• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 112 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: Sandisfan
Egan was 114th today, out of 116 classified, in Deutschland Tour; 8 minutes down, 170 kms, medium hard stage. The competition there is quite weak: weaker WT/PCT riders, plus a lot of Continental Team riders (even guys who never rode a pro race before, and amateurs who ride as „stagiaires“ for Continental Teams from August 1st on).

So maybe he crashed? If not: still very, very hard to say what such a result means, just seven months after that evil crash he had…

I wish him joy in the races, improvement in his results, and that his return to the top will be more satisfying that Froomey‘s…

Froomey and Egan were similarly badly injured, one has to say. No guarantees for a complete and perfect comeback, of course.

But Egan has all the time he needs, and I‘m glad he is back to racing now. Long way to go, but good he‘s back. :)

Maybe INEOS are being careful and getting him back racing gradually and not throwing him into a GT with minimum prep after his bad crash. ;):D

Yeah, no doubt about that. And that is very good, also. I think both, Ineos and Egan, behave very professional, realistic and reasonable. He‘s in best hands there, which will enable him to have the best possible comeback.

What worries me a bit after today is that he currently gets dropped also even by semi professionals or stronger amateurs. That‘s surprising, since he‘s a Tour winner, after all (Tour winner = strongest cyclist in the world for the moment he reaches the finish line in Paris)…

But patience will pay off for Egan and team, I think…

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
Yeah, no doubt about that. And that is very good, also. I think both, Ineos and Egan, behave very professional, realistic and reasonable. He‘s in best hands there, which will enable him to have the best possible comeback.

What worries me a bit after today is that he currently gets dropped also even by semi professionals or stronger amateurs. That‘s surprising, since he‘s a Tour winner, after all (Tour winner = strongest cyclist in the world for the moment he reaches the finish line in Paris)…

But patience will pay off for Egan and team, I think…

Did you watch the race ? Bernal was doing lots of work at the front of the peleton - He did his job and sat up.

It is in Spanish if someone is interested. You will probably need to use Google translate. First interview after completing first block of races.

Basically He is very happy just to be riding his bike again. He was the one who pressured the team to get back to competition. He seems to be in good path but He is a long way to go in order to get back to what he once was.

It is in Spanish if someone is interested. You will probably need to use Google translate. First interview after completing first block of races.

Basically He is very happy just to be riding his bike again. He was the one who pressured the team to get back to competition. He seems to be in good path but He is a long way to go in order to get back to what he once was.
Thanks for sharing that (with your summary in English)—I’ve been wondering where things stand for him.

Ciro Scognamiglio (la gazzetta) reporting that Bernal has finished his season at the Coppa Sabatini.

He did not start memorial Pantani, and the plan as we know was the Tour of Croatia and then Lombardia. But now Bernal is apparently heading back to Colombia for a necessary operation on his Patella tendon, before some rest and building towards 2023.

TRENDING THREADS