• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He didn't play very well at all, had a pretty bad errors to winners ratio, but he was really, really clutch when Millman at last got a little nervous in the end.
Sometimes it does happen tho that the eventual winner has a tough five setter in an early round.

Looking at the draw Feds got by far the easiest one to get to the semis. Fucsovics next and then at worst, fognini who would be in only his second gs quarter final and first off clay.

If Djokovic can get there, it becomes hard in the semis of course.

Last edited:
At this stage it seems Margaret Court's Open record will remain out of reach. At 38 years of age I think Williams will struggle to match the record let alone surpass it even though she is only one Open win behind Court. Williams has become much more beatable in the last few years.
She roflstomped her way to both the Wimbledon and USO finals while being less fit than she is now. She choked like the last 4 Slam finals.

She roflstomped her way to both the Wimbledon and USO finals while being less fit than she is now. She choked like the last 4 Slam finals.
Exactly my point. She can't seem to sustain it for a whole tournament anymore at least in the big four. Yes she won the Auckland Open.............she has had a fair share of health issues of course and time off. But age is also a partial factor especially in the women's game when 15 year olds seem to often make good progress. But of course the women don't have the big four, or big three now like the men so I guess she still has some chance especially as the top 10 women seem to be up and down a lot more than the men. Be interesting to see how far Barty can go as world number one.

Exactly my point. She can't seem to sustain it for a whole tournament anymore at least in the big four. Yes she won the Auckland Open.............she has had a fair share of health issues of course and time off. But age is also a partial factor especially in the women's game when 15 year olds seem to often make good progress. But of course the women don't have the big four, or big three now like the men so I guess she still has some chance especially as the top 10 women seem to be up and down a lot more than the men.
It should be easier for the women in a Grand Slam cause they get a day off. There's not a Big 3 in the women's game to stop her either. Sure there's breakout performances from youngsters but then they go back to being completely random for the next year.

Don't like Kyrgios, his attitude is terrible. It's not about being 'different,' or being a 'rebel,' he's just seeking attention. Now he's seeking attention for 'becoming a better person and growing.' Yeah, I don't buy it. I very happy that Nadal took care of him. He should have lost to Khachanov.

Federer escapes, again, and this was even more of an escape than the previous match. As of this writing, Djoković is up a set and a break against Raonić, so that's who Federer will likely play next. If Federer is still hampered by the injury he carried against Sandgren, there is no way he is beating Djoković. If he has recovered and plays loose (he may, as he was so close to losing in the last two match), then he's got a chance, but Djoković is the favorite in that match.

On the other side I'd love to see Nadal and Wawrinka play in the Semis. That'll be a barnburner. Wawrinka isn't what he was 2013-2017, but he and Medvedev played a good match the other day so I expect a competitive match, if both of them go through. Wawrinka gets better as these tournaments progress into the later rounds, so I can see him beating Zverev and Nadal will also have a tough one against Thiem, but he's definitely the favorite in that one.

If those are the four semifinalists, then it'll be another oldie lineup: Federer at 38, Wawrinka at 34, Nadal at 33 and Djoković at 32. It's really crazy. This would have been unheard of even 10 years ago, nevermind 20.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Kyrgios is sometimes funny when he doesn't mean to be but he is a bit of a cartoon character. McEnroe was a much more convincing bad guy but also quite funny at times. Ilie Nastase probably holds the title for tennis player weirdness and humor but also like Kyrgios, should have been getting better results more often. He used to exasperate his opponents with his antics but often they were laughing along with the crowd.

Nadal doesn't nearly adapt his game enough to HCs imo, and especially vs Thiem the play deep behind the baseline is only gonna get him in trouble. Thiem was clearly the better player today, even though both had their chances and mental walkabouts.

Heard that Federer didn't train today, which doesn't spell good news for tomorrow's semi.

Federer choked on the big points vs Djokovic again. Once he lost that break and then the subsequent tiebreak, it was over. He needed that first set, especially because of his less than desired physical condition. He was even a break up in the 2nd set, and lost that one as well. At 2-0 down against Djokovic you can almost forget it.

Thiem has a better chance of beating Djokovic than Zverev does, I don't see how Zverev can hurt Djokovic, especially if his serve starts being subpar again.

The women's side is again unpredictable. Really thought Halep and Barty would come through, based on form, not just on seeding. Muguruza is hit or miss, but she's been more miss the last couple years, so it was a bit surprising to see her get this far. I think the warm conditions played a big role today, the quality definitely dropped.

Federer choked on the big points vs Djokovic again. Once he lost that break and then the subsequent tiebreak, it was over. He needed that first set, especially because of his less than desired physical condition. He was even a break up in the 2nd set, and lost that one as well. At 2-0 down against Djokovic you can almost forget it.

Thiem has a better chance of beating Djokovic than Zverev does, I don't see how Zverev can hurt Djokovic, especially if his serve starts being subpar again.

The women's side is again unpredictable. Really thought Halep and Barty would come through, based on form, not just on seeding. Muguruza is hit or miss, but she's been more miss the last couple years, so it was a bit surprising to see her get this far. I think the warm conditions played a big role today, the quality definitely dropped.
Muguruza doesn't seem to like the heat that much. Remember her getting overcome previously and having to retire. Maybe she was ill beforehand. If she has coped with Melbourne for the past two weeks she should be fine. Still I think Kenin might take the match. Halep of course is unpredictable.

giphy.gif

TRENDING THREADS