• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
3 year ban also, meaning if that holds up, that Novak is out of 2023 & 2024 Aus Opens also.

Well I’m not happy about it but the people got what they wanted. Caught by a ridiculous rule and cheered on by the misguided and ill informed masses.

On the 3 year ban I think discretion can be applied? Else this could jeopardise Australia keeping its Grand Slam?

Last edited:
Well I’m not happy about it but the people got what they wanted. Caught by a ridiculous rule and cheered on by the misguided and ill informed masses.

On the 3 year ban I think discretion can be applied? Else this could jeopardise Australia keeping its Grand Slam?
The AO isn't moving lol. Not because of Djokovic anyway.

Tennis Australia might go broke though due to COVID being a thing. But players aren't gonna boycot or some *** cause Djokovic can't get in.

The problem is that the Minister of Immigration in Australia has unfettered powers and can deny a visa on the basis of a whim. The ministers two reasons for the decision as a threat to health when there are over 100,000 COVID cases a day and over 90% VAXX rate, and a threat to social order, yet there have been protests against lockdowns/Anti Vax for nearly a year is a joke.

Reactions: Cookster15
The problem is that the Minister of Immigration in Australia has unfettered powers and can deny a visa on the basis of a whim. The ministers two reasons for the decision as a threat to health when there are over 100,000 COVID cases a day and over 90% VAXX rate, and a threat to social order, yet there have been protests against lockdowns/Anti Vax for nearly a year is a joke.
Yeah, it looks like a lame excuse after all. Though it should be considered in its legal meaning in current circumstances.

Sloppy case all in all.
Should've it been an example, could've been handled more neatly and implying.
This way just leaves a bad impression regardless of validity.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the reasoning behind the decision is Djokovic ignoring or not fully following Australia's rules for entry into the country of someone who isn't Australian or a permanent resident. I do wonder if he'd have filled out the paperwork properly and handed in proof of both having had Covid recently AND a current negative Covid test this could have been avoided?

This is a sports forum, so I can understand you are talking about this subject here, don't misunderstand this as criticism of your posts, but I have to say, I'm super annoyed by this whole Djokovic-over-reporting in the media.
There's a possible war with Russia looming on the borders of Europe and what makes at least as much, if not more of the major headlines since a week?
Even as an excessive sports viewer I think this is just totally overblown, I get that people are more intrigued by stories of single people they know than "abstract" topics, but I couldn't care less what happens to the guy and even if it was one of my favourite athletes I would say hell, whatever, enough of that now, there are more important things in the world that can make the headlines in reputable media.

This is a sports forum, so I can understand you are talking about this subject here, don't misunderstand this as criticism of your posts, but I have to say, I'm super annoyed by this whole Djokovic-over-reporting in the media.
There's a possible war with Russia looming on the borders of Europe and what makes at least as much, if not more of the major headlines since a week?
Even as an excessive sports viewer I think this is just totally overblown, I get that people are more intrigued by stories of single people they know than "abstract" topics, but I couldn't care less what happens to the guy and even if it was one of my favourite athletes I would say hell, whatever, enough of that now, there are more important things in the world that can make the headlines in reputable media.
To a certain extent it's purposefully overblown.
Serves as a public opinion survey regarding covid matters, turns attention to the AO, raises media traffic and circulation and related assets...
Normally, should've been limited to the tennis universe.

Germany won't participate in eventual conflict with Russia, don't worry. Not good for the North stream.
The things look intriguing around there, I admit. Doubt anybody's that crazy to make the crisis escalate.

Agree the Djokovic saga is totally overblown - especially in Australia as I am sure you could imagine. Also agree what we should be reading about in the headlines is infinitely more serious. We also had a major volcanic eruption / tsunami on our side of the world which grabbed the front pages. But I think the world's media has short attention span it will change soon enough to what is truly important and this thread can return to discussing the remaining players at the AO.

Reactions: BlueRoads
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the reasoning behind the decision is Djokovic ignoring or not fully following Australia's rules for entry into the country of someone who isn't Australian or a permanent resident. I do wonder if he'd have filled out the paperwork properly and handed in proof of both having had Covid recently AND a current negative Covid test this could have been avoided?

Your post is factually wrong - The decision was not about the paperwork being correct or proof of having recently having COVID which was provided by Djokovic - The Ministers decision was that Djokovic was a threat to good order and to the health of the country - In other words it was done for the 'vibe' as there was no hard evidence to support the Minister's assertions.

The High Court's decision is solely based on the legality of the decision by the minster, the contents of the decision are meaningless. The court found that the decision was a legally correct decision so its upheld and there are no appeal rights against High Court decisons as the decision is made by a panel of judges.

Your post is factually wrong - The decision was not about the paperwork being correct or proof of having recently having COVID which was provided by Djokovic - The Ministers decision was that Djokovic was a threat to good order and to the health of the country - In other words it was done for the 'vibe' as there was no hard evidence to support the Minister's assertions.

There was a bit of The Castle vibe in all of this.

Novak flown back home by Airlink? :)

Reactions: Cookster15 and yaco
Raducanu was very up and down. She has a very very strong game when on song though.

Good for Murray getting a win after making the final last week. People forget how he was far and away the best player in the world before his injury woes (including pretty much winning the Davis Cup by himself).

Raducanu was very up and down. She has a very very strong game when on song though.

Good for Murray getting a win after making the final last week. People forget how he was far and away the best player in the world before his injury woes (including pretty much winning the Davis Cup by himself).

Yeah, but Stephens has been useless for the most part since 2018. That scoreline is such a WTA scoreline.

TRENDING THREADS