• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official CBS 60 minutes thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
I missed the first 20 minutes but from what i saw they just made out Hamilton to be some Lance domestique who dedicated his career to riding for Lance at the Tour and mentioned his Olympic gold medal

Hello, the guy won LBL for christ sake. That means something.
Well, considering they had to spend the first 5 minutes explaining what a "peloton" is and what domestiques do, and that they opened with "Armstrong won the Tour de France - that's like the Super Bowl", I understand they had to dumb it down for the audience.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Michael Brown said:
What a great piece. This reveals how rotten the sport was(?). Lots to chew on, but the thing that struck me is the positive test during the Tour of Switzerland...seems like the UCI wanted to handle Contador's clen positive the same way they handled LA's positive at the TdS....except they couldn't keep AC's positive under wraps.

This is even bigger than LA. And as long as the UCI is in charge, nothing good can happen.

Just a sidenote about AC:
WADA said UCI's procedure was correct and that they were informed.
The handling of making it public immediately or not, is the issue to question.
One can understand this or not. Anyway it was unfair compared to others, like Fuyu Li or whoever, but somehow understandable because its Contador.
Better check this first. It should have been made public anyway later i guess.
No need for the German Gollum journalist. :rolleyes:

But of course in the end they are all corrupt.
It's just harder than in the old years or more expensive.

We'll see about that 2001 TdS. :D
All UCI, Labs, etc. documents there, but super duper confidential.
Should be no problem for US feds to check them, if they haven't done it yet.

It is likely that they took all the documents with them or some copies - but only if Werner Franke didn't steal them first.......you can then find them in a safe in Texas.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Is that really that clown's name? Can you go to his page and see what his deal is?

I had an account a couple of years ago but trashed it. I think it is stupid. I didn't anticipate Jim Gong, though.

oh and Chris, messing with people on this page is reason enough to reactivate your FB... The trolling opportunities are unlimited and there are zero mods ;)

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
the meeting in switzerland. very big.

one thing no one has mentioned yet is that apparently the lab was told to tell jb and the fraud how tests were administered -- important info that would give a rider and his blood doctor, and his team, a heads up on the competition.

this meeting being arranged by the uci and the fact that the uci had accepted the backdated tue of 1999 meant that the fraud and jb had as much dirt on the uci as the uci had on them. the uci could no longer afford to let the fraud be caught. he and usp could take the doping to far greater extremes than other teams without any worries.

this doesn't just confirm that the uci is corrupt, but -- instead -- what i have been saying for a long time, that the uci is not just corrupt, but a criminal organization.

Remember the machine that the UCI bought with $80,000 of one "donation"?I saw the press release from the company online once, and they said that Lance had even suggested the model they should buy. He obviously had some experience.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Well, considering they had to spend the first 5 minutes explaining what a "peloton" is and what domestiques do, and that they opened with "Armstrong won the Tour de France - that's like the Super Bowl", I understand they had to dumb it down for the audience.

Hitch is obviously overestimating the cycling aptitude of the average American. I have heard The Tour de France = the Super Bowl claim so many times it is ridiculous

May 18, 2009
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
oh and Chris, messing with people on this page is reason enough to reactivate your FB... The trolling opportunities are unlimited and there are zero mods ;)

Zero mods? That is no fun.

What's that old saying "it's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase." :D

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
On Tyler's fan page, if you "like" the page, you can interact. On a message with a threat, or using gay terms or whatever, you can report it to Facebook by clicking the "x" to the right. They take it seriously these days

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
python said:
clearly the 60 minutes did not play some softball...it was a very well put together piece with the single focus - assisted, wide-spread well-organized cheating by the sports biggest name.

I can see TH being a bit disappointed by that, as he maybe wanted to tell his story more than tell on others, or use him to finger one rider in particular, obvious as that angle was, rather than the sport in general.

It's nice to see how sobering a sworn testimony with teeth is though.

And that from our pov it can seem pathetic that that is needed to get to a certain degree of truthiness. From a more human angle I can see how a small lie can get so big so quickly, that there seems no other way to deal with it than keep marching forwards with it, right up until the point that your hand is forced. I certainly won't be throwing stones, but at the same time I don't think it shows anything in particular by opening up to 60 mins now. Last chance saloon had been and gone, he came forward at the time when it would cost him, and this option would cost him less.

Glad it is out in the open, I hope he now faces a world in which he can move forwards again on a path that has real worth to him. This obviously hasn't been it, and having dreamt so hard about it when he faced the choice, the point where he is now can only be seen as tragic. Hopefully that is a lesson for youngsters who are facing similar choices.

I am sure we will get more of his own story through other routes over the coming months.

It's also pretty obvious how impossible for most the choice is/was, between taking the only realistic option, or giving up on the sport you have given up all for. I suspect it has corrupted not just the naturally inclined to cheating, and we have those too, of course, but some pretty decent normal blokes as well.

Which is why, to me, the real culprits are those whose only job was to oversee the sport, who had full control over the exact playing area that riders had to operate in. People who didn't have to make the choice between doping or giving up, but made that the dilemma pretty every skilled rider had to face at some point. The folk who made US Postal the standard, or kept it as the standard, that others needed to beat.

I have seen Festina amongst others, and this is what came after. I am hoping that this time, the outcome will be different. I have learned to wait and see. Surely now is not a sentiment that I allow too close to my hopes and expectations.

