• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Tits are important, but they are not everything.;)

That's a pretty funny remark. Considering the last time you actually saw a pair was when they accidentally showed "Privates of the Caribbean" at your retirement home.

El Pistolero said:
Tennis can be unpredictable.

Tennis is possibly the most predictable sport.

For one its a simple one on one format so the better usually prevails.

For another its a long period of time (or points anyway), so having a temporary boost of good form will not give you a win. You have to keep the level up to win.

Also the large number of points mean that a wrong call or a mistake will have minimal impact, whereas in many other sports a wrong call can settle the game.

Most importantly, you cannot defend a lead. There is no road or clock to run out. You actually have to grab the win. Even if you are 2 sets and 5 love up, you have to play to a high level to win that final game. If you take your foot of the pedal, you dont get the win.

Thus, most of the sumptuous that cause upsets are choked out. For an upset to come the better player needs to be weaker and the worse player needs to have the game of their lives.

auscyclefan94 said:
El Pisterlero 1 The Hitch 0

I wanted Clijsters to win that match more than Pistolero did, and I predicted that she would win the match.

So I dont really understand.

the asian said:
If he played about 10 years earlier, he would have won 1 or 2 French opens.
Guys like Albert Costa, Gaston Gaudio and Juan Carlos Ferraro all won a French open and Ferrer certainly would have had a decent shot.
For him to win a slam, Djoker, Fed and Nadal all have to be injured at the same time.

David Ferrer is about 10 cm too short. Hes as good a player as anyone else but you just cant cut it in the modern game at 175.

the asian said:
If he played about 10 years earlier, he would have won 1 or 2 French opens.
Guys like Albert Costa, Gaston Gaudio and Juan Carlos Ferraro all won a French open and Ferrer certainly would have had a decent shot.
For him to win a slam, Djoker, Fed and Nadal all have to be injured at the same time.

David Ferrer is about 10 cm too short. Hes as good a player as anyone else but you just cant cut it in the modern game at 175.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
richtea said:
The procession of the top 4 players to seemingly every GS semi-final place without any challenge whatsoever is killing tennis - it is increadibly dull. I was really hoping Berdych could eliminate Nadal today, but right now it looking like that won't happen, and we'll get the same old borish loss for Fed in the next round (I can't believe some of you are actually looking forward to this by the way).

Yeah, and now Djoko is on his way to beat Ferrer for a place in the Semis. It's sad to see that in the Grand Slams and the Masters 1000, only the Semis and Finals are watchable.

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I think part of the problem is that the courts play much more similarly these days with the faster courts being slowed down, and slower courts sped up - in combination with improved string and racquet technology - favours defensive baseline players like Murray, Nadal, and Djokovic and gives players with other styles less of chance.

But I don't think only the semis are watchable - Dolgopolov vs Tomic has been the match of the tournament so far, two rising stars with very unusual styles over 5 sets, it was great. Shame Tomic couldn't do more against Fed but I think Dolgopolov has a more complete game at this stage in time - hoping he will do something impressive this year.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
nobilis said:
Yeah, and now Djoko is on his way to beat Ferrer for a place in the Semis. It's sad to see that in the Grand Slams and the Masters 1000, only the Semis and Finals are watchable.

Djoko is looking a little bit short of breath and he may have a possible hamstrong strain. Ferrer is coming back strong in the 2nd.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Djoko is looking a little bit short of breath and he may have a possible hamstrong strain. Ferrer is coming back strong in the 2nd.

you're right. and now they're in the tie-break.

I don't follow it the way I used to, but I got really tired of Federer and Nadal, and the Williams sisters. So to see others play well is good. I also somewhat miss the glamor days of tennis, if you know what I mean.

images

May 6, 2011
Visit site
The players you pick out all had very different styles, and the surfaces were much more varied back then, so they could flourish in different conditions. However - I think Rafa would still best those clay court players you mention (only Kuerten I'd give a chance as he is a cut above the others) on the old (slower) RG courts. He compensates for his lack of talent with outstanding physical fitness and would be largely unbeatable on those type of courts.

gooner said:
Its so predictable. The was a lot more depth in the game from the sampras era.

For instance would nadal have such an easy ride at the french open with the likes of Sergi Bruguera, Thomas Muster and especially Gustavo Kuerten.

Back then you had a lot better players ranked from about 5 to 15. You had the likes of petr korda who won the australian open and remember the 96 wimbledon final between Richard Kraijcek and Malivai Washington. Who would of predicted a final like that.

I could rack up a list of top class players from then like Courier, Agassi, Edberg, Stich, Rafter, Ivanisevic, Becker, and Chang. Even fellows like Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Dimitri Medvedev, Wayne Ferreira, Cedric Pioline and Guy Forget could give any of the top tier a game on any given day.
I think you mean Andrei Medvedev, not the "president" of russia;)

Oh mother****!!!

I forgot AO has to be special and hold a semi a day early.
was looking forward to a fed nadal djoko murray marathon this night and now i see match 1 has actually already been played and iv seen the outcome.

I feel so stupid. there were clues like when they advertised the match for "tommorow" but i thought they meant the night after tommorow.

Stupid stupid

gooner said:
I think i got a bit ahead of myself there. I remember him in the french open final against agassi. For a player of his ability he should of achieved a lot more in the game.

Yeah hes the dude who should have beaten agassi in tje french. he i believe is some relation to olaksander dolgpolov too and is training him. but my point was his name is andrei not dmitri. dmitri medvedev is the former head of gazprom and current president of its subsidary, the russian federation.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I tried to watch the women's semi's last night but I just couldn't deal with the screaming with Sharapova and the one that beat Clijters.

Now they play eachother. That will be unwatchable....it will sound like one big long scream/grunt during the point. I will not be watching, regardless of how hot Sharapova is. I might tune it for the first few points just to see what it sounds like.

I wish they would outlaw that because it is all BS. Imagine AC or somebody grunting and screaming while climbing from the bottom to the summit. Its ridiculous.

TRENDING THREADS