• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Federer always remind us in every press conference or interview that he needs to take breaks to keep playing for long time but everytime he takes a break his level varies from bad to totally crap in the first matches after the break and this year he won his only Master 1000 at Miami on the back of Dubai and Indian Wells and he hit his best level between Roland Garros and Winbledon in the busiest part of his season.

Federer always remind us in every press conference or interview that he needs to take breaks to keep playing for long time but everytime he takes a break his level varies from bad to totally crap in the first matches after the break and this year he won his only Master 1000 at Miami on the back of Dubai and Indian Wells and he hit his best level between Roland Garros and Winbledon in the busiest part of his season.
Fed needs the breaks to play a million exho's in the off season

Two matches against Federer and Djokovic, two wins. Pretty sharp work by Thiem.

Federer really has to step up big time tomorrow if he wants to proceed to the semifinals for the 16th time (these stats are starting to become mind-boggling).
Starting?

Anyway Thiem definitely broke through on HC for me. His Slams have been hurt by injuries and illness but he won a 1000 and 2 500s on HC this year. If he gets Nadal in the semi's he could become the first player (I think) to beat all the Big 3 in one tournament, only to probably get a Big 3 player in the final again

But i didn't say that he's not good enough to play in the ATP tour, i said that if he prefers to take breaks that make him play bad when he returns to prioritize exhibitions doesn't worth continuing.

As i said previously "this year he won his only Master 1000 at Miami on the back of Dubai and Indian Wells and he hit his best level between Roland Garros and Winbledon in the busiest part of his season" and i don't think this is a coincidence, he needs to play to reach a level good enough to compete for the win in big tournaments but he's doing the opposite more and more.

I wonder if Fed still believes he can win in Australia. Or he's taking it slower cause the Olympics will make the summer schedule even bigger. I could see somebody outside the Big 3 winning the USO because of that.

Djokovic-Federer for a semi spot today. Don't see how Djokovic can lose to be honest. Nadal got off very luckily yesterday, and still has a shot at qualifying. Zverev went from great to horrendous in all of 5 minutes vs Tsitsipas yesterday.

Quite the anticlimax from Fed today. Going 1/12 on break points, still one better than vs Tsitsipas in Australia earlier in the year.

I wonder what happened. Perhaps he pushed himself too hard vs Djokovic but that would imply he's literally playing almost all matches at 80%.

Djokovic played pretty bad against Federer, especially in the first set his return was terrible (i don't remember him winning a single point on Federer's 2nd serve in the entire set) and i think that's helped a lot the old man in his win.
Yeah Djoko wasn't great, and I think Fed's mentality is really different in different matches. He's not afraid of losing against Djokovic, and Djoko put up no pressure to give Fed a chance to start playing worse.

Meanwile, Thiem vs Tsistsipas. *** I hope Thiem wins.

Spain vs Serbia for all the marbles in the brand new ATP cup.

Djokovic has looked average so far, Nadal has looked bad. On this surface Djoko probably easily beats Nadal, while RBA probably easily beats Lajovic, which hopefully means Djoko and Nadal will also play doubles for the title. That would be fun.

Was fun seeing Kyrgios actually try and then fail badly vs RBA.

Federer seems resigned to finishing third all-time in GS wins:

“I think the way it’s going, obviously, Rafa and Novak will win more,” Federer told Howard Fendrich of the Associated Press in Dubai, “because they’re that good. And the season they had (in 2019), again, shows that there is more to come for them.”

Not quite sure why he'd say it. Also, Nadal, fine. But Djokovic looks like a massive shade on the younger players to me.

But then it's Federer who's shades are usually very unintentional.

This is the real life equivalent of the fan who says "ok it's over" 10 minutes into a game when the first thing goes wrong.

Didn't see it. Gotta hand it to the old man to still dig it out in these sorts of matches.

Tsitsipas straight setted by Raonic must hurt. Raonic is clearly underranked when he plays like this, but Tsitsipas had nothing at all and, but this does make the 4th consecutive Grand Slam where Tsitsipas loses in the first week while being a top 8 seed. I do think Raonic is a horrible matchup for him though.

TRENDING THREADS