I hope, for the sake of those youngsters mentioned earlier, that those responsible between them can come up with a real option b in our sport: don't do it, and we will make sure you can still win, and live the dream.

Surely....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Zero mods? That is no fun.

What's that old saying "it's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase." :D

ahh Touche, I guess the report button is kind of like a "Big Brother is watching you" type of moderation

Hard to know who your real enemy is though ;)

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
theswordsman said:
On Tyler's fan page, if you "like" the page, you can interact. On a message with a threat, or using gay terms or whatever, you can report it to Facebook by clicking the "x" to the right. They take it seriously these days

I found his own facebook page. I was going to send him a message but for some reason there's no options for that on his page :confused:

Anyone know the best way to contact him?

He's always been one of my favourite riders, I remember him riding the tour with a broken shoulder. Everyone said he'd drop out after the next stage, or when we got to the rest day/mountains. And he kept going. Impressive stuff to someone getting into the sport. I broke my own shoulder last year so I know now how painful it must've been.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Izzy eviel said:
I found his own facebook page. I was going to send him a message but for some reason there's no options for that on his page :confused:

He's always been one of my favourite riders, I remember him riding the tour with a broken shoulder. Everyone said he'd drop out after the next stage, or when we got to the rest day/mountains. And he kept going. Impressive stuff to someone getting into the sport. I broke my own shoulder last year so I know now how painful it must've been.

http://tylerhamiltontraining.com/contact_tht.php

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Also, with Tyler backing up Floyd on the 2001 TdS positive was covered up, you know its a matter of short (I hope) time that the UCI gets either restructured or removed completely by the new league. I still have doubts of how and who the new league is being formed by.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
nvpacchi - I'm guessing that's you that gave me the "classy post" comment? ;)

Looking forward to see this when it hits the web. Really interested in the 2001 TdS stuff, finally something a bit more solid to what Landis said.

The house of cards is rapidly falling.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Smera1 said:
Yeah. White lunch box. Can imagine they opening it and saying : - hummm...what do we have for starters ?...Ahhhh Testosterone, delicious !...And for the main course ?... EPO! Yummy...
:p

Awwwww mom !!!! EPO Again ???? :-(

LOL, there is an NBA blog that reported Bulls star Derrick Rose said that PEDs are a big problem in the league, a "seven on a scale of ten". This is what the blogger had to say in response:

So far, only middling types like Don MacLean, O.J. Mayo(notes), and Rashard Lewis(notes) have been suspended because of testing positive for this stuff. Others have been banished due to other chemical additives (be they recreational or otherwise), and if you want to get into some argument that allows for the idea that the NBA would knowingly gloss over some superstar who had tested positive so as not to keep him away from the national television cameras, then you're going to have to go to some message board for that.

Because it takes two to tango, and several to test and then react, and if that were actually the case with [name your All-Star], then some doctor or lab assistant would have a million-dollar exclusive on their hands. Unless you think the NBA, which regulates and labels headbands, would pay off a doctor or lab assistant. And then … wait, why am I even listening to you?

It was 60 minutes, i believe, that reported on the organized gambling connections of a referee that was suspended several years ago.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
I can see TH being a bit disappointed by that, as he maybe wanted to tell his story more than tell on others, or use him to finger one rider in particular, obvious as that angle was, rather than the sport in general.

It's nice to see how sobering a sworn testimony with teeth is though.

I am sure we will get more of his own story through other routes over the coming months.

It's also pretty obvious how impossible for most the choice is/was, between taking the only realistic option, or giving up on the sport you have given up all for. I suspect it has corrupted not just the naturally inclined to cheating, and we have those too, of course, but some pretty decent normal blokes as well.

Which is why, to me, the real culprits are those whose only job was to oversee the sport, who had full control over the exact playing area that riders had to operate in. People who didn't have to make the choice between doping or giving up, but made that the dilemma pretty every skilled rider had to face at some point. The folk who made US Postal the standard, or kept it as the standard, that others needed to beat.

I have seen Festina amongst others, and this is what came after. I am hoping that this time, the outcome will be different. I have learned to wait and see. Surely now is not a sentiment that I allow too close to my hopes and expectations.

But surely....

Wow,
Wait till I give my revelations on US six day racing in the 30s. A rider would do 200 miles a day six days. partnered 400 miles a day. X 6days X 18 six days a week. Amphetamines that could blow up concrete. Tyler, why'd you stick with the weak stuff.
Madisons invented madison square garden. Tour de France copied after American six days.
Where is the Tyler 60 minutes best seller? Oh yeah reinventing the doping angle. Where do I buy the book?

Izzy eviel said:

Is his coaching biz email listed on his site? I'm sure he pays attention to that.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Met de Versnelling said:
nvpacchi - I'm guessing that's you that gave me the "classy post" comment? ;)

Looking forward to see this when it hits the web. Really interested in the 2001 TdS stuff, finally something a bit more solid to what Landis said.

The house of cards is rapidly falling.

haha good call! It looks like the tide is turning in our favor now on TH's page.

A

Anonymous

python said:
the 2001 epo positive is the biggest story and there clearly is a paper trail involving wada, usada, the uci and the fed.

this story is going to have legs

Lance's lawyer says he wasn't the cyclist who had the positive that was covered up by the WADA and UCI. That was someone else, AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN GIVE THE UCI A $125,000 DONATION!!! :rolleyes: