• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Red Bull - Bora - Hansgrohe team thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some news here today.
John Wakefield is going to be the head of development and will be in charge for the U19 and U23 program. Christian Schrot will leave the team.

In a different articel Denk mentioned that the never had the problem to identify the talented riders but it was not always possible to convince them to join because they were not able to match the career paths that other teams could offer (money of course is a big part to). But with the new structures they can close the gap structure and money wise.

The new devo Team will start with 12 riders and is likely to grow over the years. This means to me that they will ride a small calender with the focus on some highlights. This is what they are actually doing in the U19 at the moment.
Maybe Paris Roubaix Espoirs, Giro Next Gen etc.

Very interesting choice, I wish him all the best.

Reg Schrot it sounds like it was his choice more or less.

Reg the new team, I am really curious which riders they can pray away from other dev teams as I think the Red Bull part is very interesting for young riders.

Also new head of scouting: Tim Meeusen. Not sure but I think he was also their scout until now.
Great to see how they use their newfound recources

Denk confirmed that Kämna is leaving. Denk wanted to see how his healing progress is before resigning him. Kämna then signed at different team, probably Lidl-Trek.
Trek signing everyone before they see how they have recovered (TGH and Kämna) is a bit concerning. You'd think everyone would be afraid of a rider pulling a Froome...

That said, maybe Bora could have offered Kämna either a 1 year deal right away or you wait to see how his recovery goes before offering a longer contract (2-3 years).

Reactions: xo 1 and Sandisfan
Denk confirmed that Kämna is leaving. Denk wanted to see how his healing progress is before resigning him. Kämna then signed at different team, probably Lidl-Trek.
Understandable for Denk from a financial perspective , but to a rider suggests lack of confidence in their importance to the team and ablity to recover. Not surprising Kamma is off.
If they really wanted to keep him the situation should have been managed better.

Understandable for Denk from a financial perspective , but to a rider suggests lack of confidence in their importance to the team and ablity to recover. Not surprising Kamma is off.
If they really wanted to keep him the situation should have been managed better.
Agreed. But there's also another huge factor: Lidl wants the team to sign notable German riders. There aren't that many anymore that can deliver and Kämna (if healthy) is at the top of the list. Would be also no surprise if the take Schachmann into the roster. So Lidl is very motivated to sign Kämna and probably was in contact with him for monts also before the crash. So possibly the transfer would have been done either way.

Unclear where Bora (or RBBH) is heading in the future. i think the team is loosing there way and will probably not live up to the standard of the bad tasting drink that sponsors them. Was very sad to see Denk selling his shares but on the other side he is in the last 2 years a big part of the problem when it comes to the transfers losses and roster decisions. Lucky for him that Hindley won the Giro because without that the result of his shift and strategy would be much more questioned.

Agreed. But there's also another huge factor: Lidl wants the team to sign notable German riders. There aren't that many anymore that can deliver and Kämna (if healthy) is at the top of the list. Would be also no surprise if the take Schachmann into the roster. So Lidl is very motivated to sign Kämna and probably was in contact with him for monts also before the crash. So possibly the transfer would have been done either way.
Yes, Lidl wants some german riders. I also thought about Schachmann. Teutenberg and Behrens could go up in the next 1-2 years. On the other hand it really crowded hat Lidl-Trek at the moment. Not much space for new riders.

Schachmann and Gamper to Jayco.
As expected, Max leaves the team.

All in all I think the incoming riders are way stronger then the ones who leave. Only Lenny hurts I think.

In my estimation the departure of Emu, Max and Higuita should free something like 2 mil.
You have this money on top of the Red Bull financial boost.
Of course they already used it for Pithie, Lazkano etc. but I doubt that they are done

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lührs will leave the Team (confirmed by Denk). Talks with Haller will take Place, but to me it sounded Not very likely that Haller will stay.

Not suprised by the Lührs news. Somehow he didn’t really progress I think.
Suprised by the Haller news. I figured he would be still useful in races not named TdF.

If Haller also leaves they have 9 open spots?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Are you serious. At this stage, Lipowitz has shown nothing to indicate he can podium a GT.

Agreed, all we know is he could've won Romandie if he wasn't so green behind the ears, and that he won the Sibiru Tour against Leknessund, which indicates he's on a good track for the Vuelta. But it will be very interesting to see how he can do for sure.

Some more news from Benson were coming in, can´t read everything (its behind a paywall - maybe one of you read the whole articel?), but i´ll try to do a short update.

Lets start with the contract extensions which happend in the last weeks.

