• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 95 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'd be very surprised if Pog rode the giro. He's the overwhelming favourite for the tour. Froome rode the giro cause he didn't know if he'd be allowed ride the tour and Dumo rode the giro cause he wasn't confident enough to go all in on the tour. I expect all the rocket launchers at the tour. That leaves Tao for the giro.

Reactions: noob
I'm not sure, with a Giro stage finishing in Slovenia and RCS getting extra money from the start in Hungary I expect them to throw some money at at least one of the Slovenians, probably Pogacar.
They did Slovenia in the giro this year as well and Pog and Rog weren't there. And UAE has said I believe that Pog will do TdF one more time, before targeting the others in upcoming years? It would be seriously weird if they risked it by trying to double giro and TdF? (Plus even UAE gotta understand what I do; Without Pog, Rog and Bernal at the giro Almeida chances of podium just skyrocketed o_O) They have more cards to play next year

I'm not sure, with a Giro stage finishing in Slovenia and RCS getting extra money from the start in Hungary I expect them to throw some money at at least one of the Slovenians, probably Pogacar.

No amount of money will bring Slovenians. Both teams have enough money and won't want to risk preparations for TDF. Only way I see it, if Pogacar gives opportunity to Roglic so he can have his TDF and goes to Giro. But sponsors won't allow it, for sure.

BTW, who gets that money? Does it goes directly to the rider or team? How is it split?
Didn't Vuelta organizator pay some money so Roglic started in 2020?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I quite don't get the Egan-Israel team up rumor at all. Is Froome making them up? :laughing: Bottom line is Egan won the only GT for INEOS this year and that counts above all the nonsense

Despite all said on MSM about some internal misunderstandings between him and DS, I'm more inclined to believe Bernal foresees INEOS being fully nurturing in the coming years the likes of Tom Pidcock & Tao Geoghegan Hart as the next UK Tour winners, than investing far beyond on Egan's Tour bidding & what he can accomplish until his contract expires.

If Egan & INEOS get to part ways, I'd see his next team to be BAHRAIN or ASTANA or even EF

I quite don't get the Egan-Israel team up rumor at all. Is Froome making them up? :laughing: Bottom line is Egan won the only GT for INEOS this year and that counts above all the nonsense

Despite all said on MSM about some internal misunderstandings between him and DS, I'm more inclined to believe Bernal foresees INEOS being fully nurturing in the coming years the likes of Tom Pidcock & Tao Geoghegan Hart as the next UK Tour winners, than investing far beyond on Egan's Tour bidding & what he can accomplish until his contract expires.

If Egan & INEOS get to part ways, I'd see his next team to be BAHRAIN or ASTANA or even EF

I don't think Bahrain, Astana or EF would be a good fit, but at least Bahrain would be better than Israel. And I agree that he might see them putting their hopes on Pidcock, (Hart) and Hayter.

Reactions: Sandisfan
With the Slovenians destroying Ineos ("Sky") lately hating "that team" is old news.
The infamous trains look stupid when Pogacar can take off at will. Lol!!

Sir Dave Brailsford will surely solve this problem. "Expect the unexpected" is his new motto. Buying Rog&Pog should solve the problem but unfortunately for him sheikhs have infinite amont of money.

• Sad
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Bernal has now finished three seasons of a five year deal in which he's perhaps not been the all-conquering serial TdF-winner they'd hoped for, but his palmares is amazing for a 24 yo. He's far and away Ineos' best GT-rider for the foreseeable future with Roglic and Pogacar both tied down to long contracts. And given the fact Tadej just renewed for six seasons, my take is that Acquadro feels he's in a strong bargaining position and wants to leverage it by putting stories in the media. The more traction with other teams, the more pressure on Ineos to renew now and on bigger wages than putting it off for another year.

see!

TRENDING THREADS