• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Official Oleg Tinkov thread.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
pink_jersey said:
My guess :
Tirreno
MSR (if the weather is good)
Altitude training
Trentino
LBL
Giro
rest + Nationals or Route du Sud
TdF

If the weather is good I think he will ride Algarve as well.Milano-San Remo for tifosi.Contador can mantain an incredible level all year so I don't think he will rest till the Giro.Also next year Giro doesn't have big transfers and he will not face the best competition.I think Aru,Purito and Betancur(if he will not have 127 kilo's) will be his biggest rivals.Probably,Uran and Kelderman will ride TdF.

Aru will be enough if he's not in top shape at the Giro and if he is he will stand no chance against Froome and Quintana at the Tour

In next year Giro,Contador will be the best TT-er from GC.I don't think he will waste a lot of energy in Giro.Beat Aru and Purito in the TT and he will have the Giro in the pocket.
About one day races I think he will ride LBL.Maybe Fleche as well if he choose to ride Pais Vasco and not Trentino.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/tinkoff-saxos-three-grand-tours-proposal/

“this isn’t a joke or a publicity stunt. We are very serious about it and we feel it is a proposal that will help cycling move forward. The fact our team owner Oleg Tinkov is putting on the table an important financial incentive is further proof of our intentions. The offer of €1 million by Tinkoff Credit Systems could also be matched by other sponsors.

While it seems like an interesting idea it does minimize many other races (LBL, Swiss, DL, etc) as riders focus on the GTs

LaFlorecita said:
I agree jens. Double is possible but very difficult.

Not now that Nibali is riding il Giro by the way

Tinkov is just an obnoxious rich Russian

I honestly wouldn't trust Oleg as far as I could throw him, but I actually quite like him. He's over the top, you can't take anything he says 100% seriously as he'd change his mind whenever it suits. But at least he keeps stuff interesting.

Thank holy god there is someone who is a bit colourful and out there otherwise it'd all be marginal gains… change relies on the unreasonable man.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it has been mentioned before but why would these riders do it for this price? The money Tinkoff's offering is a lot - especially for people like us - but it's only a small portion of any of these guys year salary. Why risk overfatigue (or being decent in 3 GT's instead of being great in 1 or maybe 2) for that?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Der Effe said:
Maybe it has been mentioned before but why would these riders do it for this price? The money Tinkoff's offering is a lot - especially for people like us - but it's only a small portion of any of these guys year salary. Why risk overfatigue (or being decent in 3 GT's instead of being great in 1 or maybe 2) for that?
Not for quintana...and froome maybe
Bit od courae its mainly vůz od challenge and pr
inri2000 said:
Nibali is riding the Giro in 2015? This contradicts everything else I have read :confused:

Read plášť CN article about astana;)

Hinault says it can be done :)

Nibali met with Hinault, Felice Gimondi, and Francesco Moser at the Conegliano Gran Gala Monday evening. They celebrated Nibali’s 2014 Tour de France win, the first time an Italian has won the race since Marco Pantani in 1998.

"Can you do all three these days? I say you can do the Giro, Tour, and Vuelta, and then the worlds, as well,” Hinault explained.

“The Giro, three weeks of rest; the Tour, three weeks of rest; and the Vuelta. If there was a hard worlds course following it, he could win that, too.”

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...nge-it-is-possible_349424#QOYPBcswKYc8ILTH.99

inri2000 said:
Nibali is riding the Giro in 2015? This contradicts everything else I have read :confused:

I doubt it. Astana want Aru to be their Giro leader.

ILovecycling said:
Read plášť CN article about astana;)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-says-iglinskiy-positives-have-been-taken-very-badly-by-astana

^ this suggests that Nibali will probably be forced to skip the Giro despite his wishes and will have to focus on the Tour instead. IMO

He doesn't call the shots at Astana. I'd be surprised if he could talk Vino out of it.

Carols said:
Hinault says it can be done :)

Nibali met with Hinault, Felice Gimondi, and Francesco Moser at the Conegliano Gran Gala Monday evening. They celebrated Nibali’s 2014 Tour de France win, the first time an Italian has won the race since Marco Pantani in 1998.

"Can you do all three these days? I say you can do the Giro, Tour, and Vuelta, and then the worlds, as well,” Hinault explained.

