• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official Great Bauke Mollema thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
i will if you accuse Mollema of doping and then start talking about Contador doping. Which is what you did in the other thread.

Mollema dopes himself with drinks of pure awesomeness :D :D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
What are Mollema's plans for the rest of the season. Assume he is doing the Ardennes Classics but what after that? GC wise, is he just aiming at the tour or might he be off to the Giro?

he and gesink are doing tour-vuelta. that's it really.

slagter to giro with rabo, along with bos and renshaw I assume.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
durhamwasp said:
The Dutch classic this weekend, surely Bauke will fancy a top-10 placing in this one?

His positioning is sometimes bit iffy, and Amstel is a lot about that.

Rabo has many contenders for Amstel. Breschel/Martens/Gesink and Mollema. Probably the one feeling best on the day will be the captain.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Well, in my opinion only Mollema and Poels have enough power uphill out of all dutchies to possibly reach, say, podium when they turn toward the Cauberg as a little bunch. But they'll need superb form.

On a side note, I've seen Michel Kreder perform extra-ordinarily well in such a finish at Gran Premio Miguel Indurain in 2010, with basically holding Valderde's wheel the entire final climb. Only Rodriguez ended a few seconds in front of them. Even Valverde was impressed and afterwards asked who the hell that guy behind him was. But unfortunately it seems Kreder turned himself into a second row flat course spritner. As working on his explosiveness cost him his ability to ride uphill well. Pity.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Azabael said:
Well, in my opinion only Mollema and Poels have enough power uphill out of all dutchies to possibly reach, say, podium when they turn toward the Cauberg as a little bunch. But they'll need superb form.

On a side note, I've seen Michel Kreder perform extra-ordinarily well in such a finish at Gran Premio Miguel Indurain in 2010, with basically holding Valderde's wheel the entire final climb. Only Rodriguez ended a few seconds in front of them. Even Valverde was impressed and afterwards asked who the hell that guy behind him was. But unfortunately it seems Kreder turned himself into a second row flat course spritner. As working on his explosiveness cost him his ability to ride uphill well. Pity.

Ymmm Valverde didn't ride in 2010 at all ( banned ) ? Although Michel got 2nd indeed.

Gloin22 said:
His positioning is sometimes bit iffy, and Amstel is a lot about that.
He got the green jersey at the Vuelta, which was more thanks to positioning than anything else. He's actually quite good at it.

A bigger problem might be the fact that he's never ridden Amstel before, and neither have Breschel and Kruijswijk. Three leaders for the race who have never done it, and this for a Dutch team.

Azabael said:
Kreder lacks the engine to do well in hard races like this, no matter what Vaughters says. Which so far also applies to Poels and Mollema, by the way.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Rabo has many contenders for Amstel. Breschel/Martens/Gesink and Mollema. Probably the one feeling best on the day will be the captain.

They'll probably screw up and have Mollema, Breschel, Gesink and Martens take 6th, 8th, 9th and 11th or something, after chasing the break the entire day :p

May 31, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
He got the green jersey at the Vuelta, which was more thanks to positioning than anything else. He's actually quite good at it.

A bigger problem might be the fact that he's never ridden Amstel before, and neither have Breschel and Kruijswijk. Three leaders for the race who have never done it, and this for a Dutch team.

Kreder lacks the engine to do well in hard races like this, no matter what Vaughters says. Which so far also applies to Poels and Mollema, by the way.

Depends on your definition of hard, though. Thinking of Poels ending second in l'Angliru stage of last year's vuelta. I know that's not a 250km race, but it therefore depends on what you call hard races.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I do have to note that Mollema ended 2nd at Emilia last year, which is 'only' 200k, though. And a 13th place in Lombardia the year before that. I expect Mollema to perform rather well upcoming classics, as long as his form allows him. Concerning Kreder you are absolutely right.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure either, but I think he has the best odds of doing well in the hilly classics. Poels? Sure, on a very good day top10. But he is too capricious.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Clearly, TGBM, who could have easily won today, thought he'd gift AGR to his old teammate Freire, who will probably retire next year, and who has been trying to win this for ages. But then that clown Gilbert screwed it up and didn't even manage to finish it.

TGBM finished his first real ardennes week, first time he really tried to peak here, with a top 10 finish in each three. 10th in the Amstel Gold, 7th in FW and 6th in LBL.
Especially today I think he was really strong. Just behind the best 4 on the roche aux faucons and most of the final between 4/6th best uphill. So finishing in a rightful spot.

At first I didn't think he'd be much of a classics rider. But he handled himself pretty well. A podium in a monument is not out of reach! :cool: