• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

gregrowlerson said:
BullsFan22 said:
BullsFan22 said:
gunara said:
Yeah, Hewitt is quite good comparison.
But to think she is only one slam better than Barty and Ostapenko.... She also need to shake off the habit of being knocked out early in tournaments, she's no Myskina or Safina to do that

I don't think she's really knocked out early in tournaments that much. She's had some tough loses in grand slam finals and premier finals (equivalent to the masters series events on the men's side) but she doesn't often lose in early rounds. The times she has, she's had a tough draw like facing Sharapova at the US Open two years ago. The 2015 Roland Garros was another that came to mind, as she was the defending finalist. The finals loses she's had in slams have all been very close, very winnable. She effectively choked. Last year she beat Stephens in RG, doing to Stephens what has been done to her, coming from behind to win. It's not crazy to say that she should be 4-0 in slams finals right now, plus the tight quarterfinal loss to Konta in Wimbledon two years ago, the loss to Pennetta the eventual champ in New York in 2015, the loss to Serena at Aus this year and the loss to Bouchard in 2014 semis at Wimbledon.

Her issue is that she's had trouble closing out big matches deep in big tournaments, no matter the opponent or their style. It was great that she won so comfortably on Saturday, but perhaps another big title after a tough three set match would actually be even better.

Just remembered that this was actually her 5th slam final, not 4th, meaning not inconceivable that she could be 5-0 in slams.

Come on man. I'm a big fan of Simona, but she has never been a really dominating player, and a 2-3 GS final record now is about where she should be at. Look at some of the players who haven't won a slam yet. Pliskova is the first who comes to mind. Hasn't won one, yet has been consistently top ten for a number of years. They aren't easy to win (the big three and Serena distort this a little bit).

Hopefully Halep can stay injury free and win at least a couple more.

I never wrote she was 'dominant,' what I wrote was that she's been close to winning all the slam finals she's been to. The three she's lost she had a great chance to win, all of them were close, two of them she choked away, especially the one against Ostapenko. You mention Pliskova, I don't disagree about her, but Halep is a few months older, so basically the same age, and she's been in the top ten since the end of the Australian Open in 2014, so that's 5 1/2 years in the top 10 without leaving the top 10. She's been just as consistent as Pliskova.

Montreal should be an easy win for Nadal if he'll be able to not injury himself as almost always happens on hard, both Djokovic and Federer have decided to skip it and play only Cincinnati before the US Open so he should only hope that someone else will solve the Kyrgios problem for him. This evening there will be the draw.

entry-list-atp-montreal-2019.jpg

It's something that has always happened, at the 2015 US Open i remember they asked to start the final in the morning because they knew it was going to rain around mid day but the rescheduling wasn't allowed and they ended up waiting until evening when the rain stopped.
Big difference between a final and no final.

There's no tournaments the week after a Slam so it can safely rain out. There have been plenty of monday Slam finals. In the case of Roger's Cup, another 56 draw M1000 starts a day later. Now Rafa was probably gonna pull out anyway, but the others would get screwed for Cinci if they had to play 2 matches on Saturday or Sunday.

Federer will win easily in cincinnati. I'm sick of this young generation, they are cheap talkers and they really think that they can beat the big 3 but they are so weak, so one dimmensional, they lack mental strenght, a plan B when things are not going well. Seriously, If Andy Murray born ten years later he would win as many slams as Sampras.
In WTA, I was very excited to see Barty, for some reason (maybe variety and backhand with one hand) she remembers my favourite player who could be one of the biggest winners in majors if it wasn't the elbow's injury (I'm talking about Henin). But I'm starting to think that RG was a fluke to barty and Simona is the real number one of women tennis

Federer will win easily in cincinnati. I'm sick of this young generation, they are cheap talkers and they really think that they can beat the big 3 but they are so weak, so one dimmensional, they lack mental strenght, a plan B when things are not going well. Seriously, If Andy Murray born ten years later he would win as many slams as Sampras.
In WTA, I was very excited to see Barty, for some reason (maybe variety and backhand with one hand) she remembers my favourite player who could be one of the biggest winners in majors if it wasn't the elbow's injury (I'm talking about Henin). But I'm starting to think that RG was a fluke to barty and Simona is the real number one of women tennis
surely some of this falls at the feet of their coaches, no? Can't be taught a plan b or c, or other dimensions to their games?

I figured Rublev would have been a decent test for Federer with the way he plays, but that was an absolute shocker from Federer.

Kyrgios' fine is the biggest one I can remember, but still not enough to make him change his ways. Would probably need a ban for that.

Meanwhile Murray is in the QF of doubles, playing against his own brother Jamie today. Lopez is carrying him hard.

Rublev, after his tremendous win against roger, gets trashed by medvedev... I'm not sure if I will see tennis after federer's retirement because unfortunately I get used to see good tennis and this young generation doesn't even have players like Tsonga, Berdych in their best ages

TRENDING THREADS