“The Giro, three weeks of rest; the Tour, three weeks of rest; and the Vuelta. If there was a hard worlds course following it, he could win that, too.”

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...nge-it-is-possible_349424#QOYPBcswKYc8ILTH.99

"He could win that, too" :eek: most likely Nibali would not win any GT and not worlds either :eek:

Pretty funny though, it was Nibali who said it was a ridiculous idea :)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/22854/9520095/oleg-tinkov-exclusive-qa

Does not look like the Grand Tour Challenge will happen next year.

it's up to the UCI, or a project such as the Project Avignon, which I think already has 11 member teams and lobbies race organisers.

I think it’s up to the Project Avignon, especially up to the UCI, and also to the Grand Tour organisers to finalise this idea.

As I mentioned earlier, his primary motivation is Rev Share

Der Effe said:

Irrespective of Oleg's money, I should think they'd be the very serious motivation of being the best of the best - measuring yourself against your contemporaries. These guys are uber-competitive, once you've got a few millions, it isn't money which makes you get up in the morning, it's passion for what you do and what there is left to achieve.

I'm sure Contador is going for the double because it's something left undone, and 'impossible'. Can winning any single one of the GTs really fire him up the same way it might have done 5, 6 or 7 years ago?? This is still something to pit himself against.

Electress said:
Irrespective of Oleg's money, I should think they'd be the very serious motivation of being the best of the best - measuring yourself against your contemporaries. These guys are uber-competitive, once you've got a few millions, it isn't money which makes you get up in the morning, it's passion for what you do and what there is left to achieve.

I'm sure Contador is going for the double because it's something left undone, and 'impossible'. Can winning any single one of the GTs really fire him up the same way it might have done 5, 6 or 7 years ago?? This is still something to pit himself against.
Well, for all his (or rather Tinkov's) talk of doubles and trebles, Contador hasn't actually won the Tour (or even been on the podium) since 2009 (or 2010 if you prefer). That's a long time. I would have thought he'd want at least one post ban.

As for being the best of the best - all of the 'big four' (and more) are expected to be at the Tour. If I was one of them, I'd want to win that race and sod everything else.

Parker said:
Well, for all his (or rather Tinkov's) talk of doubles and trebles, Contador hasn't actually won the Tour (or even been on the podium) since 2009 (or 2010 if you prefer). That's a long time. I would have thought he'd want at least one post ban.

As for being the best of the best - all of the 'big four' (and more) are expected to be at the Tour. If I was one of them, I'd want to win that race and sod everything else.

I can see he may well want a post-ban Tour, but he put a lot of eggs in that basket this year and things didn't turn out well. AC has said it's the race that's given him the most grief, so I could well imagine it no longer holds the allure it once did. Plus now he's beaten Froome in the Vuelta, the desire to prove he can beat Froome after the 2013 drubbing has probably waned a little.

It's difficult though - I know my own interest in the Tour has dwindled in the last couple of years so perhaps I am carrying a warped perspective about how significant the Tour remains compared to the other races for the pros.

Jspear said:
Ha Ha! Tinkov talking of D Brailsford and Sky:

“Obviously, he is afraid of us,” says Tinkov. “Because Dave was the king, he was alone, he dominated the scene. And then I came, and I invest some money, and not only money but invest some brain. And we start to catch up to them [Team Sky]. And I hope, in 2015, we overtake them.”

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/tinkov_team_sky_are_afraid_of_us/

I appreciate anything and anyone that gets up David Brailsford's nose (even if he claims he doesn't think about Oleg - thereby illustrating he actually does.) I know it isn't nice of me, or rational, or healthy, or in anyway reflects well on my character, but, well, somehow I'll live with myself.

Electress said:
I appreciate anything and anyone that gets up David Brailsford's nose (even if he claims he doesn't think about Oleg - thereby illustrating he actually does.) I know it isn't nice of me, or rational, or healthy, or in anyway reflects well on my character, but, well, somehow I'll live with myself.

I thought that logic only applies in kindergarden, and that this forum was above that level?
I am glad that someonce so eccentric is in cycling and that there are 3-4 very strong teams (of course would like for more teams to compete with successes). Makes for a much more interesting races and offseason.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts