• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

'The Old Contador is gone' Claim

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Imo it's not Contador that's become worse, it's his aggressive racing style, which nowadays is totally ineffective. He's facing a much stiffer competition than in the last few years, so he needs to be more conservative. In the Vuelta he was lucky he was racing against competition who had their bad days as well, Froome on the other hand can rely on an alien recovery system. If Contador goes berserk on each Tour MTF this year, Froome will turn on the diesel, close the gap and leave him behind. Anyway, tires will be smoking this summer...

Yes, its's good to see attacks, but since the Vuelta they have been aggressive but fruitless. He seems to put more effort into them than in previous years (you see the aggression in his face) but they generally fail. Attacks in Giro 2011 for example look easy for him I.e. no visible signs that he is struggling. I don't know what this indicates

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Yes, its's good to see attacks, but since the Vuelta they have been aggressive but fruitless. He seems to put more effort into them than in previous years (you see the aggression in his face) but they generally fail. Attacks in Giro 2011 for example look easy for him I.e. no visible signs that he is struggling. I don't know what this indicates

Giro 2011 competition < Vuelta 2012 competition

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Contador has to be very agressive, because it is the only possibility to win the Tour. He won't win the Tour in time trials. Someone expressed an idea that Contador should choose one or two X day to put extra effort and gain the time. To me, that would be quite misspent because one can not guarantee his significant edge on one particular day. In addition, if Contador doesn't attacks, Froome will make a move. It is almost guaranteed.

LaFlorecita said:
Not sure I understand :confused:

Netserk said:
Comeback strength vs. pre ban/retirement strength

LaFlorecita said:
But what about the Bolded Capital Letters :confused: by the way Piti seems very strong still.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Basso = not quite robo Basso, but still had a year or 2 as a top gt rider after his comeback

Valverde = to early to say yet, but what we saw in the Vuelta was VERY promising to say atleast.

Armstrong = old

Lol funny to see ya'll reading so much into his post and reaching these conclusions? All the original poster was doing was observing that mbiuro wrote The Great One's name with a capital letter- Contador; but wrote all the other rider's names without capitalizating the first letter- armstrong, valverde, basso.
;)

The Hitch said:
Lol funny to see ya'll reading so much into his post and reaching these conclusions? All the original poster was doing was observing that mbiuro wrote The Great One's name with a capital letter- Contador; but wrote all the other rider's names without capitalizating the first letter- armstrong, valverde, basso.
;)

Okay that makes sense :p

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
All of Contador's GT performances that have been sub-par compared to his best performances he has had a justifiable reason for them being sub-par. So I see no reason why he can't still perform at a level we have seen in the past.
I don't expect him to be performing to the level we saw in 2009 and 2011, but I think he can easily get to a very good level; not domination level but not 2011 Tour or 2012 Vuelta (where he couldn't drop Purito) level either.

Afrank said:
All of Contador's GT performances that have been sub-par compared to his best performances he has had a justifiable reason for them being sub-par. So I see no reason why he can't still perform at a level we have seen in the past.
I don't expect him to be performing to the level we saw in 2009 and 2011, but I think he can easily get to a very good level; not domination level but not 2011 Tour or 2012 Vuelta (where he couldn't drop Purito) level either.

I wouldn't say Contador's Vuelta performance was sub par. He beat two good riders who had ridden all season. Rodriguez went close in the Giro and has improved his GT riding. Just when most people thought Rodriguez had it won, Contador turns the race on it's head. Contador might be one of those riders who hit his peak when younger as some do. Andy Schleck may be an even better example. Not all sportsmen can keep hitting their best form in their thirties even in cycling. I just think Contador is not as feared as he used to be. And his attacks are more or less expected now. Still he will be hard to beat in any grand tour he competes in even without the aura of invincibility he used to have.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
I wouldn't say Contador's Vuelta performance was sub par. He beat two good riders who had ridden all season. Rodriguez went close in the Giro and has improved his GT riding. Just when most people thought Rodriguez had it won, Contador turns the race on it's head. Contador might be one of those riders who hit his peak when younger as some do. Andy Schleck may be an even better example. Not all sportsmen can keep hitting their best form in their thirties even in cycling. I just think Contador is not as feared as he used to be. And his attacks are more or less expected now. Still he will be hard to beat in any grand tour he competes in even without the aura of invincibility he used to have.

