• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Angliru said:
DNP-Old said:
Angliru said:
Ruudz0r said:
Bernal is flying towards his first pro win (.2 is not pro for me), he attacked with 5K to go on the final climb and his gap is now 50 seconds with 3K to go!

What race is this?
Sibiu Tour, 2.1 stagerace in Romania. He won it last year, but it was 2.2 back then.

Thanks! :)

That's was the tour of Bihor-Belloto he won last year, same country, different race. Last years edition was won by the bulgarian Mikhail Mihalyov

So no races like Burgos then?

I think he's wasting his time doing the races he's doing. I don't think beating up 2.2 races is very useful.

Biggest problem is that he biggest races available and suitable for him are all early season, as he ain't doing GTs yet, but he should be rixing better stuff than freaking espoir races

GenericBoonenFan said:
Angliru said:
DNP-Old said:
Angliru said:
Ruudz0r said:
Bernal is flying towards his first pro win (.2 is not pro for me), he attacked with 5K to go on the final climb and his gap is now 50 seconds with 3K to go!

What race is this?
Sibiu Tour, 2.1 stagerace in Romania. He won it last year, but it was 2.2 back then.

Thanks! :)

That's was the tour of Bihor-Belloto he won last year, same country, different race. Last years edition was won by the bulgarian Mikhail Mihalyov

well, not Mihail (Unieuro) but Nikolay (CCC). But yeah, a different race it is

I think that Orica would have been the best choice for him, but I don't think that Sky is that bad of a choice actually. They haven't exactly been known for developing youngsters well but for instance Tao Hart has been giving some freedom and looks like he's developing nicely this year, and the team is the most professional one out there. There are also two Colombians in the Henao cousins on the team alongside a few more Spanish speaking riders.

I do think that apart for Froome they rotate kind of nicely in the non GTs, but they still use the trains a fair amount and they don't allow much for free roles.

A lot is gonna depend on how he develops, and I don't see him riding a GT next year, but I don't think he needs to make many more steps before he's a solid contender in WT stage races. His rise may coincide with Froome's decline perfectly.

Froome isn't his thing to worry about anyway, since they likely won't cross paths at any time in terms of program. Bernal likes to ride in Italy (Tirreno, Trentino, Coppi e Bartali, Lombardia), which is more the Landa / Thomas territory. With Landa already having one foot out of the door and Thomas hinting to an exit in 2019 as well, Bernal might just be Sky's (co-)leader in those races.

The core of his program shouldn't be much different from this year, except he might ride something like Romandia or Catalunya instead of Langkawi or some other dodgy, no level races.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
Froome isn't his thing to worry about anyway, since they likely won't cross paths at any time in terms of program. Bernal likes to ride in Italy (Tirreno, Trentino, Coppi e Bartali, Lombardia), which is more the Landa / Thomas territory. With Landa already having one foot out of the door and Thomas hinting to an exit in 2019 as well, Bernal might just be Sky's (co-)leader in those races.

The core of his program shouldn't be much different from this year, except he might ride something like Romandia or Catalunya instead of Langkawi or some other dodgy, no level races.
Seems ok. He does need to drop all 2.2 and other no level races though.

Red Rick said:
DNP-Old said:

Seems ok. He does need to drop all 2.2 and other no level races though.
He has to, since WT riders aren't allowed in 2.2 races afaik.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Usually I think it's a good idea that neo-pros don't ride a GT in their first pro year, but in Bernal's case I think he could do it. Not that it will happen if he joins Sky though. What racing schedule would you like to see him do next year?

Next year will be his third year as pro...

deneb said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Usually I think it's a good idea that neo-pros don't ride a GT in their first pro year, but in Bernal's case I think he could do it. Not that it will happen if he joins Sky though. What racing schedule would you like to see him do next year?

Next year will be his third year as pro...
Oh yeah, I know that, I didn't express myself well, I meant joining a WT team at such a young age.