Remco powering the longer/steeper parts. I just don’t want him to drop the cobbles classics solely for this and just skip Wevelgem and Amstel indeed.

Reactions: Spine Concept