• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BTW, crashing into a stopped bus in Colombia is not out of the ordinary. And not necessarily his fault either. They stop in front of you for no reason some times. I almost hurt myself once doing so. I stopped hard because I was not going at high speed but hurt my hand. Training in Colombia in traffic is a big problem. from what I hear here in this forum it could be bad. I feel really bad for Bernal. He was just warming up with his new contract. :(

BTW, crashing into a stopped bus in Colombia is not out of the ordinary. And not necessarily his fault either. They stop in front of you for no reason some times. I almost hurt myself once doing so. I stopped hard because I was not going at high speed but hurt my hand. Training in Colombia in traffic is a big problem. from what I hear here in this forum it could be bad. I feel really bad for Bernal. He was just warming up with his new contract. :(
I’m sure it’s something that could happen to anyone, but it seems surprising to me that Bernal would be training at speed on a TT bike on roads where this would be a problem. Surely he should be riding his TT bike on a country road with minimal traffic.

Obviously the issue there might be that the country roads with minimal traffic aren’t maintained well enough for him to train at speed on his TT bike. So presumably Egan had the option of choosing to dodge potholes or dodge buses, and he chose buses.

Hopefully we'll get some sort of a prognosis in the next few weeks.
He had 2 surgeries, one because of the femur fracture, an open kneecap fracture and a collapsed lung and the other one because of a luxation from the 3rd to the 6th vertebra. He'll be in intensive care for the next 72 hours.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...l-operato-terapia-intensiva-fratture-vertebre

That sounds really bad, I hope he'll be able to fully recover from it.

He had 2 surgeries, one because of the femur fracture, an open kneecap fracture and a collapsed lung and the other one because of a luxation from the 3rd to the 6th vertebra. He'll be in intensive care for the next 72 hours.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...l-operato-terapia-intensiva-fratture-vertebre

Wow, this sounds so so terrible.

At least the operation seemed to be succesfull:
"According to the Clinic, the dislocation suffered by the fifth and sixth vertebrae was successfully treated, in an operation in which the nerve and functional capacity of the area between vertebrae 3 and 8 was also maintained."

It seems that without the operation there was a possibility that he would remain paraplegic. :oops::eek:

Wow, this sounds so so terrible.

At least the operation seemed to be succesfull:
"According to the Clinic, the dislocation suffered by the fifth and sixth vertebrae was successfully treated, in an operation in which the nerve and functional capacity of the area between vertebrae 3 and 8 was also maintained."

It seems that without the operation there was a possibility that he would remain paraplegic. :oops::eek:
Yes and an open kneecap fracture alongside a femur fracture also sounds potentially career ending to me. The most important thing is that he'll be able to live a normal life, but of course I also hope that he'll be able to race again.

The gravity of his injuries worsens with every update... at this stage a full recovery, also as a pro cyclist, would not quite be a Jakobsen-sized miracle, but he still has not one, but multiple injuries that could each ruin so much more than his cycling career. All because of one reaction that wasn't fast enough...

Yes and an open kneecap fracture alongside a femur fracture also sounds potentially career ending to me. The most important thing is that he'll be able to live a normal life, but of course I also hope that he'll be able to race again.
That was my thoughts too. I know a man who is now in a wheelchair for life because he TTed straight into the back of a parked van while out training.

Scarponi, Froome and now Bernal. I think the riders need to rethink training on the roads at high speeds, with traffic or are narrow/windy/with sharp turns etc. There is so much risk with little gain.
Putting blame on the riders/teams for these incidents is not classy. Scarponi was killed at a junction in the town he lived in on a recovery ride. Froome was doing an obligatory TT course recon. They have no choice but to train on roads that they will encounter in races. Cycling is a skill based sport, not just physiological.

The only issue here is making young cyclists aware of the risks and understanding road safety, but primarily the issue is not the cyclists themselves but who they share the road with.

To me I was never an Ineos fan but had always a soft spot for Bernal because of how he races and conducted himself off the bike.

It's very sad news to hear that such a character is suffering like this and has many barriers now to overcome.

I don't think people realise how special Bernal is. Already at 24 he is a Tour and Giro winner who also won Paris Nice, Tour de Suisse, Tour Colombia, Route d'occitanie, Gran Piemonte, Tour of California. If the Slovenians didn't show up he would be dominant in stage races.

Nowadays we have Pogacar, Remco, Almeida, Vingegaard etc. But Bernal was the first of the super young generation and started that shift in cycling around 2018, a time when GC was contested between Thomas, Froome, Dumoulin, Pinot, Landa, Quintana, Yates, etc

He was also one of the first of the super allrounders we see nowadays. We have the generation of Roglic, Van Aert, Pogacar, Vanderpoel, Alaphilippe etc. Bernal was at the start of that. A tiny Colombian climber who could set mountain records but also win Paris Nice because of his skill on the crosswinds, who could beat cyclocross stars at Strade Binache because of his MTB background

I remember in 2016 the rumours of this super talented Colombia teenager that Savio found with a v02 max of 91. Well just 5 years later he is a double grand tour winner before age of 25, despite being plagued by crashes and injuries.

Best wished to Egan on his recovery and thanks to the surgeons who operated on him. Whatever happens, if he races soon again or never again he is already a legend of the sport.

TRENDING THREADS