• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 183 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Thinking about it I came to the conclusion that DQS must have told him a thousand times "don't overpace, don't overpace, stay smart, don't overpace..." fearing that he will get too enthusiastic and waste his energy.
That’s what I was thinking too. They clearly had the reins held tight; if it was a one-day race he would have taken up some of the pulling with Bernal to create a bigger gap to the group behind (Yates especially.)

Except when Wiggins won because of TT's, that didn't show he was well rounded, it showed he got lucky in a TT heavy course IIRC, that was designed specifically for him or some other absurd xenophobic nonsense.

Hmm. i would say that Wiggins was pretty well-rounded that year. not the best at climbing, but in the top group. sure he benefitted from the long ITTs. just like anquetil, frankly and no one criticizes him for winning 5 TDFs.

but what is the definition of well-rounded for you -- someone who can only climb? ;-)

Hmm. i would say that Wiggins was pretty well-rounded that year. not the best at climbing, but in the top group. sure he benefitted from the long ITTs. just like anquetil, frankly and no one criticizes him for winning 5 TDFs.

but what is the definition of well-rounded for you -- someone who can only climb? ;-)
Well Wiggins didn't have to show climbing on any real mountain stages, meanwhile the best climbers off that year were off not battling in the Giro and then going nuts in the Vuelta.

Seriously every stage race Wiggins won in 2012 had a shambolically TT favored route.

Well Wiggins didn't have to show climbing on any real mountain stages, meanwhile the best climbers off that year were off not battling in the Giro and then going nuts in the Vuelta.

Seriously every stage race Wiggins won in 2012 had a shambolically TT favored route.

sure. i agree.

i think this is kind of a pointless debate at this point. people who prefer climbers or have followed cycling only recently will want climbers to be in the running for GC. my only peeve here is that GTs are off-balance at the moment, favoring climbers too much. in the past, climbers like Bahamontes or Van Impe only could win one TDF, and only when it was particularly mountainous and Fuente never won. climbers were often top ten material and climbers jersey only. i preferred it when a GT rewarded the best all-rounder, guys who can kick butt on an ITT, and defend against the pure climbers in the high mountains (e.g. Merckx, Hinault, LeMond, etc.).

Reactions: spalco
He looks really good considering where he's from after around ten months without a race.

I like the fact that he takes it for granted that he sees himself as a favorite/ challenger when I look at his position in the field, always in front like a naturally born leader for the podium. He's got a good team around too. It remains to be seen how he will fare on the long and difficult mountain stages. I am quite confident, however. It's good to have the young Belgian with us. The Giro generally has an attractive range of favorites compared to last year. (We all miss Landa of course).

Its early days but from Remco's perspective this is starting to look like the 2011 TdF and we all know how that ended.

Difference is Evenepoel is so young. There are still questions to be answered e.g. how he lasts over three weeks and repetitive huge climbs in the 3rd week but so far he is passing with flying colors.

TRENDING THREADS