• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official Great Bauke Mollema thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mollema doesn't need to act like Contador/Froome/Quintana/Nibali because he's not at those people level.He's doing his best with the talent his got,boring i suppose for some people.But nothing surprise me anymore around here.Valverde was lambasted here every day and even after he's got his podium.TVG was criticized too for not attacking,nobody considering that maybe he was already riding at his max just to hold on.A lot of cyclists are boring these days,people should stop watching,no need to punish themselves with this bore fest.

DBotero said:
Mollema doesn't need to act like Contador/Froome/Quintana/Nibali because he's not at those people level.He's doing his best with the talent his got,boring i suppose for some people.But nothing surprise me anymore around here.Valverde was lambasted here every day and even after he's got his podium.TVG was criticized too for not attacking,nobody considering that maybe he was already riding at his max just to hold on.A lot of cyclists are boring these days,people should stop watching,no need to punish themselves with this bore fest.
TJVG and Valverde's riding is understandable. After all, they're riding for a podium. Mollema is riding for a 7th place. Why not drop the GC and go for stage wins? He's obviously among the strongest riders when he's 7th in the GC, so he could potentially win a few.

You're wrong. He did attempt to get into the early break on multiple occassions in the last week even. But he was brought back each time and literally told by Sky he had no chance, they would not allow him to get in.

It's nice to say stuff, but if you're flat out wrong then stop saying something.

Hugo Koblet said:
DBotero said:
TJVG and Valverde's riding is understandable. After all, they're riding for a podium. Mollema is riding for a 7th place. Why not drop the GC and go for stage wins? He's obviously among the strongest riders when he's 7th in the GC, so he could potentially win a few.

I think top 10 especially in TDF is still more important than a stage,even 2 stage wins which might come or not.He was supposed to be the GC guy here and he acted like this.J.Rod switched to stage/KOM after he was out of contention,same with Pinot.The team wouldn't have allowed Mollema to go stage hunting anyway.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
What a horrible performance by Mollema this Tour.
Mollema's performance is not horrible, but you could argue that the end result is not inspiring at all. If he'd raced like one of the Frenchies in current the top 16, he might have had a stage ánd a good GC.

He said that if you are in the top 10 at the end of 2 weeks you are not going to intentionally lose time so you can go in to a breakaway. Would be silly to let go of so much work.
He also added he simply couldnt do more then this and what DT said is true, he tried the last days, but was anot allowed to go by Sky.

Also if in one of the upcoming GTs he loses a bucket load of time due to bad luck/crash then he'll go stagehunting, but ending up 7th in a Gt brings a lot of value for him. Can't deny that.
It sure wasnt inspiring though...

Re: Re:

Billie said:
Flamin said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Bushman said:
The most boring gc rider in the world?
Since VDB is no longer a GC rider, I would say yes.

Even if VDB2 still was one, Mollema beats him.

Even Van den broeck regularly attacked. In Giro 08, Tour 09, Tour 10 and Tour 12. His boring name mainly comes from the fully focusing on one race
His attacks lasted 5 seconds, then he stopped and let himself get reeled back in.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
DBotero said:
Hugo Koblet said:
DBotero said:

I think top 10 especially in TDF is still more important than a stage,even 2 stage wins which might come or not.He was supposed to be the GC guy here and he acted like this.J.Rod switched to stage/KOM after he was out of contention,same with Pinot.The team wouldn't have allowed Mollema to go stage hunting anyway.

So you rather finish 8th in GC then winning two stages? :eek:

Arredondo said:
DBotero said:
Hugo Koblet said:
DBotero said:

So you rather finish 8th in GC then winning two stages? :eek:

Don't get me wrong, but it's disappointing to see Purito not even win the KOM when he was clearly targetting it, and there were more than enough successful breakaways on summit finishes to prevent the GC contenders from taking it. Then again, if his poor form is a result of saving himself for a Vuelta where he has a real chance, I'd be happy with that :)

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Billie said:
Flamin said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Bushman said:
The most boring gc rider in the world?
Since VDB is no longer a GC rider, I would say yes.

Even if VDB2 still was one, Mollema beats him.

Even Van den broeck regularly attacked. In Giro 08, Tour 09, Tour 10 and Tour 12. His boring name mainly comes from the fully focusing on one race
His attacks lasted 5 seconds, then he stopped and let himself get reeled back in.

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=21634

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
You're wrong. He did attempt to get into the early break on multiple occassions in the last week even. But he was brought back each time and literally told by Sky he had no chance, they would not allow him to get in.

It's nice to say stuff, but if you're flat out wrong then stop saying something.
I've followed every stage the last week from the beginning, I've never seen him mentioned on the ticker.
His whole team (bar Cancellara) was incredibly absent too. Arredondo for example - a ghost.

You might have followed the stages, you clearly didn't watch properly. There were several attempts from Mollema to go into the early break, not one lasted long because it sparked an immediate reaction from other GC contender and even Sky itself.

You cannot attack when you're not allowed to attack, unless you have such a surplus in climbing ability that you can actually escape a controlling train, like Quintana, Valverde, Nibali. Mollema can't attack when Poels, Porte or Thomas are riding full force.