• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Podium Slam

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
tobydawq said:
tobydawq said:
He was 5th in 2010.

Again. He was 3rd in 2010. Contador and Menchov were stricken.

A fact which is rightfully ignored in this thread.

It is neither rightfully, nor is it ignored in this thread, since the same rule applied to other riders in the list.

Yes, it is ignored. Netserk wrote it himself on the last page...

It is difficult for me to say as I am a sample size of 1, but I rate them all the same. I suppose I rate the Tour marginally higher because I have been told on here that it is more prestigious and because I am an American who grew up watching Lance ride the Tour while pretending like the Giro and Vuelta didn't exist.

However, my take is that placing matters less than your viability as a contender/attacker. For example, riding like Meintjes to an anonymous 7th place in the Tour is worth significantly less than Contador's disarmed assaults in the Tour (8th) or his panache in securing 5th in the Vuelta. Perhaps the discrepancy in those two entities is too great for this purpose, though, so I'll also say that Yates and Pinot's performances in the Giro - contenders until the last two mountain stages - are worth more (to me, and, I expect, to them financially) than getting 7th in the Tour but never really contending.

Usually, the group of contenders seems to be 3 to 5 in any of the GTs (for example, Giro 2017 was Tom, Quintana, Nibali, Zakarin, Pinot, which I remembered without looking up because they battled the whole way), and I remember each and every one of them. Honestly, barring a memorable assault that drops you down to a a placing that doesn't represent your form in the GT (a la Contador), I have absolutely no interest in who got 6th at the Tour. Or the Giro. Or the Vuelta. So in that sense, I don't rate a minor placing in the Tour any higher than a minor placing at the Vuelta or the Giro. I would rate a podium marginally higher, though.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
But wouldn't top-10 in Tour de France better than a little higher placing elsewhere? (Giro and Vuelta) I mean sponsors, media and fans sure care a lot more about the Tour so that might be worth a bit more.

Say, wouldnt you rather want a 7th in the Tour than a 5th in the Giro? I think that wouuld pay you better.
I can tell you from the top of my head who got 5th in the Giro but I couldn't tell you who got 7th in the Tour.

And the way it happens also matters. Contador's 5th place in the Vuelta was probably more publicity than Uran for getting 2nd in the Tour.
Yeah, we are talking about hardcore fans here (I guess we can call ourselves that :D ), but I think most would prefer the Tour due to the things that comes with it. But I don't know.
Someone nailing a 3rd or 4th in the other two has to rate above an anon 8th at the tour. Ofcourse if you win a stage here and there at the tour for your 8th
Maybe a little
Different

Re:

tobydawq said:
He was 5th in 2010.

Now he was 3rd in 2010. However, in 2010 he was 5th.

Red Rick said:
Squire said:
I kind of miss the days of Spanish Vuelta dominance and Italian Giro dominance. It made the races more unique, in a way. Of course it's probably better for the sport to have a more international field everywhere, but it makes the big races a bit more samey. And on that note, I absolutely despise the Giro's decision to have "Front of the race" & "Chasers" instead of "Testa della corsa" & "Inseguitori" on the TV graphics. The "Fight for pink" slogan is also an abomination.
I agree about the terminologi and the slogans. The Italian is part of the charm.

All races should have terminologi in their local language. :cool:

Giro, Tour, Vuelta - Name (non-podium finish in bold) (active riders in bold)

1st, 1st, 1st - Froome
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali
1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi

1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov
2nd, 3rd, 1st - Fuente
3rd, 1st, 3rd - Evans
3rd, 3rd, 1st - Valverde
2nd, 2nd, 3rd - Van Springel
2nd, 3rd, 2nd - Purito

4th, 1st, 2nd - Sastre
1st, 2nd, 4th - Basso
2nd, 4th, 1st - Olano
1st, 6th, 1st - Battaglin
2nd, 5th, 1st - Aru
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Millar
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Galdós
1st, 2nd, 6th - Dumoulin
7th, 1st, 1st - Delgado
4th, 4th, 1st - Jalabert
4th, 2nd, 3rd - Géminiani
3rd, 4th, 2nd - Fornara
1st, 7th, 2nd - Pollentier
6th, 3rd, 1st - Vinokourov
5th, 3rd, 2nd - Pérez Francés
4th, 5th, 1st - Lejarreta
1st, 1st, 9th - Nencini
6th, 3rd, 2nd - Leipheimer
2nd, 2nd, 7th - Urán
4th, 2nd, 5th - Jiménez Muñoz
5th, 5th, 1st - Heras
2nd, 3rd, 7th - Breukink
4th, 3rd, 5th - López Carril
7th, 5th, 1st - Jesús Loroño
8th, 3rd, 2nd - Escartin
4th, 3rd, 6th - Pinot
8th, 5th, 1st - Herrera
3rd, 10th, 2nd - Fernández Blanco
7th, 1st, 9th - Aimar
5th, 9th, 3rd - Zakarin
1st, 7th, 10th – Moser
2nd, 6th, 7th - Casagrande

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
But wouldn't top-10 in Tour de France better than a little higher placing elsewhere? (Giro and Vuelta) I mean sponsors, media and fans sure care a lot more about the Tour so that might be worth a bit more.

Say, wouldnt you rather want a 7th in the Tour than a 5th in the Giro? I think that wouuld pay you better.
I can tell you from the top of my head who got 5th in the Giro but I couldn't tell you who got 7th in the Tour.

