• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
That was a great effort, a VAM of almost 1600 for nearly 30min on a 6.6% steep climb, in a MTT half stage that came after a half stage that was raced hard from the start, impressive.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
That was a great effort, a VAM of almost 1600 for nearly 30min on a 6.6% steep climb, in a MTT half stage that came after a half stage that was raced hard from the start, impressive.

Can you try to compare his numbers to pros? I'm not an expert in W/kg stuff, etc.

I thought that the climb was more like 7%?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Samamba said:
Mayomaniac said:

Can you try to compare his numbers to pros? I'm not an expert in W/kg stuff, etc.

I thought that the climb was more like 7%?
-1497445812.png

11.9km at 6.56%.
I'm not and expert, but it's almost 6w/kg in a MTT that was a half stage after a medium mountain stage that was raced hard, with attacks from the get go, that's impressive.

Re:

Red Rick said:
What's up for Bernal after this by the way? I get the feeling he's outgrown the 2.2 races already and shoudl slowly move toward a few bigger fish.
Sibiu most likely, but Tour de l'Avenir is the only certainty, as that has been his big goal all season long. If he still has some form left - or energy for that matter - he could always target the Italian races come fall like Torino and Emilia.

But Lambrecht is one of the bigger talents of his generation and is supposed to be his competition. Just goes to show how far Bernal is ahead of his age. I think we can all agree that, as of right now, Bernal is the number one favorite for l'Avenir. Though I must say that the competition in terms of quantity hasn't been too great. That will be different come August. He'll have to battle a bunch of really good Australians, and of course the likes of Costa, although haven't seen or heard much from the latter this year.

DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
What's up for Bernal after this by the way? I get the feeling he's outgrown the 2.2 races already and shoudl slowly move toward a few bigger fish.
Sibiu most likely, but Tour de l'Avenir is the only certainty, as that has been his big goal all season long. If he still has some form left - or energy for that matter - he could always target the Italian races come fall like Torino and Emilia.

Tout heureux de ses trois victoires acquises en quatre jours, il va désormais partir en Roumanie, début juillet, pour y disputer le Tour de Sibiu. Avant de rentrer à la maison quelques semaines. "Si tout va bien, j'aimerais pouvoir repartir un mois en Colombie afin de me préparer au mieux pour le Tour de l'Avenir. J'avais terminé quatrième l'an dernier et j'espère faire encore mieux cette fois-ci. J'ai envie d'être en grande condition sur le Tour de l'Avenir puis sur toutes les compétitions qui suivront au mois de septembre. Et je terminerai ma saison sur le Tour de Lombardie où j'espère très bien finir ma saison".

He's basically confirming what you said. He'll ride Sibiu, go back to Colombia for at least a month to prepare ideally for Avenir and some races in September. He'll end his season in Lombardia.

Zinoviev Letter said:
yaco said:
Any rider at WT or PCT shouldn't be allowed to ride L'Avenir.

I completely agree. Just as it was a nonsense that the BabyGiro used to allow riders up to 27, it is ridiculous that pros on top tier team can compete at l'Avenir. Those guys are pros and should be racing pros not espoirs.
LOL. I remember when Fignon won Lavenir after winning the Tour de France.

Escarabajo said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
yaco said:

I completely agree. Just as it was a nonsense that the BabyGiro used to allow riders up to 27, it is ridiculous that pros on top tier team can compete at l'Avenir. Those guys are pros and should be racing pros not espoirs.
LOL. I remember when Fignon won Lavenir after winning the Tour de France.

Yes, pros beating up espoirs in espoirs races has a long and inglorious history. Do you think that someone is blaming Bernal for being able to take advantage of a stupid rule rather than blaming the stupid rule?

swissfr said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
yaco said:

I can see your point, but the Tour de l'Avenir also needs these guys to attract sponsors and journalists to the events.

The Tour de l'Avenir is organized by ASO...

Yeah I know, but do you think the ASO would keep on organizing it if it was a huge waste of money?

TRENDING THREADS