• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I hope he can do as well as on Mt. Baldy. Though in this field that would probably mean 10 places further and an extra minute loss. But maybe still good enough to hold on to top 10 and the white jersey
When it comes to comparing California with Dauphine...In California, Durbridge was 21st on the MTF. In Dauphine, Durbridge was dropped by the entire peloton on a 3rd category climb while having yellow. I think that goes to show that the difference between the climbing field in California and the Dauphine is enormous.

But then again, Kelderman's form has clearly improved since then. However, I don't think he'll manage to remain in the top 10 overall.

maltiv said:
When it comes to comparing California with Dauphine...In California, Durbridge was 21st on the MTF. In Dauphine, Durbridge was dropped by the entire peloton on a 3rd category climb while having yellow. I think that goes to show that the difference between the climbing field in California and the Dauphine is enormous.

But then again, Kelderman's form has clearly improved since then. However, I don't think he'll manage to remain in the top 10 overall.

No, I think that goes to show you use a terrible example.
In California, Durbridge went for it as advised by Matt White. Here, they took it easier with him on purpose and told him to let go as soon as he hit real problems.
Also, look at the names were Kelderman finished in California. It's not THAT worse. You overdo it.

But hey, Kelderman is no Norwegian, otherwise we'd know what predict lol

Dekker_Tifosi said:
No, I think that goes to show you use a terrible example.
In California, Durbridge went for it as advised by Matt White. Here, they took it easier with him on purpose and told him to let go as soon as he hit real problems.
Also, look at the names were Kelderman finished in California. It's not THAT worse. You overdo it.

But hey, Kelderman is no Norwegian, otherwise we'd know what predict lol
I was simply comparing the field, and concluding that the difference is big. But it's a valid point that if you look at the 10 best climbers from each race (instead of say, 25) then the difference isn't that big after all. I still believe he'll just drop out of the top 10, but I'd be very happy to be wrong. I've been a fan of Kelderman since his monstrous performance in tour of norway last year when he single-handedly brought back every attack in the last 40 km's and then dropped everyone on the last hill.

I just don't think he's ready to climb with the best on a HC climb, yet...But I guess that makes me an ignorant ****** :)

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Very impressive TT today, he is still very young but a top 5 here is already possible. He has the climbing skills and a lot of power. Definitly someone to watch.

maltiv said:
I was simply comparing the field, and concluding that the difference is big. But it's a valid point that if you look at the 10 best climbers from each race (instead of say, 25) then the difference isn't that big after all. I still believe he'll just drop out of the top 10, but I'd be very happy to be wrong. I've been a fan of Kelderman since his monstrous performance in tour of norway last year when he single-handedly brought back every attack in the last 40 km's and then dropped everyone on the last hill.

I just don't think he's ready to climb with the best on a HC climb, yet...But I guess that makes me an ignorant ****** :)

I think it's a fair prediction. I don't expect him to climb with the best here as well.
He also surprised himself with this TT. In California he finished 27th and he never rode a TT this long before... actually never a TT much longer than 30km.

He thinks that a possible reason is that he's been always very good during this period of the year. He's obviously still exploring his own abilities.

Kwibus said:
I think it's a fair prediction. I don't expect him to climb with the best here as well.
Remember that in Murcia he was in a group with Gesink and Samu Sanchez, before he flatted and crashed on the descent. That was another climb where he more than held his own, and that was in March. I don't expect him to follow the strongest climbers, but a top-10 isn't out of the question.

He also surprised himself with this TT. In California he finished 27th and he never rode a TT this long before... actually never a TT much longer than 30km.
Actually I think the wind picked up in California, he could have done better than 27th. He was one of the later starters, none of them really did great.

Thought this was funny. :D

Bob-de-Beker-Dauphine-Wilco-Kelderman-1000px.jpg

Logic-is-your-friend said:
hihi, i just really don't think it's funny... but i am amazed by his performance and very curious to see more of him.

Fair enough, I didn't think it was hilarious or anything, it just put a smile on my face with the cape and the cliché depiction of a flying superhero. :) Agreed on his performance though. ;)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Its hard not be excited about Kelderman. Young, solid TT machine, climbs pretty well. Give him a tour spot please.

please no (and he rightly wont). Hate to see youngsters over-doing it, and such a young guy riding a GT. Personally I prefer to see said rider do giro or vuelta first, admittedly I wont mind seeing him in Italy next year :p

Giro or Vuelta 2013 I suspect.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
remember that tj van garderen was third in his second dauphinee and it does not look like that tj one day will win le tour.

there are young riders doing very well ( the colombians, moreno moser, others will arrive)that will give wilco a hard time

we will see in a near future

remmert wielinga had the best watt/kg ratio in ab test, even better than danielson
great to remember him!!!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
profff said:
remember that tj van garderen was third in his second dauphinee and it does not look like that tj one day will win le tour.

there are young riders doing very well ( the colombians, moreno moser, others will arrive)that will give wilco a hard time

we will see in a near future

remmert wielinga had the best watt/kg ratio in ab test, even better than danielson
great to remember him!!!

to be fair it was a very friendly TJ course n(aka i dont think he would have come 3rd this year in 10'). And this still remains his best / most promising result.

Wilco's time trial is the head turner for this race. He also climbed pretty well in ToC, so at this point he is making good progress. TJ has hardly progressed really, different riders so we'll see what happens. Point is he (Kelderman) is on the right course at the moment.

Anyway much of this is not relevant, it is to be seen how Wilco (and the likes of Quintana) will recuperate and recover in a three week scenario.