• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

fantomas said:
According to Marca he'll join Sky's roster for Le Tour.

http://www.marca.com/ciclismo/2018/05/22/5b040a68468aeb25128b459d.html

Summary. Quoting Bernal's agent, Guiseppe Acquadro, speaking at the start of the Giro TT.
"We decided after California. At the end, if his debut was at La Vuelta, he will have a lot more pressure than at the Tour, because everyone will be looking at him and will have leadership responsibilities. By going to Le Tour, under Froome, the kid will be able to be more relaxed when racing, can race his race, work and learn. And if goes ahead of that, phenomenal, but will have no pressure".
Side note: some of Guiseppe Acquadro's clients:
Nairo Quintana
Edgar Bernal
Richard Carapaz
Sergio Henao
Carlos Betancur
Rigoberto Uran
Igor Anton
Mikel Nieve
Koldo Fernandez
Michal Kwiatkowski
Michal Golas
Vasil Kiryienka
David Lopez
Jonathan Castroviejo
Xabier Zandio
Andrey Amador

PCS says he's down for the Dauphiné and La Route d'Occitanie next month. That will be 46 race days before the Tour, for a 21 year old. Seems kind of ridiculous when he only did 68 last year.

Why not take summer off and then do Getxo, San Sebastian, Burgos before going to the Vuelta with Henao/Thomas & Kwiatkowski...

Re:

luckyboy said:
PCS says he's down for the Dauphiné and La Route d'Occitanie next month. That will be 46 race days before the Tour, for a 21 year old. Seems kind of ridiculous when he only did 68 last year.

Why not take summer off and then do Getxo, San Sebastian, Burgos before going to the Vuelta with Henao/Thomas & Kwiatkowski...
Route du Sud was already replaced by Dauphiné, and it was reported yesterday that if he were to do the Tour, he wouldn't go to Dauphiné either.

Re:

luckyboy said:

He probably races the Dauphine for the win and then rides the Tour de France like Ricco in 2006 for learning majorily. After that his season ends probably and he prepares to lead Team Sky at 2019 Giro d'Italia!

Nonetheless, by the time he finishes the Tour, he will have 53 racedays in July... Last year they was some criticism toward Savio for having him race for 68 days. This is terrible. His program hasn't been adjusted or made to the Tour either. This sudden decision all because of his performance in California.

Oh that is the new name for the Route du Sud huh.

I don't know if racing 34 days + Dauphine before going to the Tour is better or worse than going with no preparation for the cobbles/first week etc and no races since California..

Saying there will be less pressure at the Tour vs Vuelta is just wrong, no matter what the role difference is.

Also I was just looking at Sky's team for who will be at the Vuelta and realised I forgot all about Intxausti.. 19 days since start of 2016, only race this year is a DNF on stage one of Norway last week :(

Re: Re:

gospina said:
fantomas said:

Summary. Quoting Bernal's agent, Guiseppe Acquadro, speaking at the start of the Giro TT.
"We decided after California. At the end, if his debut was at La Vuelta, he will have a lot more pressure than at the Tour, because everyone will be looking at him and will have leadership responsibilities. By going to Le Tour, under Froome, the kid will be able to be more relaxed when racing, can race his race, work and learn. And if goes ahead of that, phenomenal, but will have no pressure".
If the idea is that the Tour would be less pressure for him it could backfire. Froome may not even race and Thomas could go Thomas and then Bernal would be leader by default.

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
gospina said:
fantomas said:

If the idea is that the Tour would be less pressure for him it could backfire. Froome may not even race and Thomas could go Thomas and then Bernal would be leader by default.

I don't think Thomas will go Thomas before the 2nd or 3rd mountain stage. At that point of the race we already have had 3-4 flat coastal stages (echelons?) and a mini Paris-Roubaix. It will be interesting to see how Bernal fares in these stages.

Caley Fretz from CyclingTips said that Bernal didn't seem interested in going at all just a few days ago...

@CaleyFretz
He told me less than 3 days ago that TDF wasn’t in the cards this year. I’m not sure I believe this one.

@CaleyFretz
He said it to Neal at the beginning of TOC (that bit is in the pod) and again to me on Saturday after the race. He didn’t seem remotely interested in going this year.

Re:

luckyboy said:
Caley Fretz from CyclingTips said that Bernal didn't seem interested in going at all just a few days ago...

@CaleyFretz
He told me less than 3 days ago that TDF wasn’t in the cards this year. I’m not sure I believe this one.

@CaleyFretz
He said it to Neal at the beginning of TOC (that bit is in the pod) and again to me on Saturday after the race. He didn’t seem remotely interested in going this year.
Please, please, please let this be true.

They probably realize Froome wouldn’t win this year even if allowed to race and they secretly hope Bernal will be at least competitive. If this is the case, it would be rather appalling thinking of a professional outfit (and desperate).

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
L'Equipe are relaying the marca news and bookmakers are offering prices on him, he is as low as 10 which is crazy for his first grand tour.

My thoughts here: Sky must REALLY like this guy. 1st, no other 1st year race has ever been on the Sky Tour team and that's when there was 9 riders in the team. 2nd, it means that his "Free reign lesson" is taking a spot of another rider in the team that was planning on going to the tour. Lot of respect for that to happen. 3rd, this could mean a sweep of the jerseys for Colombia, assuming Gaviria takes green, Bernal takes white, Quintana takes yellow and polka dots. ;)

Re:

gospina said:
My thoughts here: Sky must REALLY like this guy. 1st, no other 1st year race has ever been on the Sky Tour team and that's when there was 9 riders in the team. 2nd, it means that his "Free reign lesson" is taking a spot of another rider in the team that was planning on going to the tour. Lot of respect for that to happen. 3rd, this could mean a sweep of the jerseys for Colombia, assuming Gaviria takes green, Bernal takes white, Quintana takes yellow and polka dots. ;)

If Sky can get him through the first nine days, could see a Colombian fight for yellow?

TRENDING THREADS