• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Podium Slam

Wiggins may or may not win this Giro, but he’s highly likely to podium. If he does, he will have accomplished the “podium slam”—a podium finish in each of the three GTs. Evans is in the same position. In fact, it’s possible they could both podium, and though maybe no one knows for sure, I bet it would be the first time ever that two riders completed the slam in the same GT.

Five riders have won all three GTs, but how many more have podiumed in all three? AFAIK, only three active riders have done it: Contador, Nibali and Menchov. In this century, Sastre also did it. Who else? Anyone have some names? My guess is the list is a fairly short one, maybe just twenty or thirty riders.

Edit: Big Mig, of course. Fignon.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Give purito 2 more months ;)

3th btw, hell to the no that he'll do better in the tour. Just try and follow Contador and Froome. Don't mess up in the ITT and he has it.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Sanchez in the same position as BW and CE. Can't think of any others yet.

Andy is just missing the Vuelta, Froome the Giro.

Giro, Tour, Vuelta - Name (non-podium finish in bold) (active riders in bold)

1st, 1st, 1st - Froome
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali
1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi

1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov
2nd, 3rd, 1st - Fuente
3rd, 1st, 3rd - Evans
3rd, 3rd, 1st - Valverde
2nd, 2nd, 3rd - Van Springel
2nd, 3rd, 2nd - Purito

4th, 1st, 2nd - Sastre
1st, 2nd, 4th - Basso
2nd, 4th, 1st - Olano
1st, 6th, 1st - Battaglin
2nd, 5th, 1st - Aru
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Millar
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Galdós
7th, 1st, 1st - Delgado
4th, 4th, 1st - Jalabert
4th, 2nd, 3rd - Géminiani
3rd, 4th, 2nd - Fornara
1st, 7th, 2nd - Pollentier
6th, 3rd, 1st - Vino
5th, 3rd, 2nd - Pérez Francés
1st, 1st, 9th - Nencini
5th, 5th, 1st - Heras
6th, 3rd, 2nd - Leipheimer
4th, 2nd, 5th - Jiménez Muñoz
4th, 5th, 2nd - Lejarreta
2nd, 2nd, 8th - Ugrumov
2nd, 3rd, 7th - Breukink
4th, 3rd, 5th - López Carril
7th, 5th, 1st - Jesús Loroño
8th, 3rd, 2nd - Escartin
8th, 5th, 1st - Herrera
4th, 3rd, 7th - Pinot
6th, 3rd, 5th - Rumšas
3rd, 10th, 2nd - Fernández Blanco
2nd, 6th, 7th - Casagrande
7th, 5th, 3rd - Criquielion
1st, 10th, 5th - Adorni
8th, 7th, 1st - Gabica
7th, 6th, 3rd - Impanis
7th, 1st, 9th - Aimar
4th, 10th, 3rd - Van Looy
1st, 7th, 10th - Moser
10th, 8th, 2nd - Muñóz Machín

Netserk, in the 2009 Giro, Sastre did finish fourth on the road, but he was moved up to third after DiLuca was stripped of his second place finish. Menchov, of course, has practically made a career of moving up on the podium as guys ahead of him got busted.

Found another: Tony Rominger. I didn’t realize he came so close to winning all three GTs. Three Vuelta firsts, one Giro first, one TDF second.

Here are some great riders who didn’t podium in all three GTs (in many cases, because they never or rarely entered one of them):

Gino Bartali
Fausto Coppi
Louison Bobet
Bernard Thevenet
Joop Zoetemelk
Greg Lemond

I think riders who podium in all three GTs, if they don't win them all, tend to be second tier. The greatest riders tend to focus on the TDF, of course, and maybe one other GT.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Nah I don't think so :eek: If he has recovered in time he will be doing the Tour.

I hope so, I have no illusion of him actually winning (or being on the podium) but I'd just like to see him ride the tour again and then hopefully he'll do Giro next year.

TRENDING THREADS