YOU may be able to but the casual cycling fan wouldnt. Similarly you'd be able to remember the winner of this year's RVV much more than any of Meintjes' top 10s in the Tour, but which do you think get more publicity? Its possible that more people may have heard of Uran than Boonen (and you can't really go on twitter/insta followers given that casual viewers probably wouldn't follow a cyclist on social media)

Re:

Updated with Simon Yates.

1st, 1st, 1st - Froome
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali
1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi

1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov
2nd, 3rd, 1st - Fuente
3rd, 1st, 3rd - Evans
3rd, 3rd, 1st - Valverde
2nd, 3rd, 2nd - Purito

4th, 1st, 2nd - Sastre
1st, 2nd, 4th - Basso
2nd, 4th, 1st - Olano
2nd, 5th, 1st - Aru
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Millar
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Galdós
1st, 2nd, 6th - Dumoulin
7th, 1st, 1st - Delgado
4th, 4th, 1st - Jalabert
3rd, 4th, 2nd - Fornara
1st, 1st, 9th - Nencini
2nd, 2nd, 7th - Urán
4th, 2nd, 5th - Jiménez Muñoz
5th, 5th, 1st - Heras
2nd, 3rd, 7th - Breukink
8th, 3rd, 2nd - Escartin
4th, 3rd, 6th - Pinot
8th, 5th, 1st - Herrera
7th, 1st, 9th - Aimar
5th, 9th, 3rd - Zakarin
1st, 7th, 10th - Moser
8th, 7th, 1st - Yates S.

tobydawq said:
tobydawq said:
tobydawq said:
He was 5th in 2010.

A fact which is rightfully ignored in this thread.

It is neither rightfully, nor is it ignored in this thread, since the same rule applied to other riders in the list.

Yes, it is ignored. Netserk wrote it himself on the last page...

Sorry i didn't know Netserk was king of the forum who decides what goes and what not, and that he is in fact president of the UCI. In case you are mistaken and Netserk is in fact not the king of the forum nor the president of the UCI, then i'll argue it is not ignored, since i for one am not ignoring it, and will repeat the rules have to be applied.

Brullnux said:
in the rules adopted by this thread which is the only place such a thing is discussed, created by netserk who then laid out his workings, it is ignored.
Indeed, basically make belief results, since official results don't seem to count. Let's all make up some results then. Also, Netserk didn't start the thread. Maybe everybody should just start their own thread then, with bullsh*t lists.

Sorry i didn't know Netserk was king of the forum who decides what goes and what not, and that he is in fact president of the UCI. In case you are mistaken and Netserk is in fact not the king of the forum nor the president of the UCI, then i'll argue it is not ignored, since i for one am not ignoring it, and will repeat the rules have to be applied.

Did it take you nine months to think about this - still without understanding this apparently very complicated fact?

READ THE STATS IN THIS THREAD!

Then you may find that it is the original results which are counted, not post-sanction results that are presented here.

You can start your own thread with amended results if you want. I don't think that will get much of a following, though, since not very many people on this forum care about amended results.

Edit: And by the way: Netserk certainly is closer to being a king of this forum than you. He is not the president of the UCI, though...

tobydawq said:

Did it take you nine months to think about this - still without understanding this apparently very complicated fact?

READ THE STATS IN THIS THREAD!

Then you may find that it is the original results which are counted, not post-sanction results that are presented here.

You can start your own thread with amended results if you want. I don't think that will get much of a following, though, since not very many people on this forum care about amended results.

Edit: And by the way: Netserk certainly is closer to being a king of this forum than you. He is not the president of the UCI, though...

Yes, it took me nine months. I've been lying awake about your witty posts. No matter how much you post in bold or in caps, it doesn't change the fact that it is factually wrong and it doesn't change my opinion on the matter, so save yourself the trouble. Nobody cares about amended results, unless it's somebody they don't like that gets axed. If Froome should ever lose his wins, then i'm guessing people will suddenly care plenty.

Updated with Steven Kruijswijk and Primoz Roglic.

1st, 1st, 1st - Froome
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali
1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi

1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov
2nd, 3rd, 1st - Fuente
3rd, 1st, 3rd - Evans
3rd, 3rd, 1st - Valverde
2nd, 3rd, 2nd - Purito

4th, 1st, 2nd - Sastre
1st, 2nd, 4th - Basso
2nd, 4th, 1st - Olano
2nd, 5th, 1st - Aru
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Millar
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Galdós
1st, 2nd, 6th - Dumoulin
7th
, 1st, 1st - Delgado
4th, 4th, 1st - Jalabert
3rd, 4th, 2nd - Fornara
1st, 1st, 9th - Nencini
2nd, 2nd, 7th - Urán
4th
, 2nd, 5th - Jiménez Muñoz
5th, 5th, 1st - Heras
2nd, 3rd, 7th - Breukink
8th, 3rd, 2nd - Escartin
4th, 3rd, 6th - Pinot
8th
, 5th, 1st - Herrera
7th, 1st, 9th - Aimar
5th, 9th, 3rd - Zakarin
1st, 7th, 10th - Moser
8th, 7th, 1st - Yates S.
4th
, 3rd, 4th - Kruijswijk
3rd
, 4th, 1st - Roglic

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
Updated with Kruijswijk, Roglic and a more natural order.
Giro, Tour, Vuelta - Name (active riders underlined (because bold does not work well on the new forum's night vision version))

1st, 1st, 1st - Froome
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali

1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi

1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov