• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The one and only official job/school thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Completed Science Degree, doing some other little courses this year, probably doing a Masters in Law. Hopefully continue to do something in Law after that, then go into Politics (preferably State), lose a lot of friends as a result of that, then get kicked out of Politics, retire with a fat pension paid for by the Government, be sent off to a nursing home and finally croak it!

That's the plan at least! ;)

auscyclefan94 said:
I am pretty sure IB is standard across all Schools in Australia. I think that many of the possibilities that IB brings can still be done through your classic HSC to University to Overseas progression so it depends on what you want to do. Many schools only offer it to their top couple of students anyway so it can be quite hard to get into. I am not 100% sure on this, as I am long gone from the High School education system, but good luck to you.

You shouldn't have much trouble with finding employment in IT Timmy, as it is one of the few growing industries in Australia.

Mining:D
Thx ACF, for the wish. In Sydney or NSW only 13 secondary/ high schools do it ( i could not remember ). I am definitely not a top student but at our school they are encouraging the middle students to do it as as the average for our school ( IB result- 34, would translate into an ATAR of 92% ), which is quite sweet. You are right that the HSC is a good program and offers overseas options- thx.

ACF- do you live in Melbourne?

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
bah, dislike programming.
I had to do a couple programming units during my course and fair to say had a lot of headaches. I did enjoy it at times, especially advanced web development.

Lol. Programming. At least you can say you dislike it. I can only say that I'm barely able to turn on my pc.

how old are you?

Froomie is 15 yo :) And his little brother is on this forum too.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I see, almost feel bad picking on him at times now :p

@acf yes I'm pretty confident in getting a job, will probably start with a help desk type job for 6 months tho as a lot of businesses like some experience .

@greenedge
He lives in Melbourne. His part time job is being my foot stool, he got so used to being my foot stool on the forum he thought he may as well make it a reality.

Froome19 said:
Precisely.
It isnt exactly over the 2 weeks though as I did in fact do a couple back in May.
Sad thing is I still have to do around another 30 of these stupid GCSE exams....

Though Waterloo the grade boundaries are based so that only the top students will get A*, so no idiots
Though I have got A* in all of the ones I have got back so far.

Have you done maths yet? I think 90% of the country could get an A* if they learnt the basics

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Froomie is 15 yo :) And his little brother is on this forum too.
Nope I am not 15 years old anymore :p
Climeon said:
Have you done maths yet? I think 90% of the country could get an A* if they learnt the basics

Not yet, I dont know what Examboard you did but ours give us these stupid questions which are more English than Maths so it is more than just learning the basics:(

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Working on a double major in biology and environmental studies at a liberal arts college in the midwest with hopes of becoming a professor some day. I do bio and chem research during the summer, like right now I am writing while waiting for a sample to run in our NMR machine.

It is.
Only complain is that they force me to work a lot on computer stuff which takes time from actually staying with the guys. But it has to be done, I guess.

Best part is when I'm asked to go with them to public events, dinners, african parties and dances, you get the idea :D

The Hitch said:
I feel your pain. My secondary school (ages 11 - 16 with 17-18 optional, in this country) was the worst experience of my life.

It was a catholic nutjob school

Only boys of course. No coed. 7 years of only boys. :rolleyes:

Crappy uniforms of shirts ties and blazers to be warn in hot or cold. Shoes polished and all that.

NO SPORT.

NO RUNNING in playground allowed, not even playing football with a stone which was punishable by detention, no talking in groups of larger than 5.

No mobile phones. Having a mobile phone punished not by detention but by suspension from school for a week:rolleyes:

No visiting shops after school. Teachers posted to shops in the area to make sure no one went in. Detention if caught.

Everyone had to use the assigned train station. Years 1-3 one train station. Years 3-5 another. Teachers posted to train stations to make sure no one is using wrong station.

School lunch mandatory even if it sucked. Moreover to get to lunch 1 had to wait in a long line that got 10 minutes shorter every year. Lines were arranged based on year and then alphabetical order (surname)

No outside food allowed. If school lunch sucked, or if it run out which it sometimes did, you just had to make it through the day hungry. Tough.

If it rained, which it often does in this country we had to sit in class but got punished by detention if we tried to do our homework:rolleyes:

The school did not have the money to buy space for playground cos instead it spent thousands on its own small church and its own hymn books.

If I dig out my old rule book will probably remind myself of a lot more of these idiotic ideas.

Everytime i vistied a foreign country i felt it had robbed me of my childhood. Feel the same way right now. Hate it as much as when i left nearly 4 years ago.

Damn dude, where did you grow up?!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
1 subject done, 5 to go!!!!

really wasn't expecting to pass this one so it came out of nowhere!!!! i was seeing my life going backwards because of this one but now i may manage to be on vacations in 2 weeks! yuppi :cool:

congrats man.

Nothing beats passing a unit you see no hope for.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
congrats man.

Nothing beats passing a unit you see no hope for.

yup, it would have been my fault tho if i didn't pass this one.

the unit evaluation method is simple, 4 testes from 0 to 100 and over those 4 tests the sum of your results must be higher then 190 which would equal 9.5 in the 0 to 20 scale usually used.

i thought "well this is pretty easy" so didn't study for the first one and got 24 out of 100. i thought i could recover easily from that on the second test and was a bit too confident so ended up getting 36 out of 100 :eek: the subject get's exponentially harder over each test so i had to really study like a mad man for the third one where i got 75 out of 100.

needing only 55 i got pretty cocky once again, started studying the day before the final test and almost wanted to kill myself when i realized that i didn't knew a thing with just 1 day to go. Desperation mode was officially activated with just a little over 18 hours to go for the test, no more sleep and lot's of coffees and cigarettes later i arrive at the test and am presented with a mighty hard test (seems like most people failed miserably by looking at the grades :() but lucky me managed to get a supa dupa cool 61 :p

Walkman said:
Damn dude, where did you grow up?!

21st century London. It was a school with a strong Catholic tradition - set up by some saint or something, and for this reason Tony Blair when he wanted to show he was with the Catholicism (his wife is Catholic, he was a protestant) chose to send his kids there and then half the kids in london wanted to go there and it was 10-1 to get in.

Not on ability though, the main criteria was to prove you knew the Catholic prayers and get signed documents from priests that you go to church every day :rolleyes:

So yeah it was a bit extreme for these reasons.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
21st century London. It was a school with a strong Catholic tradition - set up by some saint or something, and for this reason Tony Blair when he wanted to show he was with the Catholicism (his wife is Catholic, he was a protestant) chose to send his kids there and then half the kids in london wanted to go there and it was 10-1 to get in.

Not on ability though, the main criteria was to prove you knew the Catholic prayers and get signed documents from priests that you go to church every day :rolleyes:

So yeah it was a bit extreme for these reasons.

London Oratory School?

The Hitch said:

Pretty impressive that you grew up in the 21st century considering that the 21st century is only 12 years old... :p

TRENDING THREADS