• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The one and only official job/school thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not doing anything at the moment. Finished upper secondary school, which is kinda like senior high. Actual school ended in February but had exams till late March, haven't done anything useful since then. Applied to a university, but didn't really make an effort 'cause I have to do my military service in January.

Maybe I'll just hang around till January.

Got to say I hated school too. I found learning things that aren't useful in any way to be extremely stupid. Music, arts and crafts shouldn't be subjects at all. And literature shouldn't be taught either. And in mathematics they teach a billion things that you're not likely to use at all in your life after the exam.

So things that actually have meaning to a lot of people shouldn't be taught? What should be taught than? Only applied mathematics and applied sience?
What about the foundations for anything like that? How would people get them if they only learned the directly applieable parts of it? Who'd ever find the foundations for that again?

And out of curiosity: what is the meaning of "useful" in the way you are using it?

Or to make it short:
if you don't learn anything about life or the general meaning of things, why would you learn at all and not rather be dead already? It seems to me nothing is left anymore, if the foundation of anything like independent thought is killed off before it can even arise.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Some of the replies here serve to enforce "classy" debates that go on in the other sections of the forum...

I know it will be pain to your ears or brain but some of you needed to listen more in school.

And definitely Euclidean geometry should of been mastered not just taught, then some Differential geometry to bend your brain like a pretzel (I know overkill but when you're there its like seeing the inside of the world). Logic anyone?

+10 billion Rechtschreibfehler

Rechtschreibfehler said:
So things that actually have meaning to a lot of people shouldn't be taught? What should be taught than? Only applied mathematics and applied sience?
What about the foundations for anything like that? How would people get them if they only learned the directly applieable parts of it? Who'd ever find the foundations for that again?

And out of curiosity: what is the meaning of "useful" in the way you are using it?

Or to make it short:
if you don't learn anything about life or the general meaning of things, why would you learn at all and not rather be dead already? It seems to me nothing is left anymore, if the foundation of anything like independent thought is killed off before it can even arise.

By things that have a meaning to people I suppose you mean music, arts and crafts. Those are hobbies and a vast majority doesn't indulge themselves in those hobbies and they really serve a purpose in school for a small percentage.
In Finnish curriculum music means that you sing in school or play instruments if you know how to, 80% of the class doesn't do either so it's useless.
Arts is pretty much the same, you just draw and most are crappy drawers and it's not like you get any better 'cause nobody teaches you to get better. Crafts is useless, because again a very small percentage will ever do something remotely close to that again. If you have to have crafts then make it useful and teach things that come up in mundane life, not how to make ornaments.
Many things in life have a meaning to me but I don't expect them to be taught in school, 'cause they serve no meaning to most of my peers.

And by useful I mean things that serve a purpose to you in your later life and you can think "oh great they taught me this at school so I know how to handle this" when you encounter a problem. So far drawing or singing has never got me out of trouble. Neither do I think that those things are sophisticating in any way. Million things could be said to be sophisticating that aren't taught in school.

School is supposed to be about educating people, not making them waste their time with things that aren't relevant at all. Elementary school math is okay, you learn all the basic stuff there. But after that in upper secondary school here in Finland, you are taught things that are of no use unless you decide to pursue a career in mathematical field. To most people it is just a waste of time learning things that you forget soon and never have to use again. School should be less mandatory in terms of subjects you have to study. You should be able to choose subjects that are useful to you in your future when you go to university and so on or choose subjects that hold a meaning to you. Education would be more efficient that way and people could concentrate on things that they find interesting/useful and all the unnecessary crap could be left out.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Nastyy said:
By things that have a meaning to people I suppose you mean music, arts and crafts. Those are hobbies and a vast majority doesn't indulge themselves in those hobbies and they really serve a purpose in school for a small percentage.
In Finnish curriculum music means that you sing in school or play instruments if you know how to, 80% of the class doesn't do either so it's useless.
Arts is pretty much the same, you just draw and most are crappy drawers and it's not like you get any better 'cause nobody teaches you to get better. Crafts is useless, because again a very small percentage will ever do something remotely close to that again. If you have to have crafts then make it useful and teach things that come up in mundane life, not how to make ornaments.
Many things in life have a meaning to me but I don't expect them to be taught in school, 'cause they serve no meaning to most of my peers.

And by useful I mean things that serve a purpose to you in your later life and you can think "oh great they taught me this at school so I know how to handle this" when you encounter a problem. So far drawing or singing has never got me out of trouble. Neither do I think that those things are sophisticating in any way. Million things could be said to be sophisticating that aren't taught in school.

School is supposed to be about educating people, not making them waste their time with things that aren't relevant at all. Elementary school math is okay, you learn all the basic stuff there. But after that in upper secondary school here in Finland, you are taught things that are of no use unless you decide to pursue a career in mathematical field. To most people it is just a waste of time learning things that you forget soon and never have to use again. School should be less mandatory in terms of subjects you have to study. You should be able to choose subjects that are useful to you in your future when you go to university and so on or choose subjects that hold a meaning to you. Education would be more efficient that way and people could concentrate on things that they find interesting/useful and all the unnecessary crap could be left out.

But secondary school isn't compulsory is it?
Do you suggest that you start at university after primary school?

Magnus said:
But secondary school isn't compulsory is it?
Do you suggest that you start at university after primary school?

Of course not but you have to choose between upper secondary school or vocational school. If you want to go to university you go to upper secondary school, you can get to a university after vocational school too but it is much harder and probably 5% or even less of those who finish vocational school even apply to a university.

And even though secondary school is voluntarily, after you go there, most of the courses are mandatory.

Had three exams after this semester, two I failed the third I don't know about (but I hope)
One of those I failed I don't even really know what went wrong, the other was a classical case of brain meltdown...
Halfway through my BA, which I'll have to take over four years instead of the usual three.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I am a school student and I am just completing my first lot of exams.
Generally my school is very competitive and so it is really a good motivation for working hard, but it is really hard to keep on top of everything.

I have had 25 Exams in the past 2 weeks and next year there is more and the next and the next year as well.

Also its an only boys school but teachers are generally friendly and rules arent that harsh. Though our playground is a concrete slab we have been trying to move for years but London is so crowded it is difficult to. We play some sport but out Sports department is pathetic basically consists of an Australian and a Scotsman who are both dropouts and cant play most sports for their life. We do play football and cricket, badmintion, Table tennis, running and basketball against other schools. Luckily we now have an indian teacher who has taken over cricket so we are now getting some proper games in.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
They're GCSEs, which are designed so that even idiots get A*, so I wouldn't be impressed if someone could sit two at once.

Precisely.
It isnt exactly over the 2 weeks though as I did in fact do a couple back in May.
Sad thing is I still have to do around another 30 of these stupid GCSE exams....

Though Waterloo the grade boundaries are based so that only the top students will get A*, so no idiots
Though I have got A* in all of the ones I have got back so far.

even A levels people usually get at least 1 day where they sit 2 maybe even 3 exams and thats miles harder than gcse's.

DominicDecoco said:
Hardly 'exams' then..?

At the end of the day they dont really matter unless you really fail.

To put it in perspective, the first question of a language listening exam will be "what is the cats name" (in english) . The examiner will press the play on the tape at which point a native speaker will say in the target language -
tttttttthhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeee -----------(long pause) caaaaaaaaaatssss ---------naaaaammmmmmeeeeee ------- iiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssss ------- fffffffeeeeeeeeeeeellllliiiiiixxxxxx.

The tape will then repeat the answer in case you misssed it the first time:cool:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
i'm a student, a future programmer

bah, dislike programming.
I had to do a couple programming units during my course and fair to say had a lot of headaches. I did enjoy it at times, especially advanced web development.

Froome19 said:

how old are you?

---------

Anyway I am..

a) a student; In two weeks I begin my final semester of University (just 3 units left) :cool: I am doing my bachelor degree of Information Technology and my Major is Networking. I should be finished in october (providing I passed the exams I just recently completed, which I am confident I did), at this point I hope to seek employement in the IT field.

b) currently working part time for a logistics company. We basically ship freight accross Australia via Trucks (I am in admin, therefore mainly provide quotes, booking and general office work. I also help out when there are IT related problems); mostly boats, caravans, trucks, cars. It is not a bad gig actually.

Has anyone done the IB on here? If so can you pls explain the pros and cons.

In NSW we have a good program ( the HSC ) but some schools are offering IB ( including mine ) and therefore i am placed in a conundrum. Both of these are my courses before University.

The HSC is 10- 13 units. My strengths lie in humanities. If i do the HSC i can do ancient/ modern and probably even extension ( 5 units ). Then i can do high level english, business studies and possibly economics. I would also do geography. I could also consider PRS ( Philosophy and religious studies ), Legal studies and general maths, or skip them all.

If i do the IB i have to broaden my scope. You have to do 3 Standard level and 3 High level. However i would have to do maths and a language ( beginners' Italian )- which i might not be confident in.

My 3 high ones would be Geo, History and English ( probably ). I would at standard level probably do Italian ( which would be earlier than all of my other exams thanks to Europe ), Maths 9 which is apparently hard- even at Standard level ) and a science ( either Biography or sports science ). You then also have to do a compulsory course called ( TOK ) which is Theory of Knowledge- which looks at how knowledge has been accumulated.
The disadvantage of IB is also you have to do a lot of work out of school. However it is well recognised overseas, though the HSC is as well.

Thx.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
Has anyone done the IB on here? If so can you pls explain the pros and cons.

In NSW we have a good program ( the HSC ) but some schools are offering IB ( including mine ) and therefore i am placed in a conundrum. Both of these are my courses before University.

The HSC is 10- 13 units. My strengths lie in humanities. If i do the HSC i can do ancient/ modern and probably even extension ( 5 units ). Then i can do high level english, business studies and possibly economics. I would also do geography. I could also consider PRS ( Philosophy and religious studies ), Legal studies and general maths, or skip them all.

If i do the IB i have to broaden my scope. You have to do 3 Standard level and 3 High level. However i would have to do maths and a language ( beginners' Italian )- which i might not be confident in.

My 3 high ones would be Geo, History and English ( probably ). I would at standard level probably do Italian ( which would be earlier than all of my other exams thanks to Europe ), Maths 9 which is apparently hard- even at Standard level ) and a science ( either Biography or sports science ). You then also have to do a compulsory course called ( TOK ) which is Theory of Knowledge- which looks at how knowledge has been accumulated.
The disadvantage of IB is also you have to do a lot of work out of school. However it is well recognised overseas, though the HSC is as well.

Thx.
I am pretty sure IB is standard across all Schools in Australia. I think that many of the possibilities that IB brings can still be done through your classic HSC to University to Overseas progression so it depends on what you want to do. Many schools only offer it to their top couple of students anyway so it can be quite hard to get into. I am not 100% sure on this, as I am long gone from the High School education system, but good luck to you.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Anyway I am..

a) a student; In two weeks I begin my final semester of University (just 3 units left) :cool: I am doing my bachelor degree of Information Technology and my Major is Networking. I should be finished in october (providing I passed the exams I just recently completed, which I am confident I did), at this point I hope to seek employement in the IT field.
You shouldn't have much trouble with finding employment in IT Timmy, as it is one of the few growing industries in Australia.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts