• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Official Wouter Lambertus Martinus Henricus Poels thread.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RedheadDane said:
Great ride. :cool:

And nicking the glasses off that guy was just too funny! :p

Nice guy Wout actually went back to give the guy his glasses back.
PSL9CJ5.gif

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Great Giro for Wout. In certain stages he looked like one of the strongest climbers in this race. Throwing the glasses of that "fan" (idiot) makes 2x better.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Froom is fading. It is so typical of Australian swimming training method, most Australian swimmers can only have one career peak then going down rapidly. So they have to constantly look for the new raw talents. Will Poels be the next "Froom"?:eek:

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Froom is fading. It is so typical of Australian swimming training method, most Australian swimmers can only have one career peak then going down rapidly. So they have to constantly look for the new raw talents. Will Poels be the next "Froom"?:eek:

This is what i thought when i saw Froome performance in the TT.If he's going the Wiggo way,Poels is gonna lead Sky in TDF next year.But i still hope Froome will come back,i really like his crazy acceleration,plus he's still young in comparation with Wiggo.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:

wow. you hit the nail so hard there. ti's also reaosn why all australian track talent are dead in the water in their early 20s and their road careers fail.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
According to the team Sky website he's 1,83m and 65kg, but that would be my height and weight and he's way thinner than me, his legs also look rather thin. I'd guess he's around 61 or 62kg.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
He won't give up without a fight tomorrow. But im quite sure he will get dropped by AC, and mix it up with Uran, Quantana and maybe purito.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Re:

rm7 said:
He won't give up without a fight tomorrow. But im quite sure he will get dropped by AC, and mix it up with Uran, Quantana and maybe purito.

Quite sure, lol. What makes you think so? AC is not particularly good in neither openign TT nor today's climb.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

maxmartin said:
rm7 said:

Quite sure, lol. What makes you think so? AC is not particularly good in neither openign TT nor today's climb.

It's a big climb - 16,7 km 8 % avg. There no pleateus to recover, and it's not a 10 km climb with 6-7 % for the second best climbers. There's a BIG difference.

AC (after comeback) have not been good in these very short powerful TT's, but very good in hilly TT's. What would the point be of a attack today? Either way someone would have gone up the road if he decided to go full gas and close the gap to Poels. It would have been a totalt waste of energy.

If Nibali/Uran/Quintana/Purito had attacked and he didn't respond - well that would be another story. It was a B og C level climber who attacked 500 meter from the top, and now everybody thinks he can ride with Contador on af big MTF.....

Re: Re:

rm7 said:
maxmartin said:
rm7 said:

It's a big climb - 16,7 km 8 % avg. There no pleateus to recover, and it's not a 10 km climb with 6-7 % for the second best climbers. There's a BIG difference.

AC (after comeback) have not been good in these very short powerful TT's, but very good in hilly TT's. What would the point be of a attack today? Either way someone would have gone up the road if he decided to go full gas and close the gap to Poels. It would have been a totalt waste of energy.

If Nibali/Uran/Quintana/Purito had attacked and he didn't respond - well that would be another story. It was a B og C level climber who attacked 500 meter from the top, and now everybody thinks he can ride with Contador on af big MTF.....

I agree Alberto should be able to drop Poels tomorrow but it's not a sure thing.

Poels is very random or irregular in long climbs. He tends to better at steeper climbs though, like Zoncolan or Angliru.

I don't think he has a chance of keeping the jersey even if he's with Sky. Contador is simply too good. Normally I'd say Quintana also, but i have no idea of his form