- Vlasov
- Hindley
- Denz
- Lipowitz

On the other side Benedetti announced his career ending. Buchmann will not renew his contract with Bora. Higuita is linked with 3 other world tour teams, Kämna is heavily linked with Lidl Trek (i´m sad about this), but Denk mentioned some days ago that the team wants to extend the contract with him. He also mentioned that a contract extension with Schachmann is complicated because he does not like to extent contracts with a smaller wage than the existing one. So if Schachmann can deliver some results in the coming races than maybe this will happen, but i think that Schachmann is also leaving.

These riders are still unknown
- Aleotti (was mentioned in the Benson news but i don´t know what it says about him)
- Jungels (some rumours about leaving, but also Denk mentioned that he is making a transition to road captain, that sounds like a possible contract extension for me)
- Sobrero (no rumours in any direction)
- Koch
- Palzer
- Lührs
- Zwiehoff (he was a guest in a german podcast and there it sounded like hes not leaving, but its more or less a guessing from my side)
- Meeus
- Gamper
- Haller (mentioned as free agent)

News about incoming riders:

- Pellizzari
- Tim van Dijcke
- Mick van Dijcke
- Finn Fisher-Black
- Jan Tratnik
- Oier Lazkano
- Laurance Pithie

According to PCS and the news. 14 Riders with a valid contract for next year + 7 new riders = 21 Riders
27 Riders already safe for next season according to benson. This means that some more riders have a valid contract or already signed a renewal.
So i think Aleotti, Jungels, Sobrero, Meeus, Zwiehoff, Koch already signed contract extensions.

The open contracts or talks with Gamper, Haller, Schachmann and Kämna are for the last 3 spots and maybe one new addition?
Palzer and Lührs are out or will join the Devo Team (just my opinion).

Any additions?
And again an update and summary of the last weeks.

We are at 21 Riders with a valid contract according to pcs and the transfer news.
Denk confirmed the departure of Schachmann and Lührs.

These riders are still unknown or heavily linked to different teams:

- Aleotti (was mentioned in the Benson news but i don´t know what it says about him)
- Jungels (heavily linked with ineos)
- Koch (no rumours in any direction)
- Palzer (no rumours in any direction)
- Zwiehoff (no rumours in any direction)
- Meeus (wielerflits mentioned a contract extension)
- Haller (talks will take place in the next days)
- Gamper (linked to jayco)

So there will be a minimum of two more new additions which we haven´t heard about. And i think even more are possible because i can´t imagine that all the above mentioned riders (excepted Jungels, Gamper) renew the contract or Bora wants to renew the contracts.
Any suggestions? Did i missed any serious rumors?

Lets switch to the upcoming racing. Who will start the vuelta?
Martinez is very likely because he didn´t participated in any race after the giro and he performed very well at the giro.
Lipowitz will start according to Bora.
Roglic is very likely if he can recover til end of july, currently he is just able to ride indoors.
Meeus will ride the vuelta and he stayed at altitude with Maciejuk, so i think Maciejuk will be also at the vuelta.

So five spots have been taken. Who could jump on the vuelta train?
Vlasov? Can´t see someone recover from a broken ankle and be competitive at the vuelta.
Aleotti and Zwiehoff are on the longlist according to media interviews. If you look at the contract situations the following riders could be part of a vuelta line up: Adria, Koch, Mullen, Wandahl

My team would be:

Roglic, Martinez, Lipowitz, Zwiehoff, Adria, Meeus, Maciejuk, Koch

We are at 21 Riders with a valid contract according to pcs and the transfer news.

So there will be a minimum of two more new additions which we haven´t heard about. And i think even more are possible because i can´t imagine that all the above mentioned riders (excepted Jungels, Gamper) renew the contract or Bora wants to renew the contracts.

Martinez is very likely because he didn´t participated in any race after the giro and he performed very well at the giro.
Roglic is very likely if he can recover til end of july, currently he is just able to ride indoors.
Meeus will ride the vuelta and he stayed at altitude with Maciejuk, so i think Maciejuk will be also at the vuelta.

Vlasov? Can´t see someone recover from a broken ankle and be competitive at the vuelta.
Aleotti and Zwiehoff are on the longlist according to media interviews. If you look at the contract situations the following riders could be part of a vuelta line up: Adria, Koch, Mullen, Wandahl

My team would be:

Great summary.
I wonder what’s going on with Welsford? He hasn’t raced in a long time. I thought that back then that he moves to the Vuelta after the Giro removal.

Ryan Mullen did a pretty decent job at the Giro, I wonder if he’s on the longlist as well.

My team would be:

Aleotti is staying, according to Benson.

Reactions: Statze2
Had the same thought. If Roglic can get fit and Hindley in form, they could go with Rogla, Martinez, Hindley and Lipowitz, which would look pretty strong for the mountains.
After Tirreno, Hindley was three times sick before the Tour. I don't expect him at the Vuelta, he will get a break and then prepare for the Italian classics.
Vlasov should be ready for the Vuelta.