• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Rapha hater thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
never bought or wore anything rapha

the price alone is quite off putting for us antipodeans down here

thought that of assos for quite some time
until i tried a pair of their bibs

I now have 4 pairs

i don't mind paying for quality and durability in a product
fit great well made and still going strong

the whole schtick of rapha irks me a bit

happy to take a pass

Well... I got a Rapha long sleeve and winter cap for Christmas. The cap is fantastic but I have nothing to compare it to. The Jersey is also fantastic, very well thought out, very nicely fitting and I like the understated design/colours. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but at sale/black friday prices it's a good deal. I'd say the overall feel is a bit nicer than my Torm and Vulpine short sleeves and as nice as my Cima Coppi short sleeve.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Well... I got a Rapha long sleeve and winter cap for Christmas. The cap is fantastic but I have nothing to compare it to. The Jersey is also fantastic, very well thought out, very nicely fitting and I like the understated design/colours. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but at sale/black friday prices it's a good deal. I'd say the overall feel is a bit nicer than my Torm and Vulpine short sleeves and as nice as my Cima Coppi short sleeve.

I'm a big fan for quality at the places where you 'touch' the bike. Shoes, gloves, butt. My Rapha bibs are the best I have ever had, period and after riding for 30 years I have tried them all. Yup, expensive but like tools, buying the nice ones in the 'end'(get it?), saves money. I also have 3 jerseys(bought pre-owned) and a neck gaitor..fine quality stuff. I kinda have a 'thing' about NOT buying used bibs, altho used Rapha kit is out there.

Re: Re:

Bustedknuckle said:
King Boonen said:

I'm a big fan for quality at the places where you 'touch' the bike. Shoes, gloves, butt. My Rapha bibs are the best I have ever had, period and after riding for 30 years I have tried them all. Yup, expensive but like tools, buying the nice ones in the 'end'(get it?), saves money. I also have 3 jerseys(bought pre-owned) and a neck gaitor..fine quality stuff. I kinda have a 'thing' about NOT buying used bibs, altho used Rapha kit is out there.

I only buy Pactimo bibs. No where near as much experience as you but I've found them to be the most comfortable compared to others I've worn, I prefer the longer leg cut and the price is very reasonable. I'll try Rapha if I can get some at a good price (I wouldn't buy used bibs, very unlikely to buy used jerseys too unless it's a specific, old team one or something) but I think they use the same brand of chamois (Cytech or Elastic Interface) which seems to be the biggest factor.

I honestly can't knock the jersey, it's fantastic and I'd say worth the money that was paid for it. It's this one:

LSC09-Prod-AW15-03.jpg_SMALLER
and on black Friday it was £77 which is a fair price, I'd say £85 is too although then I'd be tempted by Cima Coppi as they can do you a custom cut.

I also really, really like the look of this:

LOM01-Product-AW15-A-New_SMALLER
but it's just too expensive.

However, I'm currently a medium so when they sell out of all the XXXL etc. first as usual ( ;) ), I might get it a bit cheaper.

Also worth mentioning Rapha do a free repair after a crash or failure which is very good. They'll also do you 50% off a jersey if you go down in size, but you do have to return the old one.

Re: Re:

Bustedknuckle said:
King Boonen said:

I was lucky enough to receive two pairs of their classic bibs for Xmas. Very, very nice indeed. My Rapha jerseys are now 10 years old and still going strong. Best value-for-money kit out there (along with Assos - 10 year-old bibs still as good as new). Even at full price.