• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The reasons

The reason behind your username and signature or what influence you to use it. If you don't have a signature what do you think is the racing scene in an alternate universe. My username is because i think it would be a cool name as for my signature, music happens to be a passion and as this two songs are composed specificaly for two of my idols in cycling ..so...

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Zam_Olyas said:
The reason behind your username and signature or what influence you to use it. If you don't have a signature what do you think is the racing scene in an alternate universe.

First thing that popped into my head when asked to choose a user name was: fan of Roger De Vlaeminck, 4 Paris-Roubaix wins. The story behind it goes back to when first I started racing in the early 90's, the shop owner in an effort to teach me what it took to be a bike racer gave me a stack of "must see" videos one of which was 'A Sunday in Hell', and a stack of old magazines and books, one of which was a biography on Roger De Vlaeminck.

Since I don't have a signature, I think the racing scene in an alternate universe is much better if it's run completely opposite of how the UCI is run in this universe. :)

Because of my job I have way too many user names and passwords. So when I created my CN forum account I was trying to think of something unforgettable to me. At the time, I had been playing a lot of multiplayer Call of Duty. There was some guy running around in the game laying waste to everyone, but he wasn't a hack. He could actually be killed in the game. Anyways, his calling card as he ran around wasting everyone was "I'm a one man army". That just stuck in my head and when I joined the forum I thought it would be something I couldn't forget. So far that has worked.

steelciocc

Ciocc002.jpg

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
My username is a pun. We're all familiar with the phrase 'rue the day'. I changed the spelling to 'roue' which is French for 'wheel', as in that thing on a bicycle. ;)

Also, during the 8th grade a classmate started calling me 'roo' as a nickname. To this day, I've never understood why. Did I remind him of a kangaroo? Or was he calling me a 'rube' or accusing me of being 'rude' and I just wasn't picking up on that last syllable? Shortly before he started this I had started wearing a shirt my grandmother had embroidered for me with my initials on the collar- 'DEW'. Perhaps he was goofing on that by using a word that rhymed with the word that my initials spelled. You know, kind of a 'Redneck Rhyming Slang'. :rolleyes: By the way, my mother's initials also spell an actual word and she claims it's an old wive's tale that that brings you luck. I guess there are always exceptions, though. Anyway, this kid's popularity was only second-tier, so, fortunately, his little nickname never caught on with the other kids. Now that I think about it, this kids name was 'Terry', so he could have been an especially easy target for the 'Redneck Rhyming Slang', eh. :p

Too many passwords and such... I was dinking around on this forum as I had to post my first opinion in the clinic....and I already had mewmew13 as a username on tripadvisor so just making it easy for my brain.
As I was trying to register it kept spitting back and saying 'name already taken' ???!
I got a little irritated and just kept adding 'mews'...oh well. Then I found out I couldn't really alter my username after that...
meh
:p

at least it's different

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
the delgados said:
The Delgados were a critically acclaimed indie rock band from Scotland who named themselves after Tour de France winner Pedro Delgado.

Who ironically were inspired to name their album 'Peloton' by Robert Millar and his exploits (I think?), and of course Millar and Delgado had a bit of history from the 85 Vuelta. Richard Moore talks about it in 'In search of Robert Millar.'

Which leads me onto my username, avatar, and sig... Username because I enjoy watching climbers who dance up a mountain and make it look effortless. Moore's book was the first cycling book that I ever read properly and therefore Millar is one of the cyclists whose video's I love to watch on Youtube - hence why my avatar is him on his first ever Tour stage win, and my sig is an amusing satirical article re Cavendish that I saw posted on here, and the video of Millar's first victory. I could watch that brutal acceleration over and over again!

Thank you all. Hrotha, re username i think zam means climb in some indo-tibetan language eg pumpkin is a climbing tree lol, i came to know about in the hills of northern india some yrs back, when i google zam there is a website www. zam.com.Olyas are initial of some ppl close to me.(pet names n real)

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
nobilis is my name in latin. I use it almost everywhere over the internet. My avatar and signature because i'm a big fan of Valverde, obvisouy ;)

Share the same name as an Aussie pro cyclist from days of yonder, so choose this instead.

Avatar is of Pascal Richard, whom I admired for his happiness as much as his riding. Search for photos of him, in almost every one he's smiling. A great way to get through life if you ask me.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
me Well - I am a member of another forum re my job so use my name in that, most here are annons so in a split second came with the most anonymous name I could.

Although not the greatest name maybe Random would have been better I am stuck with it although I do know that names can be changed if an admin wants too -

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Share the same name as an Aussie pro cyclist from days of yonder, so choose this instead.

Avatar is of Pascal Richard, whom I admired for his happiness as much as his riding. Search for photos of him, in almost every one he's smiling. A great way to get through life if you ask me.

Skippy ? ................

Arriviste is French for a latecomer, though in my case I tried not to adopt the negative attributes normally associated with that. It reflects my feelings about entering the fray here and this is still the only forum on which I post. French is my second language and I live in Belgium and I'm a latecomer to those too, having begun to lurk here around the same time.

My sig is of course for one of my website projects, which was partly inspired by using the CN forum too.

Avatar is and always has been the Panasonic-Sportlife jersey 1990-2, which was my favourite team as a kid.:)

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I originally came to this forum from another cycling forum. Over there, if I recall correctly, some people had been arguing that Lance Armstrong was responsible for introducing dopage to the previously wholesome world of the pro peloton. I thought that was a ridiculous assertion, so I took as my user name "Maxiton." Maxiton is, or was, the brand name for the form of amphetamines most popular with the peloton in the early 1960s. This was Jacques Anquetil's preferred brand, and while I may be mistaken, I believe it was also the brand found in Tom Simpson's jersey when he died.

I chose my Felix the Cat icon because I was tired of the Anquetil icon I'd used in the other forum, but also because Felix looks a little bit like what you see when you're on Maxiton, lol, or so they tell me. And Felix obviously has a sense of humor, a fact that suits me pretty well.

PS. It used to be, you could Google "maxiton" and come up with some pretty decent info about use of the drug in cycling. Now, mostly all you get are my posts in this forum. :D:eek:

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
I originally came to this forum from another cycling forum. Over there, if I recall correctly, some people had been arguing that Lance Armstrong was responsible for introducing dopage to the previously wholesome world of the pro peloton. I thought that was a ridiculous assertion, so I took as my user name "Maxiton." Maxiton is, or was, the brand name for the form of amphetamines most popular with the peloton in the early 1960s. This was Jacques Anquetil's preferred brand, and while I may be mistaken, I believe it was also the brand found in Tom Simpson's jersey when he died.

I chose my Felix the Cat icon because I was tired of the Anquetil icon I'd used in the other forum, but also because Felix looks a little bit like what you see when you're on Maxiton, lol, or so they tell me. And Felix obviously has a sense of humor, a fact that suits me pretty well.

PS. It used to be, you could Google "maxiton" and come up with some pretty decent info about use of the drug in cycling. Now, mostly all you get are my posts in this forum. :D:eek:

Almost forgot about the other universe. The other universe is actually where you want to be. Over there, cycling teams are community based affairs, with no drugs, no corrupt practices, and no corrupt people. They're pretty serious about racing though. And Eddy Merckx is still the greatest racer of all time.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I needed to post a question on a car forum a long while ago and decided to not use my main work email address to join due to spam issues. I couldn't use my real name because it was taken and as you know with hotmail, if its taken the usually recommend something stupid ike Martin465636

So, in a fit of inspiration I created an account I could remember by using my name and model of the car I had then, an E30 bmw 318is. sad but true

TRENDING THREADS