• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The reasons

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maxiton said:
Almost forgot about the other universe. The other universe is actually where you want to be. Over there, cycling teams are community based affairs, with no drugs, no corrupt practices, and no corrupt people. They're pretty serious about racing though. And Eddy Merckx is still the greatest racer of all time.

Whatcha talking about ? i thought eddy was still the greatest even here :D ... Much as c&c fan might tell us that he aint the greatest..:p oh wait! is there a new poll?:D. Apologize for being off topic please continue on with OP

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Whatcha talking about ? i thought eddy was still the greatest even here :D ... Much as c&c fan might tell us that he aint the greatest..:p oh wait! is there a new poll?:D. Apologize for being off topic please continue on with OP

No, no, it's a given that he's the greatest here. I meant that, in a universe where cycling is devoid of drugs, corrupt people and corrupt practices, Eddy Merckx is still the greatest.

Also, in that alternate universe, c&c fan is mature and thoughtful. :D

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
name of the bike sharing scheme in Barcelona because i like it a lot
avatar of Christophe Bassons because of his story
signature is absent

Name avatar and sig tributes to my favorite mind.

Sig - "The" links to a video of him on a evangelical radio show playing a game called "What if"

"Hitch" links to a video of 22 comments by him, as chosen by some fan.

"The Greatest Grand Tour ever" links to the official RCS recap video of the 2010 Giro d' Italia, as seen at the 2011 Giro presentation.

Comments from Alberto Contador and Angelo Zomegnan.

"Jaremy is Coming" links to a scene from Poland's great national novel.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The name is a combination of my first Colnago a Master Olympic and my recent acquisition a C 50. My Avatar is a Bucky ball which is a carbon structure I don't know what it may create but bedsides being a bucky ball it is ask called C-50 (carbon 50) or buckminsterfulerene

The Hitch said:
"Hitch" links to a video of 22 comments by him, as chosen by some fan.

Checking out the links, I came across a reference to David Ramsay Steele and I'll have to check him out (especially as he's almost my namesake).

Thomas the Tank Engine is obviously a reference to my favourite rider. I'll have to get a decent signature though to counterbalance its inanity.

Tank Engine said:
Thomas the Tank Engine is obviously a reference to my favourite rider. I'll have to get a decent signature though to counterbalance its inanity.

My new signature references other of my favourite Thomases, including our national poet (which includes a nod to one of my favourite bands). The link to The Cathedral is also a reference to my favourite Polish author - Jacek Dukaj, whose story this Oscar winning animation is based upon. The final "quote" is a reference to my profession.

My name is an obvious reference to the song by Van Morrison. Personally it's neither my favorite song or artist (although I certainly enjoy both as well), but rather my mother's favorite, and as such when I was a little Moondance this song could often be heard on the stereo at home. A bit of nostalgia.

I am prone to changing my sig quite a lot, although it's usually a either a passage from literature, or else a quote from someone, which in some way reflects on a current situation. Right now they're the very beautiful words spoken by Kent in the final part of King Lear when Lear finally dies. I chose it as a reference to current crisis in Europe, where the leaders are trying desperately to save a currency which, by all rights, should no longer exist and needs to be abolished ASAP.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
krebs was a nickname my cousin gave me when I was 12/13 years old. It was in reference to Jim Krebs a basketball player and Maynard G. Krebs from the Dobie Gillis TV show.

My sig changes depending on my mood

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I am enjoying this thread greatly...thanks Zam. All of yours are so creative and well developed...mine seems simple by contrast.
Quixote is perfect for me...that's it. I did, however, reject several others prior to the final selection.

Rejected usernames by Quixote:

Stillcontagious
Homelybuthappy
Soiledmypants
Kickme
iamnotananimal
Wheelsucker
Gottagetthelastword

fedaia said:
your name is so nice! always reminds me of cats & music :)

mine is obvious. signed up shortly after giro, with the pictures still in mind

picture.php

aw thanks :eek:

guess I forgot to mention that I love cats....:p

I always form a mental image from reading others' usernames too...

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
pretty obvious. I am called Dave and i used to live in Zambia. Use the name a fair amount as Daves are very common but Zambians are not so saves having to use DaveM234 etc on various websites.

reading here wishing i gave it more thought but like many, was reading annoymously until read something i felt the urgent need to reply to and used the first thing that came into my head. Thought i could always change it later.

daveinzambia said:
pretty obvious. I am called Dave and i used to live in Zambia. Use the name a fair amount as Daves are very common but Zambians are not so saves having to use DaveM234 etc on various websites.

reading here wishing i gave it more thought but like many, was reading annoymously until read something i felt the urgent need to reply to and used the first thing that came into my head. Thought i could always change it later.

welcome to the 'speak first think later' group :p

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I had a bit of an issue with my original username Slapshot but came back to behave. Sirius is the middle one of our three cats, that's him in the avatar, huge big black cat but a big softy.

The sig - I'm in shape, round is a shape ; lets put it this way I'm not stick thin :rolleyes:

I am an unashamed fan of Berto, the most exceptional bike rider of this generation and possibly for ever.

The link is to the forum I kind of own on behalf of a group.

parrulo is simple what every single one of my friends has been calling me since i was like 6 or so . . . . the name was some sort of heritage from my father as thats what they used to call him and my father got it from his father, so i am the third generation parrulo :eek:

funny enough 90% of the people on the internet misspell it and type parullo which i honestly have gotten used with time so i don't even noticed the typo most of the times, i also used to be hardcore ogame player (still play less actively but i am still amongst the highest ranked players) and every1 used to call me Par there, i actually like the sound of Par and was about to use it as my username here but at the last sec changed it for the full name

May 6, 2009
Visit site
It's pretty obvious for me, Craig is my first name and '1985' being the year that I was born. As for my sig, it's a tribute to Wouter, Xavi, and theswordsman.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
i am usually reticent about providing personal details, but this is an interesting thread, so i thought i'd contribute.

my username is based on an 11 number entry code that i was given. to remember such a long code, i try to make an anagram of it. if you look at it on numeric keypad it's pretty easy to figure out. i no longer use that code as the codes are changed pretty often, but i always remember this anagram because it was the easiest one to remember.

my signature... i have no idea why i chose it. perhaps some of the more insightful forumites can provide an answer.

I chose the name to distinguish myself from all of you...

A few of us runner folk float around the forum; the sports really complement each other. It is pretty literal: I only own a commuter bike (decomissioned for the winter), but log quite a few miles per week on my feet (average out at about 100M/160k over the summer).

Also, I liked the rhyme.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I chose this name after going for a ride when I was overtired and in no condition to exercise. I basically pedalled squares the entire time and when I joined the forum a few hours later that ride was fresh in my mind.

My username refers to the gearing on my converted CAAD 7 that I use for commuting and preseason training km's. Wanted something cycling specific rather than my normal site/forum username.

The avatar is a reminder of when I met Phil Anderson and didn't realise who he was until about 5 minutes into the conversation :p

The sig is a good definition of an internet troll I once posted to describe a former forumite who had multiple usernames as well as a statement that I like cannondales :)

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Name comes a T-shirt and couple guys I rode with few years ago. If a guy fell back to the back of the group during the ride, one loud mouth always said they rode like girls! There were only two girls in the group. We weren't always in the back! We would point that out, but can't reason with dumb!

I had a pink t-shirt that has that slogan. Changed into it one day after the ride, when I had to go somewhere immediately after the ride. A couple guys had shirts made with same slogan and wore them the next time the loud mouth rode with the group. that ride, everyone was fighting for space in the grupetto, the loudmouth had to lead the entire ride. I have been known as rides like a girl ever since!

No signature, admire many, but not committed to any.

Avatar from my TDF 2010 trip. Enjoyed Paris podium celebration, they put flags from podium winners up poles, like the olympics. Enjoyed that part of the podium celebration. Fan of Spanish climbers, so it fit.

My username is based on a the last name of a cyclist with whom I share the first name... Lukáš Fus, podiumed in the junior Worlds, but not much of a career since then. The "0" was required as usernames on CN have to be at least 6 characters, and the "87" refer to my birth year.

No signature or avatar obviously.

TRENDING THREADS