No, the vuelta performance wasn't really a sub-par performance. But when compared to 2009 Tour or 2011 Giro and to what people were expecting of him it wasn't as good as we have seen in the past. That's what I meant. I think it was a really great performance in fact, but it was evident he had trouble making attacks stick and trouble dropping Purito.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait for Contador to show his best form at the Tour.

With Andy probably gone that legacy is fading away it would be a great shame if Contador struggles to find his best. I can see him being equal to or better than Giro 2011. The Tour last year had Wiggins and truth be told I loved every minute of it but it can't compare to Contador's all out attacking style and pure racing. That is why I started watching this sport and I don't want it to go.

Bring it on..:)

the vuelta performance was imo well above par, not above the expectations the fans had but if we are realistic what he did with no racing in his legs for nearly a year was absolutely fantastic.

Sean kelly said it himself in an interview a couple months ago, winning a GT without any racing in his legs was an amazing achievement in his opinion, and honestly i will take his word on that.

Parrulo said:
the vuelta performance was imo well above par, not above the expectations the fans had but if we are realistic what he did with no racing in his legs for nearly a year was absolutely fantastic.

Sean kelly said it himself in an interview a couple months ago, winning a GT without any racing in his legs was an amazing achievement in his opinion, and honestly i will take his word on that.

I remember Majka said after last years 14 hills tournament that The Great One would be twice the rider.for.the tour. Though personally i don't put much credence.into what riders say about what their own form will be, let alone others.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:

Tbh he certainly will be better than in the Vuelta.
The question is how much better?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:

Why do you think he won't have the giro 2011 level?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I wonder to read your opinions guys what exactly you mean by 'the 2011 Giro level'. Just the difference between Contador and others?

Miburo, do you admit that Rodriguez and Froome are equal to Contador climbers today? Realistically. Without looking back at 2009.

airstream said:
I wonder to read your opinions guys what exactly you mean by 'the 2011 Giro level'. Just the difference between Contador and others?

Miburo, do you admit that Rodriguez and Froome are equal to Contador climbers today? Realistically. Without looking back at 2009.

Being able to put out the same numbers, and the ability to sustain his attack for as long as in that Giro.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Being able to put out the same numbers, and the ability to sustain his attack for as long as in that Giro.
OK, by and large it is the the same things because he won't be able to put out those numbers until he can't drop everyone.

I never really understand the argument that because he was not racing he was going to struggle to find his best form in vuelta, it is not as if he was injured and could not train, but much of the new thought is that you do not race to train.

The other point is that people who had been racing all season would have been feeling the effects at the end of the season.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
2011 Giro is an overrated ride. It had zero competition. He only took a minute or so to Rujano in the mountains. Rujano. IMO the 2007 Tour was his best race, with help from Rasmussen.
Also in 2009, but his only solos were on two short climbs. Nothing near PdB, Peyresourde or Aubisque from 2007 (again, in tandem)

McLovin said:
2011 Giro is an overrated ride. It had zero competition. He only took a minute or so to Rujano in the mountains. Rujano. IMO the 2007 Tour was his best race, with help from Rasmussen.
Also in 2009, but his only solos were on two short climbs. Nothing near PdB, Peyresourde or Aubisque from 2007 (again, in tandem)

:confused::confused:

I think you have him confused with another Colombian ;)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Montevergine di Mercogliano - st
Etna - Rujano +3s
Grossglockner st
Zoncolan - Rujano + 1.33
Gardeccia - Rujano + 44s
Macugnaga Rujano + 2.20 (I missed this first time i count)
Sestrieres - Contador + 1.15

That's 3.15. I didn't count the MTT.
Still not great in my opinion, if I didn't missed something.

TRENDING THREADS