• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does not have the form of the Giro or Dauphine and appears to be a bit tired to me.

Should either save energy a couple of stages and see how it goes. Or if it doesn't go better after that drop out and call it a day. If you push too much you could destroy yourself for 2/3 seasons like young Kreuziger did

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Does not have the form of the Giro or Dauphine and appears to be a bit tired to me.

Should either save energy a couple of stages and see how it goes. Or if it doesn't go better after that drop out and call it a day. If you push too much you could destroy yourself for 2/3 seasons like young Kreuziger did
or forever,like lovkvist.

Hi, it is the first time that I write but i have been reading since long time, I'm a rabo/belkin fan, and wilco is of course my favorite rider since the dauphine in 2012.To be honest I expected more for kelderman today in a not very steep climb, probably if would be better for him to try to go for a stage win, but belkin directors always prefer a top 10 spot, and in the trime trial he coul get into that top 10 place.

It's still nice to finish 3rd with bad legs and only average form
Besides, when Majka was 7th in the Giro 2013, he was only 19th in the Vuelta 2013. And Majka was a year older than Kelderman now.

So he isn't doing that bad. Most people suffer in their 2nd GT. Hell even Nibali a few years back was a lot worse in the Vuelta than in the Giro (ofcourse last year with more experience it was different).
Not anybody is like Aru who can seemingly do it effortlessly

I agree with you dekker tifosi the consistency of wilco is admirable. Aru is older than wilco, I think that he will be better than wilco in steep climbs, but i believe that wilco have more chances than fabio in a tour de france parcours with a 50 km time trial and climbs like the galibier.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
pablohidalgo7 said:
I agree with you dekker tifosi the consistency of wilco is admirable. Aru is older than wilco, I think that he will be better than wilco in steep climbs, but i believe that wilco have more chances than fabio in a tour de france parcours with a 50 km time trial and climbs like the galibier.
Yeah, Wilco should have a better chance in a normal tdf, Aru would need a favourable route to have a real chance. I still think both guys will be better than Majka.

Ofcourse he is not improving. He is stil more or less the same as in Utah. The difference with Anacona for example in day results is similar. In Utah Anacona was slightly better some days and slightly worse other days. Vuelta follows same pattern. There's just a bunch of other guys here who are in much better shape.

Kelderman is riding a bit like Majka last year. 7th in the Giro and 15th in the Vuelta now. Majka was 7th and 19th.
Think he had a bit too much race days between Giro and Vuelta to be top.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Ofcourse he is not improving. He is stil more or less the same as in Utah. The difference with Anacona for example in day results is similar. In Utah Anacona was slightly better some days and slightly worse other days. Vuelta follows same pattern. There's just a bunch of other guys here who are in much better shape.

Kelderman is riding a bit like Majka last year. 7th in the Giro and 15th in the Vuelta now. Majka was 7th and 19th.
Think he had a bit too much race days between Giro and Vuelta to be top.

Yeah, he seems to be a little bit overraced, let's just hope that he won't end up being totally burned out after the season ends, 2 gts and so many race days seem to be a little bit to much for a rider of his age.

Yes I also think that he had a mechanical problem, and then the group started the last climb and wilco was not far behind but he was so tired to come back, it is a pity he could be now between 12-13 in the gc because in san lorenzo he looks more or less like navarro

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It's a good idea for him to ride IMO. Gives him experience of riding two GT's in a year. Might have been able to find a little more success riding for stages, but either way works IMO.