• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Official Moser is the new Moser Thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pentacycle said:
Isn't Moreno Moser that Italian rider who never performed above 200kms anyways? Winning Strade Bianchi is very overrated tbh(expect it gives you nice photos), this year he has to peak with the big boys and he just misses the endurance. Let's wait for a few years to know if he'll fail altogether.
Last Italian championship he got 3rd and it was like 250 kms.
Last year in the Worlds he was there 'til the Cauberg

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Last Italian championship he got 3rd and it was like 250 kms.
Last year in the Worlds he was there 'til the Cauberg

EBH was 2nd in that WC indicating how tough a race that was, and Caruso(80th in LBL today) finished just behind him in that NC, which doesn't come near the level of even a semi classic. Moser DNF'ed Lombardia last year. What result suggested he could handle these kind of races? Imo nothing, it was just an assumption people made after Strade Bianche.

Pentacycle said:
EBH was 2nd in that WC indicating how tough a race that was, and Caruso(80th in LBL today) finished just behind him in that NC, which doesn't come near the level of even a semi classic. Moser DNF'ed Lombardia last year. What result suggested he could handle these kind of races? Imo nothing, it was just an assumption people made after Strade Bianche.
I had no idea if he could handle a monument, but if he can't it certainly is not due to the length. More to the competition

I can't buy this is just a matter of fitness.

In his first race of the year (or was it the second? still...) he wins fending off the likes of Cancellara, who probably wasn't at 100% but still a terrible menace.

And then all of sudden he cannot find his form anymore? There must be some sort of explanation.

From his twitter...

"Oggi, per qualche minuto,ho risentito le sensazioni dei tempi migliori,che sembravano ormai dimenticate "

which is roughly

"Today, for some minutes, I had the same feelings, which seemed by now forgotten, as during my best moments,"

So he acknowledges there's really something wrong. Let's hope it's just a bad moment...we'll see what's gonna happen in Romandie!

Pentacycle said:
Isn't Moreno Moser that Italian rider who never performed above 200kms anyways? Winning Strade Bianchi is very overrated tbh(expect it gives you nice photos), this year he has to peak with the big boys and he just misses the endurance. Let's wait for a few years to know if he'll fail altogether.

As explained before in this topic, it's not a matter of winning a monument. He hasn't done anything in any race after SB. Long, short, hilly, flat, mountain, monument, classic, stage race, it doesn't matter. He's done nothing.

I'm with pippo on this. Can't be just about shape.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
As explained before in this topic, it's not a matter of winning a monument. He hasn't done anything in any race after SB. Long, short, hilly, flat, mountain, monument, classic, stage race, it doesn't matter. He's done nothing.

I'm with pippo on this. Can't be just about shape.

Perhaps we should find out what he did after his 3rd place in the Coppi e Bartali TT? From then on it went downwards. Vertically, that is.

Pentacycle said:
Perhaps we should find out what he did after his 3rd place in the Coppi e Bartali TT? From then on it went downwards. Vertically, that is.

even in coppi e bartali That TT was the only good result he had. in the previous stages he was lousy, dropped by 60 riders in a very poor field and a couple of those stages were tailor made for him on paper.

I don't know what's going on really.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
even in coppi e bartali That TT was the only good result he had. in the previous stages he was lousy, dropped by 60 riders in a very poor field and a couple of those stages were tailor made for him on paper.

I don't know what's going on really.

Neither does he apparently, from a recent interview.
We are trying to understand where we made a mistake so that we can learn from it in the next years.

But jeez, I really had hoped to do something already this year. Maybe it’s been my training. I don’t know. I think that good form is a delicate balance between recuperation and training. I’ll have to talk it over with Slongo.

SafeBet said:
He wasn't particularly impressive honestly. He's done better short ITTs in his life. Average result.

maybe, but he seems in pretty strong company:

1 1 FROOME Christopher SKY GBR 13'15"59
2 51 TALANSKY Andrew GRS USA 13'21"85 06"
3 21 KISERLOVSKI Robert RLT CRO 13'28"61 13"
4 6 PORTE Richie SKY AUS 13'30"88 15"
5 33 COSTA Rui Alberto MOV POR 13'31"82 16"
6 151 PINOT Thibaut FDJ FRA 13'32"07 17"
7 83 CLEMENT Stef BLA NED 13'32"28 ' '
8 31 VALVERDE Alejandro MOV ESP 13'32"50 ' '
9 52 DANIELSON Tom GRS USA 13'32"59 ' '
10 86 KELDERMAN Wilco BLA NED 13'33"10 18"
11 75 MOSER Moreno CAN ITA 13'33"18 ' '
12 93 BETANCUR Carlos ALM COL 13'34"06 19"

3 seconds better and he would have beaten Porte.

Pippo_San said:
In a situation similar to last year, I'm quite sure he would've beaten him, considering Porte doesn't look exactly at his best.

which is why I asked the question: did people expect him to win the prologue here?

Playing on the same level as Froome?

Anyway he is still in the game. Now we will see how he performs against the Sky train. It will be very hard.

After his campaign in the Ardennes nobody could expect him to win. This is pretty much the best result we could hope for, I'm not denying that. But we need to see something more, we need to see some endurance in road stages, which is what he's been lacking in the past couple of months.

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Great ride by him today, finished 12th. Seems he is getting back into great form. :cool:
1 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Blanco Pro Cycling Team 2:43:00
2 Mathias Frank (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:00:11
3 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ
4 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin-Sharp
5 Johann Tschopp (Swi) IAM Cycling
6 Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin-Sharp
7 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Team Saxo-Tinkoff
8 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre-Merida
9 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team 0:00:19
10 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
11 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:00:24
12 Moreno Moser (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling

Moser was interviewed during the week and he said he completely messed up his preparation for the first part of the season. He thought he was already in top shape after winning Strade Bianche so he missed some days of training and didn't work much on endurance.

He said he's learning from his mistakes and he'll work harder next winter. He's confident his second part of the season will be much better.

Excellent ride today. Route doesn't look so hard from now on. I'm hoping he'll try to win a stage but a decent GC placement is also a possibility.

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts