• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Right. Groups for the ATP are out. There's 3 guys Murray and Djokovic want to play in the group: Thiem, Raonic, and Monfils. There's 3 players they don't want to play: Wawrinka, Nishikori, and Cilic.

Group 1.
Andy Murray
Stan Wawrinka
Kei Nishikori
Marin Cilic

Group 2
Novak Djokovic
Milos Raonic
Gael Monfils
Dominic Thiem

ATP gonna ATP

Watched the first two sets of Đoković's match, now watching the fifth.
It was clear from the beginning it was going to be a long duel.
That tie-break in the fourth really was a knock down. Considering the tie-breaks are much about the killer instinct and composure, it's obvious Đoković's edge's wearing down a bit. And he's not hiding it. He's openly talking about the lack of motivation and other things in life that make his boat floating. Understandable attitude.
My impression is that Rio Olympics affected him more than it looked like at the US open. Already there it looked like he's running on reserve (mentally), but because of the season by then, now it seems it's something deeper than an ordinary crisis.

Is this the real life?

The Olympics were all that was left for Djokovic (unless we're gonna look at masters, he's only kissing Cincinnati), but I think it is definitely different from the Slams in how you deal with them. Djokovic finally overcame his demons at RG, winning 4 in a row, and couldnt get his mojo back in time for Rio. Its a lot of small things together. This loss was a long time coming, but it's shocking that the loss came this early at this partucular Slam. I had thought that Murrovic would definitely remain top 2 for this year, but now I'm starting to question that.

Bottom of the draw has gotten super interesting right now, with Nadal, Zverev, Thiem, Raonic and Dimitrov all potential finalists from that side. Top side I can only see Murray or Wawrinka going through, and Murray is definitely he big favorite for the title for me.

2 of the biggest 3rd round matches I can remember coming up. Berdych-Federer and Zverev Nadal. Everyone is looking at the first, but neither of the 2 is getting past the QFs. I think Zverev-Nadal is absolutely huge. Both are in this with a small *** at the title

Re:

portugal11 said:
Wow, federer has a unique opportunity to win a grand slam again. I would love a federer vs nadal in the final

If he does play Nadal, he'll lose. Even if Nadal is past it, and let's be honest, Federer is WAAAAAY past it. Yes, I'd love to see him win this. I think if he ends up winning this or another slam this season, he'll call it quits at the end of the season.

So happy to see Murray crash and burn. It would be hilarious if Wawrinka wins the tournament and goes ahead of Murray in the GS tally. LOL. Actually I thought that if Wawrinka and Murray were to meet in the final in Australia, the winner of that match would end up having more GS titles than his opponent when all is said and done.

Now Istomin needs to beat Dimitrov.

I give Monfils a decent chance of upsetting Nadal, but he is another mental midget who is more concerned about going on the top 10 plays of the day rather than winning tournaments, so we'll see.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
portugal11 said:
Wow, federer has a unique opportunity to win a grand slam again. I would love a federer vs nadal in the final

If he does play Nadal, he'll lose. Even if Nadal is past it, and let's be honest, Federer is WAAAAAY past it. Yes, I'd love to see him win this. I think if he ends up winning this or another slam this season, he'll call it quits at the end of the season.

So happy to see Murray crash and burn. It would be hilarious if Wawrinka wins the tournament and goes ahead of Murray in the GS tally. LOL. Actually I thought that if Wawrinka and Murray were to meet in the final in Australia, the winner of that match would end up having more GS titles than his opponent when all is said and done.

I give Monfils a decent chance of upsetting Nadal, but he is another mental midget who is more concerned about going on the top 10 plays of the day rather than winning tournaments, so we'll see.
It was impossible to they meet in the final, they are in the same sight of the tournament

BullsFan22 said:
portugal11 said:

Wawrinka probably has a decent chance. This could be Federer's last good chance to win a grand slam. The rested bodies seem to have worked for both Nadal and Federer.

movingtarget said:
BullsFan22 said:
portugal11 said:

Wawrinka probably has a decent chance. This could be Federer's last good chance to win a grand slam. The rested bodies seem to have worked for both Nadal and Federer.

Yeah, I think Wawrinka has a solid shot at another GS. Apart from clay, this is probably his best surface. The bounce is high, the courts are medium speed and relaxed atmosphere there probably helps him. His fitness over the last few years has really improved so that really helps him and he is obviously more consistent. He always had the game to worry the top players, but not the consistency, mental fortitude and even fitness, now he's got all of it, I believe. He plays Tsonga in the quarters. Actually this could very well go the distance and so it has the possibility of being very entertaining with big hitting and lot's of variety mixed. Tsonga can beat Wawrinka, but I think Stan will pull it off. He's the better player these days. I say four sets.

Nadal and Federer are both rested, but rested because of injuries, and sometimes playing a lot of tennis right after a long break can be tough. If they were to meet in the final, I have to think Nadal will win, simply because Federer's mental block against Nadal, especially in grand slams.

BullsFan22 said:
movingtarget said:
BullsFan22 said:
portugal11 said:

Yeah, I think Wawrinka has a solid shot at another GS. Apart from clay, this is probably his best surface. The bounce is high, the courts are medium speed and relaxed atmosphere there probably helps him. His fitness over the last few years has really improved so that really helps him and he is obviously more consistent. He always had the game to worry the top players, but not the consistency, mental fortitude and even fitness, now he's got all of it, I believe. He plays Tsonga in the quarters. Actually this could very well go the distance and so it has the possibility of being very entertaining with big hitting and lot's of variety mixed. Tsonga can beat Wawrinka, but I think Stan will pull it off. He's the better player these days. I say four sets.

Nadal and Federer are both rested, but rested because of injuries, and sometimes playing a lot of tennis right after a long break can be tough. If they were to meet in the final, I have to think Nadal will win, simply because Federer's mental block against Nadal, especially in grand slams.

Yes that's what I meant, the layoff was needed but of course it could hurt them in a long final. Wawrinka v Federer should be interesting. Normally I would pick Wawrinka at this stage, they both had an easy quarter final but I still think Wawrinka has the best chance of beating Nadal.

I don't know. Neither particularly impressed me. Raonic stands and falls on his serve, and at times it breaks down and then he gets recked. Thing with Nadal is he has to expose Raonic' movement instead of hitting the same shallow topspin ball into Raonic' strikezone over and over again. They playedd each other in an exho in december, with Nadal winning, and they played each other in Brisbane, with Raonic winning. Real toss-up to me. Think it's on Nadal's racket, if he gets the depth on his groundies, he'll win.

TRENDING THREADS