• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The New Danish Generation

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A win will have to come soon. Four 2nd places and nothing outside the top ten, that win can't be far away.
She did finish 11th in the first stage of the HAT...

Yes, she got boxed in or used too much energy in trying to stay near the front during the finale of that stage. She has also said that she doesn't really like the fight for positions during bunch sprints anymore and therefore prefer races that are more selective.
In GW and other races, apart from Le Samyn, where she and the team got nearly everything right, it would probably have helped her to have a teammate to keep her in position for the sprint. But the have obviously also used a lot of energy in order to get her in into the leading group.

Her next race is RVV, which I think will be too hard for her. She probably won't be as well protected in it like in other races, when AvV is also riding it, so that won't improve her chances either. Right now she isn't on the startlist for Scheldeprijs which is a bit surprising, cause she would be in with a chance to win it.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
Yes, she got boxed in or used too much energy in trying to stay near the front during the finale of that stage. She has also said that she doesn't really like the fight for positions during bunch sprints anymore and therefore prefer races that are more selective.
In GW and other races, apart from Le Samyn, where she and the team got nearly everything right, it would probably have helped her to have a teammate to keep her in position for the sprint. But the have obviously also used a lot of energy in order to get her in into the leading group.

Her next race is RVV, which I think will be too hard for her. She probably won't be as well protected in it like in other races, when AvV is also riding it, so that won't improve her chances either. Right now she isn't on the startlist for Scheldeprijs which is a bit surprising, cause she would be in with a chance to win it.
It might do her a bit of good not being the team leader in RVV, having no pressure on her for the first time since nieuwsblat. But yeah, the course seems too hilly for her. On another note, I find it a bit unfair that a second in De panne gives her the same amount of points for the u23 as Gigante and Musovic got for finishing as best young rider in the 20s in Binda and Strade.

It might do her a bit of good not being the team leader in RVV, having no pressure on her for the first time since nieuwsblat. But yeah, the course seems too hilly for her. On another note, I find it a bit unfair that a second in De panne gives her the same amount of points for the u23 as Gigante and Musovic got for finishing as best young rider in the 20s in Binda and Strade.

Yes, the rules for U23 competition are a bit odd, but I guess the UCI want to give a winning chance to more riders and not just the sprinters, who already have the most opportunities to gain points. Lorena Wiebes only won it with four point more than Marta Cavalli in 2019, even though she won two races, podiumed an additional four and got seven WT wins in total.

She did finish 11th in the first stage of the HAT...

Ah yes! But thats minor detail! :D

Ronde may be more difficult, but like Do said, not having the pressure of team leader may play to her advantage being able to support Van Vleuten and being still in the leading group. I'd have said RVV was too hard for Rivera, but winning both Ronde and Trofeo Binda in the same year proved otherwise.

Ronde may be more difficult, but like Do said, not having the pressure of team leader may play to her advantage being able to support Van Vleuten and being still in the leading group. I'd have said RVV was too hard for Rivera, but winning both Ronde and Trofeo Binda in the same year proved otherwise.

Rivera was 24 in 2017 and had a bit more experience perhaps. But I agree that with Emma in the team, Movistar will have more tactical options. And she is clearly on stellar form, so she might be able to surprise me.

If she ends up winning as much as Johansson or Pooley during her career, it's wouldn't be too bad though.

I'm looking forward to see the Danish national team in the WCRR. I'm unsure though if the route favours a more defensive approach with everyone for Mads Pedersen, but with this cohort of riders I hope they'll be active there. Especially since the national cohesion seems to be quite good.

As I have understood the route, it is more of an "Ardennes type" thing, so I am unsure if Mads P will even get selected.

If our team size is 7, I'd say a likely team could be:

Fuglsang, Vingegaard, Honore, Kragh, Cort, Kron - and then either Asgreen or Valgren.

One could even argue, that Würtz, Skjelmose, Kamp and even Juul would be better for the route, placing Mads P as 13th in the selection order IMO.

An interesting question is, who amongst the selection is willing to sacrifice themselves for the captains - and who those captains are?

You would think that, but the only really great rider to come out of Vejle is Tony Rominger ;)
The area around Silkeborg seems to be a much better training ground, judged by the number of good pros coming from there.

Well, there is an efterskole in Vejle which is quite popular among aspiring cyclists. Magnus Cort is one example of a rider who went there.

7 World Tour wins by 6 different riders, and we are only in April.

What a start to the season! :cool:
Impressive. Definitely spread their world tour wins out as a nation whereas Slovenia, Ireland etc have been from one or two main riders. Mads Pedersen hasn't won a WT race this year yet, but podiumed a couple of times. Soren Kragh Andersen has got a few top tens, Mikkel Bjerg came 3rd in the uae time trial and even Morkov (not the new generation) has a two or three top tens from leading out Bennett.

The Ardennes are going to be interesting to follow for us Danes.

Vingegaard is in shape, Honore is in shape, Cort is in shape, Kron was in shape before he got a stomach flu, Fuglsang says he is in shape, Valgren looked good at Flanders (until he crashed).

Fingers crossed :eek:
Are we not forgetting some people?

lhR0ADN.jpg

TRENDING THREADS