• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 258 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Pog was in good shape only at Tirreno. For the rest of the year he wasn't: even at the Tour is numbers were below his best (as his doctor confirmed).
That is quite terrifying then o_O...

I guess Remco and Pogi will have a bit of the same schedule for the rest of the year: european championships, worlds (a probably for Remco) and Lombardy. That will be a first that they target the sames races I think.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That is quite terrifying then o_O...

I guess Remco and Pogi will have a bit of the same schedule for the rest of the year: european championships, worlds (a probably for Remco) and Lombardy. That will be a first that they target the sames races I think.

I was semi joking though :p But yeah, we'll see. I had high hopes for their Olympics clash but it backfired. Lombardia should be interesting, Pog has to be considered an early favourite there. I'm hoping he will take part in the Giro next year (would be their first GT clash) but that's not very likely methinks.

I'm not really into how Evenepoel is making tactics and technique irrelevant to cycling, but I have to get used to it, clearly.
I like it. Because its not like tactics is irrelevant. Its just Evenepoel (and MvdP) with no classic road cycling background trying things that where previously considered unreasonable. That creates positive events of chaos in my opinion.

MvdP has done plenty of road racing since childhood.

Good riding skills and a developed tactical sense are crucial to save energy during a race for most riders. When you are strong enough to just ride away from everyone, the physical aspect takes completely over. That's kind of boring in the long run.

To be fair, Evenepoel didn't look completely out of this world today.

Great way to win a one day race

Remco is waht you get if you take Gainni Meersman and make him a timetrialist instead of a sprinter.

Shame that quickstep out more emphasis on looking after his royal hihgness instead of their greatest grand tour talent, Fausto Masnada.

Masnada is a talented guy but he is no Almeida or Evenepoel.

Remco may not be a born climber but his talent his undeniable.

I think it's obvious that hilly courses will be his playground in the future. Good climbing properties, but not (yet) on long and heavy climbs. Excellent time trial skills and an amazing endurance. Ideal for hill races and small stage races. And, who knows, maybe in a few years, with experience and better cycling skills, he might be able to compete for the podium in a big stage race, with enough time trial miles.

TRENDING THREADS