• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Congrats to Egan Bernal for a tough fought but well deserved victory. Simply stronger and more consistent over three weeks than those on the lower steps of the podium. I note he put 52 seconds on Yates today which did not surprise me. Damiano Caruso and João Almeida had strong races too. Congrats to them as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He was pretty good in the TT too, and beat Uran in Oropa. But yeah, him cracking was expected, especially given that he finished 3rd in the previous Giro only because many mountain stages were neutered, or even cancelled altogether.
At that time Cadel was hoping his body still had what it needed to win a GT. At that age and point of your career it is always difficult to know - he did after all win the TdF 3 years earlier at 34 years of age in impressive style against a strong field. He had health issues at that time as well but I think 2014 Giro is when Evans realized he was in decline and the writing was on the wall for retirement.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Congrats to Egan Bernal for a tough fought but well deserved victory. Simply stronger and more consistent over three weeks than those on the lower steps of the podium. I note he put 52 seconds on Yates today which did not surprise me. Damiano Caruso and João Almeida had strong races too. Congrats to them as well.

Today's ITT for Yates was irrelevant - He was nver going to take a minute off Caruso, nor lose nearly four minutes to Vlasov.

Landa was held back on some stages though. The stage to Aprica where he paced Aru then only followed Contador and attacked very late, the stage to Cervinia where he didn't attack because Aru had attacked come to mind. And of course the stage to Sestriere where he waited for Aru.
Difference between having to manage 2 opponents while being isolated after every speed bump vs having the strongest team and maybe even the strongest single climber in the final week as your domestique.

Reactions: yaco and SHAD0W93
Difference between having to manage 2 opponents while being isolated after every speed bump vs having the strongest team and maybe even the strongest single climber in the final week as your domestique.
I agree Contador 2015 was better than Bernal 2019 in the final week. But Landa was stronger than Contador in the mountains even without Finestre stage.

Contador was going to win that Giro no matter what barring injury or massive crash, even if Landa was the leader from the beginning. He was just stronger overall. While his team was weaker, it was still strong and Kreuziger was still top 10 until his big crash. Even though he was nowhere near 2013 form.

Contador in 09 or 11 shape with 13 Kreuziger, 14 Rogers and Majka, 14-15 Roche, Sagan, Bennati, 08-09 Klöden, and Basso against Froome and Sky would have been good entertainment.

TRENDING THREADS