• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
I'd like to see Wawrinka win 1 more gs - wimbledon

Go from being a guy who late into his 20's was a top 10 sideshow to the top guys, to being one of only a couple of people to do the GS
Wawrika's game is 100% unsuited to grass. He's done well to make a few QF and may make a semi, but I really can't see him winning it. Think Murray has more chance of completing the Career Grand Slam than Wawrinka.

Meanwhie, Raonic is doing a tremendous job at messing up. He just doesn't have the natural skill, and when he freezes up due to nerves, he totally breaks down.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Nah. I'm not big on all the 'biggest match ever' talk when both are past their prime and just back to an ok level for their standards. I want me some fresh blood in the top 5. I'm really hoping for Dimitrov to win this thing.
I'm not saying it's the biggest match ever, but it would simply be nostalgic to see the two in a grand slam final again.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting too nostalgic and excited with a possible final between the two goats of tennis. This new generation wouldn't had a chance against a federer in his prime or a nadal in his prime so i don't care about new faces in finals because they don't simply have the quality of fab four

Re:

portugal11 said:
I'm getting too nostalgic and excited with a possible final between the two goats of tennis. This new generation wouldn't had a chance against a federer in his prime or a nadal in his prime so i don't care about new faces in finals because they don't simply have the quality of fab four

i don't have a problem with that but I think Wawrinka will spoil the party.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
portugal11 said:

i don't have a problem with that but I think Wawrinka will spoil the party.
Fed in the final! I hope he meets Dimitrov

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
What a strange game between federer and stan. What could be a easy victory for federer, has became almost a victory for stan. He had 3 break points in the fifth set

Re:

portugal11 said:
What a strange game between federer and stan. What could be a easy victory for federer, has became almost a victory for stan. He had 3 break points in the fifth set
Both players were extremely nervous in the fifth set just playing it safe. It seems like Stan could not keep his cool and made some stupid errors that tipped the game

giphy.gif

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Yes yes!!! What a game, this is the old nadal, he saved a lot of break points and stepped up his game in critical moments. I just hope a win from federer

Brullnux said:
Red Rick said:
Fedal it is. I am disappoint
Why? Dimitrov is only 25 will have many more chances to reach a final, while this is the last Fedal we can have
I'm more longing new Grand Slam champions and finalists then for a matchup based on pure nostalgia. I think the fact that Dimitrov is only 25 here means absolutely nothing. The previous time he played a slam semi was Wimbledon 2014. You absolutely cannot take that stuff for granted, so I think that's a thing that give no solace for a player whatsoever. History is full of players who had a bright future once and many years ahead to win slams before they crashed and burned. I'd rather see them win now, especially when it's a player I like.

Furthermore, this match is already being hyped as the 'biggest match ever', while common sense says it can never be as good as their matches from the past. Both players are years past their physical peak and simply no longer able to play like they did back then. They adapted well though, and made the final, but if they fail to adapt well, they just break down and it gets ugly. If Federer hasn't recovered well from the injury he sustained in the Wawrinka match, then it's not gonna be a classic, it's gonna be a massacre. Also, the rivalry has historically been pretty one sided. Nadal leads Federer 23-11 overall, 7-2 in Grand Slams, and 3-0 at the Australian Open. Nadal is simply a huge favourite. I'd rather see a more unpredictable match in the final.

Lastly, I'm not that big on the Federer and Nadal hype. The larger that gets, the larger the hole they leave when they do finally retire.

Don't get me wrong. It's gonna be a huge match, but I don't think it's as big as it's made out to be, and the match would've been huge regardless.

Red Rick said:
Brullnux said:
Red Rick said:
Fedal it is. I am disappoint
Why? Dimitrov is only 25 will have many more chances to reach a final, while this is the last Fedal we can have
I'm more longing new Grand Slam champions and finalists then for a matchup based on pure nostalgia. I think the fact that Dimitrov is only 25 here means absolutely nothing. The previous time he played a slam semi was Wimbledon 2014. You absolutely cannot take that stuff for granted, so I think that's a thing that give no solace for a player whatsoever. History is full of players who had a bright future once and many years ahead to win slams before they crashed and burned. I'd rather see them win now, especially when it's a player I like.

Furthermore, this match is already being hyped as the 'biggest match ever', while common sense says it can never be as good as their matches from the past. Both players are years past their physical peak and simply no longer able to play like they did back then. They adapted well though, and made the final, but if they fail to adapt well, they just break down and it gets ugly. If Federer hasn't recovered well from the injury he sustained in the Wawrinka match, then it's not gonna be a classic, it's gonna be a massacre. Also, the rivalry has historically been pretty one sided. Nadal leads Federer 23-11 overall, 7-2 in Grand Slams, and 3-0 at the Australian Open. Nadal is simply a huge favourite. I'd rather see a more unpredictable match in the final.

Lastly, I'm not that big on the Federer and Nadal hype. The larger that gets, the larger the hole they leave when they do finally retire.

Don't get me wrong. It's gonna be a huge match, but I don't think it's as big as it's made out to be, and the match would've been huge regardless.

Federer has a groin strain. Not sure how bad it is. If he goes into this match and he can't play his natural game he has no chance and Nadal was already the favourite even though Federer has had a good two weeks. Nadal just seems to have the game to usually defeat Federer but I have to admit he was looking tired towards the end of the Dimitrov match, Dimitrov looked the fresher but Nadal is in his element in long matches, he just grinds his opposition down and there are rarely any easy points. Dimitrov had his chances and had plenty of break points in the match, he will be disappointed.

Re:

portugal11 said:

You counting Djokovic in that? Cos I think prime djoker(2011 or 2014) takes prime fed (2005-2007) and prime Nadal (2008 or 2010) but it would be close, and no one comes close after that

The Hitch said:
portugal11 said:

You counting Djokovic in that? Cos I think prime djoker(2011 or 2014) takes prime fed (2005-2007) and prime Nadal (2008 or 2010) but it would be close, and no one comes close after that
I don't think 2015 Djokovic could take prime Federer based on how much difficulty he gave Djokovic on some of the faster surfaces despite his age. He beat him soundly in Doha and Cincinnati (the fastest HC tournaments) and really could've taken Djokovic at the USO, but lost because he went like 3/17 in bp conversion.

As for 2011, Federer played Djokovic hard a number of times, beat him at Roland Garros, and really should've won at the US Open, though Djokovic did play better in the final than in that semi. However, that Federer was definitely younger and better than the one of 2015.

I have to say that Federer was a very different player back in 2004-2007. At times he barely seemed to use any tactic as he could just outhit anyone. That Federer is without a doubt the best shotmaker the game has ever seen, and he's been making up his decline in sheer shotmaking ability with more cohesive tactics and better transitioning game and net game. I have to say that Federer is a bad matchup for Djokovic if he plays well, but the Federer of old wouldn't be using the right tactic against Djokovic.

Ultimately it also depends on the surface they play on. The mid 2000's had faster surfaces and Federer has always done better on those than Djokovic. Wimbledon has gotten slower as well. Djokovic has learned to adapt to slower surfaces however, so in the end there's not really a definitive answer.

My guess would be that Federer owns Djokovic on fast surfaces, it's about even on slow HC, and Djokovic wins most matches on clay.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The discussion about GOAT is redundant at this point. As Redrick points out nobody comes close to Fed in terms of shotmaking and sheer class.

In terms of exquisite aesthetic talent, I've played players in the Sunday league with more touch than djoker and Nadal and Murray together. Guys like Sampras, Edberg, Pioline, even Gasquet all trump those three in terms of estehetics.

Re:

sniper said:
The discussion about GOAT is redundant at this point. As Redrick points out nobody comes close to Fed in terms of shotmaking and sheer class.

In terms of exquisite aesthetic talent, I've played players in the Sunday league with more touch than djoker and Nadal and Murray together. Guys like Sampras, Edberg, Pioline, even Gasquet all trump those three in terms of estehetics.
Flashiness (being good at low-percentage shots) and versatility are easily mistaken for talent. Naturally, both are qualities which get you into the highlights real, and the reason most people watch tennis. Everything that's not spectacular is underappreciated because it doesn't look as hard on first sight. Gilles Simon is often looked at as a talentless pusher, who can only run back and forth, has no huge power, has a below-average serve, below-average volleys and no slice backhand. Yet he's been like 6th in the world and beaten all of the Big 4. That guy is very talented, and crazy smart, and yet he gets little credit for it.

And I think it's a lot easier to look like you have touch and pull off volley's in a Sunday league cause you have twice as much time to hit an easier ball.

RedheadDane said:
Danish media just won the prize for stupidest headline.

Willams beats sister

Oh... really? :rolleyes:
Lol. It's not like I had high expectations of what a mainstream newspaper write about a sport, but this is truly a decent effort at half-arsing your job.