• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

'The Old Contador is gone' Claim

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
More like 7...

50 sec at Etna, about 1'40 (?) at GrossGlockner, '5 at Zoncolan, '10 at Gardeccia. I'm looking into consideration the time gained over the main contenders. And yet '40 was added up in MTT though it is a bit different genre.
Going solo Contador gained the time only on Gardeccia stage.

Oh, I have been beaten )

airstream said:
50 sec at Etna, about 1'40 (?) at GrossGlockner, '5 at Zoncolan, '10 at Gardeccia. I'm looking into consideration the time gained over the main contenders. And yet '40 was added up in MTT though it is a bit different genre.
Going solo Contador gained the time only on Gardeccia stage.

Oh, I have been beaten )
I was talking about Rujano

McLovin said:
Montevergine di Mercogliano - st
Etna - Rujano +3s
Grossglockner st
Zoncolan - Rujano + 1.33
Gardeccia - Rujano + 44s
Macugnaga Rujano + 2.20 (I missed this first time i count)
Sestrieres - Contador + 1.15

That's 3.15. I didn't count the MTT.
But you did count the Sestriere stage where Rujano was allowed to do what he wanted....

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
One could also say he relies on the minutes he took on Nibali without the help of 100 kms of TTing...

It is all about Wiggins, not about Froome. But anyway I don't know any GC guy who would attack having 3 minutes reserve, strongest team and one more TT in the bag.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
But you did count the Sestriere stage where Rujano was allowed to do what he wanted....

Yeah, now we are going back to the "what if" land. My point was that it wasn't such a good show. Rujano is a one trick pony, Giro and just Giro. The Tour competition would eat him alive. And still, was with Contador on those such 'great attacks'.

McLovin said:
Yeah, now we are going back to the "what if" land. My point was that it wasn't such a good show. Rujano is a one trick pony, Giro and just Giro. The Tour competition would eat him alive. And still, was with Contador on those such 'great attacks'.
Isn't this thread all about 'what if's? :confused:
'The Tour competition would eat him alive' is a pretty big "what if" too, since that never happened.

Rujano vs Contador:

Stage 8 (Tropea): 23
Stage 9 (Etna): 3
Stage 13 (Grossglockner): 0
Stage 14 (Zoncolan): 1'37 (97)
Stage 15 (Gardeccia): 44
Stage 16 (MTT): 39
Stage 19 (Macugnaga): 2'20 (140)
Stage 20 (Sestriere): -1'15 (-75)

Total time = 271 seconds = 4'31

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Isn't this thread all about 'what if's? :confused:
'The Tour competition would eat him alive' is a pretty big "what if" too, since that never happened.

I think he was at least in one Tour. Memorable as you see.

le. Just checked 2006 Tour. After first and second MTF he already lost 70 minutes. Didn't checked further.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Rujano vs Contador:

Stage 8 (Tropea): 23
Stage 9 (Etna): 3
Stage 13 (Grossglockner): 0
Stage 14 (Zoncolan): 1'37 (97)
Stage 15 (Gardeccia): 44
Stage 16 (MTT): 39
Stage 19 (Macugnaga): 2'20 (140)
Stage 20 (Sestriere): -1'15 (-75)

Total time = 271 seconds = 4'31

You're right. I was counting mountain stages without TT.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
I truly don't understand what you just said there :confused:

Would you be so kind to explain it to me? :)

Overly high wattage can be demonstrated in 2 cases: either a rider explodes all flesh and goes solo or he finds other rider with the same goals and they work very cohesively. If attacks are neutralized, an ascent instantly gets tactical, positional and as a result slow.

Though, I find all VAM matters very debatable. Too many factors. I read something like top-4 passed Arrate stage with even better power than Verbier.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
Contador ?

Only under the circumstances that rivals are paradoxically weak.

IMO, to demand mountain attacks from Wiggins is like to demand winning miles in long flat TTs from Contador. One has its terrain.

Nibali vs Contador:

Stage 8 (Tropea): 5
Stage 9 (Etna): 50
Stage 13 (Grossglockner): 1'36 (96)
Stage 14 (Zoncolan): 6
Stage 15 (Gardeccia): 1'43 (103)
Stage 16 (MTT): 34
Stage 19 (Macugnaga): 3
Stage 20 (Sestriere): 22

Total time = 319 seconds = 5'19

airstream said:
Overly high wattage can be demonstrated in 2 cases: either a rider explodes all flesh and goes solo or he finds other rider with the same goals and they work very cohesively. If attacks are neutralized, an ascent instantly gets tactical, positional and as a result slow.

Though, I find all VAM matters very debatable. Too many factors. I read something like top-4 passed Arrate stage with even better power than Verbier.

I find that very hard to believe since they was slow up Arrate that day. 46 seconds slower than Alberto in 2009

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
I too am unsure that Contador could have performed much better in last year's Vuelta, had he not been banned.

T-A will be pretty telling already, IMO. My money is on Froome.

The fight will be very entertaining. Riis feels Contador needs some load of self-condifence and brings best forces to Italy.

TRENDING THREADS