• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He says he'll probably not ride the Tour de France, is not sure about the Olympics, is thinking about the Vuelta as the main goal of the second part of the season.

He's not sure about the Olympics because he doesn't want to put too much pressure on his back.

Would be great to see Bernal vs Pogacar vs Roglic there but the Slovenians may be spent (or past their peak) following the Tour and the Olympics.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's not sure about the Olympics because he doesn't want to put too much pressure on his back.

I wonder if we'll see a more conservative final week given that comment. He put the icing on the cake yesterday and if there is still some lingering concerns about his back then perhaps he switches focus to just maintaining his lead. Not like any of the rest are going to do him for 2'30 in a TT

Always thought their plan A for the Tour this year was Carapaz no matter what would happen with Bernal

Honestly I'm pretty sure Plan A is G with Carapaz as wildcard. G is having a good season, TT's well, climbs well at tempo which is what both Jumbo and Ineos are comfortable setting and has a good final KM punch that's very similar to Roglic. Meanwhile Carapaz can just be launched at random points to force work on the others and if he does get time they can back him

Always thought their plan A for the Tour this year was Carapaz no matter what would happen with Bernal
I thought their plan was Thomas and Carapaz, plus Geoghegan Hart. They may not have the outright strongest rider in the race against Roglic and Pogacar, but they will have a few cards to play. Interesting to see if they can play that tactical game. Anyway, Bernal was never meant to ride the Tour this year. Yates should be leader for the Vuelta.

Not sure about this. There are 2 TTs in this Tour, and no monster climbing stages. It looks more explosive course, Carapaz would want more big climbs above 2000m, I would think. Roglic won't let him go as in Giro 2019, so do others.

I think their A plan is Thomas. Porte and Geraint will follow wheels of Roglic and Pogacar (or at least try :D), Tao and Carapaz will be their attacking force to put pressure on Jumbo and UAE.

Not sure about this. There are 2 TTs in this Tour, and no monster climbing stages. It looks more explosive course, Carapaz would want more big climbs above 2000m, I would think. Roglic won't let him go as in Giro 2019, so do others.

I think their A plan is Thomas. Porte and Geraint will follow wheels of Roglic and Pogacar (or at least try :D), Tao and Carapaz will be their attacking force to put pressure on Jumbo and UAE.
Sure, I can see Roglic making deals with the devil. And by devil I mean his dearest friend. LOL. I'll tell you right now what is going to happen. As soon as Carapaz attacks Roglic will immediately turn his head to Pogi and tell him: "Go ahead it is your problem not mine". If JV chases down then Roglic does not deserve to win the Tour. Roglic already had a taste of Carapaz twice in his life. He could use him on his benefit, not Pogacar's.

• Wow
I don't know why exactly we are discussing Thomas' form in Egan's thread ;), but I think Geraint is way better this year again then 19 and first half 20, when maybe he wasn't training with that effort and devotion. If he's back to '18 form he can, with the help of his team, take it to Roglic at least, in my opinion. The strongest quality of Roglic is his steadyness, not his ridiculously high level.

Reactions: groogster
I don't know why exactly we are discussing Thomas' form in Egan's thread ;), but I think Geraint is way better this year again then 19 and first half 20, when maybe he wasn't training with that effort and devotion. If he's back to '18 form he can, with the help of his team, take it to Roglic at least, in my opinion. The strongest quality of Roglic is his steadyness, not his ridiculously high level.

I would be shocked if he is anywhere near Roglic; I ll go even further, I will be surprised if he is able to follow the JV train at all times