• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Official LANCE ARMSTRONG Thread 2010-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I think it may be that time...

I count seven lance threads on the front page alone..
Versus armstrong coverage..
Lance's Oz Fee Press Blackout-Bad For Image
Lance Armstron broke away on Tour Down Under!
Breaking news: "Armstrong Brushes Aside Contador Taunt"
The price that is paid for a Legend
Lances Flat Tire
Armstrong warns all his rivals!

And of course this one..

Pereiro-Astana-2010.jpg

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
Need to hear from some people:

Do you want this thread to be a "Sticky"?

Do you want me to merge all the other LA threads into this one?

I think both may be a good idea, but want to hear what others say before just implementing it.

I dont vote for merging, i vote for closing the other threads and pointing them to this one so eventually they drop off the front page, as it may confuse the previous discussions if they are all merged into one (but lets face it, they have all run their course so further discussion isnt really needed)..

and then all FUTURE lance threads unless they are very particular be closed in the same way..

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

I think both may be a good idea, but want to hear what others say before just implementing it.

"meh" and "yes please", respectively

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Dimspace - If it is allowed to drop off the front page then they will just post more 'Lance disappears up Zoolander's crack' threads.

If there is one sticky then Alpe can just merge everything into that and we can ignore it. It wont stop the answer to 'Who would win a fight out of Cavendish and Ricco?' being Armstrong in some people's tiny little minds, but at least the random fanboy madness threads will be reasonably contained.

That's yes and yes then.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I felt tempted to start a topic called "How many 8 year olds can Armstrong take in a fight?" but to be honest I don't think the topic spammers would get the hint no matter how *** a topic on Armstrong I can come up with.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:

I beg you to.

A

Anonymous

How about we divide it into three threads for the year? I really enjoyed that for a while the Contador 2010 was a place to share article links and things with other Contador fans. When I blogged about Lance a year ago, I tried to do the same thing for positive stories, videos, etc. about him. But there are always people who come in and try to pick fights, or talk about how great the other person is.

What if we make a sticky Armstrong versus Contador thread similar to the Garmin versus Sky one where people can debate or argue or encourage the rivalry? There could be a broad Contador thread and a broad Armstrong one as well.

I just woke up, so that's more brain storm than thoroughly thought out suggestion. Cheers

To make everybody feel a little better; I've just had it confirmed Lance Armstrong was paid 3millionAUD for his appearance at the 2010 Tour Down Under. Plus expenses – himself and family. Don't it make you feel good? And yes I have a link.

the hog:
how much of that sum will go to Livestrong? Do you have a link to that?
How much will the Tour make from his appearance? Just look back a year ago, there must be a link...
I wish I command such an excitement about my skills...

A

Anonymous

Winterfold said:
Dimspace - If it is allowed to drop off the front page then they will just post more 'Lance disappears up Zoolander's crack' threads.

If there is one sticky then Alpe can just merge everything into that and we can ignore it. It wont stop the answer to 'Who would win a fight out of Cavendish and Ricco?' being Armstrong in some people's tiny little minds, but at least the random fanboy madness threads will be reasonably contained.

That's yes and yes then.

no im saying sticky this, but rather than merging all the other lance threads in here, just closing them and letting them fall off the page gradually

Mellow Velo said:
What's the point?
A year long thread would have thousands of posts, no continuity and end up in the clinic.
Might as well just have a single Sky thread, too, as there are going to be dozens, this season.

i think 8 lance threads on the front page alone negates that prediction already..

Tugboat said:
Phew... I thought $1m was going to leave him a bit short, what with the gas bill for the plane and all. But $3m that's ok.

The SA gov. paid the jet plane expenses on top of the 3mill. So he got the 3 mill in hard cash and the jet fuel, hotels, food, baby wipes is all paid on top. Lance can leave his wallet at home.

vanderbob said:
the hog:
how much of that sum will go to Livestrong? Do you have a link to that?
How much will the Tour make from his appearance? Just look back a year ago, there must be a link...
I wish I command such an excitement about my skills...

Thats up to Lance. I would think none of it. Its up to us to make the donations to the Livestrong cause not himself.

karlboss said:
well if the sa government receives a return on its investment, congratulations, money well spent.

Lance got the return on investment not the SA government. Perhaps next the sa gov could fund a pro-tour team with that money and get 262 days of ROI throughout the world? Nah. Lets just buy the Lance for 5 days.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
The SA gov. paid the jet plane expenses on top of the 3mill. So he got the 3 mill in hard cash and the jet fuel, hotels, food, baby wipes is all paid on top. Lance can leave his wallet at home.

The Victorian government paid the same for Tiger Woods to come to Australia. Hey if the SA government wants to pay that amount, you can't blame LA for taking it. I believe it is election time soon, so if the people don't like it, then they can vote Mike 'Randy' Rann out.

If you were pro cyclist and somebody offered you more then a million dollars to turn up at a race, you would take it. So people should get off their high horse and stop being hypocritical.

FTR I would be in favour of a LA sub-forum, where you can post and make threads about him to your heart's content. And anything goes, from racing and training, to doping etc.

thehog said:
To make everybody feel a little better; I've just had it confirmed Lance Armstrong was paid 3millionAUD for his appearance at the 2010 Tour Down Under. Plus expenses – himself and family. Don't it make you feel good? And yes I have a link.

Just under $2.8MM. I ain't mad at him.

Plus at expenses? I definitely ain't mad at him. Work your hustle Lance.

Status
Not open for further replies.