• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just watched Wawrinka v Djokovic, Stan 2 sets up and Djokovic retired with an injury, got booed by a large section of the crowd as he led the court as well.
The booing crowd obviously doesn't realize that they might finally see Federer vs Nadal there.
Some great shots from Wawrinka and high-level performance overall.
Djokovic clearly affected by the injury, and the crowd disappointed not to see the full (tighter) match.

USO crowd has always been the most disgusting crowd in tennis.

If Roddick still played and played Djokovic in NY that crowd alone would be enough to make me root for Djokovic.

Incredibly sad Djokovic is injured.
Disgraceful crowd. This was good to djoko. Playing like that he would be trashed by roger. It is pleasure to see Stan back to his best shape, he is so exciting to see.

going into the quarters, who can stop Nadal- Federer?

Though Schwarzman showed balls to beat a (albeit very tired) 6th seed Zverev, I feel he shouldn't be as tough a task for Nadal as Cilic was.

Monfils is the higher seed for the semis then, but we are talking about someone who is the same age as Nadal and in a 15 year career has made semis of Grand Slams twice.

I'll admit to not knowing anything about Berretinit, so maybe he can do it. I think Nadals biggest danger is that which I feel happens often with him, is that his physical issues flare up later in Grand Slams and he goes out with a whimper having been the favorite based on earlier form.

For Federer meanwhile, I don't know what to make of Dmitrov. Seemed to have fallen off a cliff, so Federer will be happy to get an unseeded guy this late. Can he at least take Fed to 5 like he did in his career hilight with Nadal in AO 2017?

Then Federer would have to go against winner of Wawrinka vs Medvedev which looks like it could go 5 sets itself. I thought Wawrinka was done, is this a Wawrinka that can take it to Fed in the semis? He lost relatively easily in the French on what would be his best surface against Federer so dont know if he can take it to him on the hard. Maybe the higher seed, despite never having gone this far in a GS would be the tougher matchup?

going into the quarters, who can stop Nadal- Federer?

Though Schwarzman showed balls to beat a (albeit very tired) 6th seed Zverev, I feel he shouldn't be as tough a task for Nadal as Cilic was.

Monfils is the higher seed for the semis then, but we are talking about someone who is the same age as Nadal and in a 15 year career has made semis of Grand Slams twice.

I'll admit to not knowing anything about Berretinit, so maybe he can do it. I think Nadals biggest danger is that which I feel happens often with him, is that his physical issues flare up later in Grand Slams and he goes out with a whimper having been the favorite based on earlier form.

For Federer meanwhile, I don't know what to make of Dmitrov. Seemed to have fallen off a cliff, so Federer will be happy to get an unseeded guy this late. Can he at least take Fed to 5 like he did in his career hilight with Nadal in AO 2017?

Then Federer would have to go against winner of Wawrinka vs Medvedev which looks like it could go 5 sets itself. I thought Wawrinka was done, is this a Wawrinka that can take it to Fed in the semis? He lost relatively easily in the French on what would be his best surface against Federer so dont know if he can take it to him on the hard. Maybe the higher seed, despite never having gone this far in a GS would be the tougher matchup?

Dimitrov is cool to watch but Federer does literally everything better than him except running at this point, and Fed doesn't need to run as much. Medvedev is already tired right now after his long US summer and doesn't match up well vs Fed. Wawrinka is 0-17 vs Federer on hard court. And that is the biggest reason the sTaNiMaL meme should die.

Berrettini doesn't really have a backhand, and Nadal would routine him. Monfils might be a threat in Bo3, but his stamina is the worst. I guess Medvedev and Monfils would be the 'biggest threats' but we're still talking single digit percentages.

I don't think Nadal's body will fail him. He hasn't overplayed and he hasn't played really long matches.

What a f*cking match between monflis and berrettini. I mean most of the drama came from consistant choking from one of the two but still that was amazing

Yep. It wasn't my plan at all to be up that late as I had to awaken at 6 am but there was nothing I could do there.

In Wimbledon, Berrettini was murdered by Federer, hopefully he can put up a bit more of a fight against Nadal.

Yep. It wasn't my plan at all to be up that late as I had to awaken at 6 am but there was nothing I could do there.

In Wimbledon, Berrettini was murdered by Federer, hopefully he can put up a bit more of a fight against Nadal.
Nadal wasn't particularly impressive against Schwartzman, don't know if because injured (arm) or simply out of sync. He missed a ton of forehands, most of which were unforced errors.

Berrettini might be satisfied with what he has achieved but if he plays at his best he could put up a decent fight. His backhand is still underwhelming but has improved, he can play a good slice if needed.

Maybe my memory just fails me but that is maybe the best matches I ever saw. I'm sure federer djokovic this year was better(I missed good parts of it) but this was just crazy.

Mentally rafa was cracking everytime he got near the win and Medvedev kept coming back. The atmosphere was hot. I though it was destiny he would win actually.

The number of games that went to deuce or at least 30-30 was ridiculous esecialy in the last set. Medvedev was incredible for a guy who two matches ago looked like he was about to retire.

TRENDING THREADS